• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoylake Bird Observatory (5 Viewers)

Heat haze prevented Spoonbill being added to the house list today, however I did add one to the year list (as opposed to one to the all time list and nearly as far away!)

89 now

Attachments

• SANY0004.JPG
    SANY0004.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
HUGE seabird movement this morning - it looks like last night's squally displaced 1000s of Auks into Liverpool bay. I've had to go out but there were passing at 770 in the first half hour and are still moving at about 200 per hour just now. 15 Manxies, Fulmar, many Kittiwakes and Gannets also included,plus high numbers (3 figs) of Sandwich Terns. At least 3 Puffins (probably 10) and about 3:2 Guillemots: Razorbills in the 950 Auks logged. I have to go out again alas.

Arctic and Common Tern, plus Whimbrel missed from a few days ago and some birds omitted, so the total is 100 now

SRING IS HERE!!! 60 Species so far today. 8 warbler spp and 4 Chat spp! A new Redstart (f), Whinchat, plenty of Greenland Wheatears, 2 Garden Warblers, 4 Whitethroats, a male Lesser Whitethroat, 2 male Grasshopper Warblers, Tree Pipit, Sedge Warbler, 70 Willow Warblers, a few Chiffchaffs, Rook, Bullfinch Swift, 100s of Swallows and 10 House Martins.

The garden is reeling and rattling!

A Redpoll and Lesser Whitethroat yesterday. Two or three (can't rule out an echo for the 3rd) Cockateils this evening. They were looking like being mystery callers, till I pinned one down in a tree over the road.

It nearly took my ears out!

Attachments

• parrot.jpg
    parrot.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 168
Had a second for the house this morning - just as the rain started.

Looks like the same bird (juv male) that has been tarting about on N.Wirral

Attachments

• DSCF5222.JPG
    DSCF5222.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCF5223.JPG
    DSCF5223.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCF5224.JPG
    DSCF5224.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 186
Spent a bit of time counting the Terns today

375 Sandwich, 268 Common 25 Little, 6 Black Terns and an Ad Mediterranean Gull. Still not seeing the Arctic Terns that keep getting reported.

Nice tide today, but with too much disturbance to get any accurate counts. Ad and 2nd W Mediterranean Gull, both before the tide, drifted off towards Bird Rock, Ad and 1st W Black Tern (see below) in the tern roost, two juv Little Stints which stayed for the tide, a moulting adult Curlew Sandpiper which didn't. 20 Little Terns, with at leas thalf being juvs. Common Terns were 30:1 Ads juvs, SandwichTerns 25:1 and there were no Arctic Terns.

At sea there were plenty of Arctic Skua sightings (20) but Ithink its no more than 5 birds. A Bonxie was new for the year (as were LStint and C. Sand) as it hassled the many Gannets.

25 Willow Warblers and a Whitethroat in the front garden

Where's Wally game below! I expect the many people on the prom with big lenses will have proper pics

Attachments

• DSCF5400.JPG
    DSCF5400.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCF5405.JPG
    DSCF5405.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 154
  • SANY0056.JPG
    SANY0056.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 156
  • SANY0066.JPG
    SANY0066.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 158
A nice arrival of waders today. 1500 Sanderling, 2000 Dunlin and about 1000 Ringed Plovers before the tide, 65 Knot, 26 Bar-tailed Godwit and a single Blackwit. Loads of gulls too, including an Ad Yellow-legged.

A yellow Wagtail W today, 5 Arctic Skuas 20 or so Manxies and 40 Gannets well out into the bay (much like all of last month).

Nice wader tern and gull roost, though allI pulled out of it was an Adult YL Gull

Half decent Roseate imitation in the photos!

Attachments

• DSCF5633.JPG
    DSCF5633.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 170
  • SANY0011.JPG
    SANY0011.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 195
  • SANY0014.JPG
    SANY0014.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 192
Today so far:
Long-tailed Skua -as close west, hanging about between RR and Hilbre, then appeared to go between Hilbre and Middle. Plenty of careening action, but heat haze is hampering ID. One good Sooty candidate, based on flight pattern, but I couldn't resolve wings and so rule out a keen dark phase Arctic Skua!! 40 Manx Shearwaters so far, 20 Arctic Skua sighting, most hanging about (but 7 together at one point). One Bonxie, 4 Red-throated Divers plenty of terns, including one Arctic

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back