• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoylake Bird Observatory (4 Viewers)

Good for Wildfowl today - visibility 60 miles hardly anyswell and a 75 x scope. Wigeon 1 west, Teal 8 on sea (then 7 when visited by a female Peregrine) Long-tailed Duck - singles three times in flight plus 3 likely candidates on the sea. 70 Scoter, 9 Scaup, 12 Goldeneye and a Red-breasted Merganser. Three Swans, Whooper/Mute and prob former,over the sea towards Ainsdale - they went behind the Isle of Man Ferry so were at least 4 miles out. 14 Red-throated Divers, 500+ Great-crested Grebes, a small grebe spp, then later a bird which I first though(hoped) was the first Little Grebe record,but turned out to be a Black-necked grebe, well on the way (outrageously early) into summer plumage.

A Glaucous Gull at in plain view atMeols, as is customary, failed to show in the 10k Gulls in front of the house. I failed to find a Yellow-legged Gull. (50 for the year)

The only really notable earlier record was a male Velvet Scoter on Jan 3rd.

If someone finds the Glauc in these, don't tell me

Attachments

• SANY0001.JPG
    SANY0001.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 246
  • SANY0002.JPG
    SANY0002.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 242
  • SANY0005.JPG
    SANY0005.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 269
  • SANY0007.JPG
    SANY0007.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 198
  • SANY0008.JPG
    SANY0008.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 201
A few additions to the house list in the week -Siskin, Grey Wagtail and Mallard. A single flock of around c20,000 Knot stretching from inland of the house to the low tide edge was a stunning sight.

Great-spotted Woodpecker and Black Redstart today, latter presumably the one from Red Rocks which has been ranging well up the STanley Rd seafront gardens

hi jane

considering some birds at least navigation ability is linked to magnetism, has anyone ever investigated the effects of the solar cycle on vagrant frequency. for example are we likely to get an increase in lost birds next year because the earth is in for a year of magnetic storms?

it's bizarre what occurs to you when you're trying to work out if we're actually going to be able to see an aurora tomorrow night or not

Whether or not the Northern Lights could be seen from around here, Wirral or not last night looked a bit too overcast earlier on. Did anybody go out to see if the sky cleared later in the evening?

Would love to witness something like this properly. Saw a bit of a glimmer once whilst up on the north coast of Scotland near Thurso. Think a trip to Norway will have to be arranged at some point;)

Ian

I had the email this morning, just after sunrise. Them there Canadians be getting the best of it again.

Well we've built our own magnetometer!

In other news, spring has arrived. A pollen wearing Chiffchaff +one other, a good 20 Goldcrests and a very bright and pale bumed Stonechat - quite likely a continental bird. Also 100+ Meadow Pipits over. Almost certain that the Black Redstart was on the wall earlier, but it left before I got optics on it and I saw no colour

73 for the year

Less passage than yesterday, but still a few Goldcrests in the front, Wheatear visible on the nursing home wall, a Sand Martin through and a couple of adult Little Gulls mucking about by HE3

76 for the year

Spring is stalling a bit - no new Crests or Chiffchaffs and just a few Meadow Pipits keeping the Pied Wagtails company on the beach. A mirror calm sea gave great opportunities to pick up birds on the water. The best was a large Diver spp that I just couldn't nail. 75 Great Crested Grebes 10 Scaup, 400+ Scoter, 7 Red-breasted Mergansers and 6 Goldeneye,but no sign of the Eider flock.

The Black Redstart is still on the sea wall, a Merlin was seen crossing from Hilbre, the usual Peregrine was hassling the Oystercatchers before heading off towards Birkenhead and the small numbers of waders included about 90 Sanderling, 4 Turnstone and 2 Golden plover, the latter two, along with Merlin, new for the year. 79.

The Willow Warbler hasn't stopped singing since yesterday. Two Ravens flew over stratospherically high 2 Jackdaws went west and a Short-eared Owl flopped in off the sea.

86 for the year

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back