• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How's your 2021 list going? (1 Viewer)

Today was my last day in Washington. I fly home tomorrow. Because I had to make the long drive from the north coast of the Olympic Peninsula to Seattle, I was only able to bird until the early afternoon. As a result, I added only one bird to my Year List.

351. White-winged Scoter

All in all it was a great trip. I saw a total of 96 species, of which 35 were new birds for the year and three were lifers. And the Olympic Peninsula has some magnificent mountain scenery and amazing rain forests, unlike anything I’ve seen before.

The downside was that I was scheduled to take a pelagic trip out of Westport on Sunday, but it was cancelled due to rough seas. Therefore I missed a lot of pelagic species, including four potential lifers.

Dave
I'm glad you had a great trip Dave! It's a pity about your pelagic trip though. If the scenery is anything like British Columbia, just over the border then it is something grand.

1 new state bird and 1 new county bird this morning, a trio of Sanderling (rare for this location and time of year, and a state bird) and a surprise Black-bellied Plover (county). The Sanderlings were expected sort of as they had been seen all week. The plover was a bonus. My miserable shorebird list for Wisconsin is improving, even if only in incremental steps!

Fernald Preserve:

142. Mute Swan (I've seen one a couple times before, but they were almost certainly domesticated, so this is my first wild sighting)
143. Gadwall
144. Blue-winged Teal

207. Common Nighthawk

01 Sep 2021

208. Wilson's Snipe

02 Sep 2021

209. Ruby-throated Hummingbird

17 Sep 2021

210. Peregrine Falcon

24 Sep 2021

211. Merlin

25 Sep 2021

212. Swamp Sparrow

25 Sep 2021

213. LeConte's Sparrow

Waterfowl migration continues to ramp up, and I ticked off three more of the common species.
Fernald Preserve:
148. Ring-necked Duck
149. Green-winged Teal
150. American Black Duck

Last edited:
Today at the Steinhorster Becken, Germany:

176 Taiga Bean Goose
177 Firecrest

Not new, but over 20 Common Snipe resting up on migration. The most I've seen at this location

Last edited:
VICTORY!!!

After 4 years of searching, I finally was able to add Red Fox Sparrow to my state list (and only the second time I have seen this species, the last time being in Laramie a decade ago. While a uncommon migrant, they do pass through my area in decent numbers in both the spring and fall, but I have just not had great luck in connecting with them. Actually overall turned out to be a good day for sparrows in general, with six species total including Field, Lincoln's, and American Tree.

Also nice was a good-sized flock of Eastern Bluebirds, my first for the year. Nice to finally see some after the hammering they took from the Texas blizzard last year. Still haven't seen a Hermit Thrush this year, which is often one of the most common migrant thrushes in a normal year.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back