• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird Quiz (9 Viewers)

Oh, Linda, I'm so happy I could be useful! :bounce:

By the way, do you mind if I download your possible female Black-bellied Hummingbird for my archives? It can be a great reference for me, as the picture is very nice and shows a lot of features.

Forgot to mention this:

I'm still puzzling over #3. Both the black-bellied and the stripe-tailed have the rufous spot on wing. The only problem is both of them have white on the tail. So, still puzzling!

#3 was taken in Monteverde, the Pacific Slope, and there are no Black-bellied Hummingbirds in that area. And in Monteverde, STH are very common. As for the white, that is mostly present in the undertail side in the STH (BBH has more white in the uptail side, and that rules it out for #3, too). I hope this helps to dispel any doubts you have.

Sorry, I didn't expect to confuse you all so much with that #3. I thought that one wasn't so difficult.

Looking forward to seen your next trio, Linda. I still have a few pics for the Quiz, but I fear those can be too difficult. I prefer to wait for your pictures, surely will be more suitable for the game.

Cheers everybody!

Marian: Of course you may download and use that picture! I'm rather partial to the little girl myself. I love the bits of pollen on her head and bill.

I have only 2 more pictures and I think these are very easy! I've ID'd the one and am very sure of the other as well. The guide books and then searching for other pictures of them is very helpful.

So here goes -- both found at La Paz as well.

Linda

Attachments

• LaPaz-hummer5.jpg
    LaPaz-hummer5.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 107
  • LaPaz-hummer6.jpg
    LaPaz-hummer6.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 93
Hi, Everybody! :hi:

I’ve seen you’ve posted the two pics you mentioned, Linda! I don’t know if the others had a look already, but I’m going to give you my answers now, as I’ll be away for the weekend (for birdwatching and photography, of course! ;) )

#1 female Green-crowned Brilliant (Helidoxa jacula)
#2 the dear friend male Coppery-headed Emerald (Elvira cupreiceps)

On the other hand, I found the picture I had told you with the Fiery-throated and the Magnificent Hummingbirds together for comparison. It is not a great pic, but the difference in colour and size is well seen. I’m attaching a silhouette of Magnificent Hummingbird, showing well the relative size bill/body. Maybe it can help to learn to recognize this tricky one.

Next week I will post my last set of pictures (sniff! This is almost over!)

Have a wonderful weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_8686 rec.jpg
    IMG_8686 rec.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_8687 rec.jpg
    IMG_8687 rec.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 90
Marian: Yes, I think those are right! I thought it was interesting that the two pictures of the Coppery headed emerald look so different. But it's a striking example of the light that makes the appearance in hummingbirds.

I first thought picture #1 was a violet sabrewing female since the bill seemed to be curved. But the body looks very much like the green brilliant, especially the markings around the eye.

Hope you had happy bird watching and photography.

Linda

The end

Hi, everyone! :hi:

Well, as I promised, here is the last set of pictures. They are not good at all but I think they are interesting for a Quiz... besides, I'm very fond of them.

As the quality is bad, I'm giving a clue: first bird has already appeared in this Quiz in other plumage, and second and third birds and new in the Quiz. On the other hand, these two last ones are difficult to say the species, but easy to say the genus. I will be happy enough if you manage to say only that.

Enjoy yourself!

Attachments

• IMG_8684 copia.jpg
    IMG_8684 copia.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8284 copia.jpg
    IMG_8284 copia.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_9331 copia.jpg
    IMG_9331 copia.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 87
Marian: Sorry I haven't had time to really take a good look at your pictures. My husband and I gave a talk at the local bird club this week and used some of the pictures I posted for ID. With a very expert birder in the audience, I got no challenges on the Id of the hummers although he did challenge one of my other pictures. So -- thank you for the help.

OTOH, life and the change in the forum (I had trouble getting in for a long time) has not allowed me to take a good look at your pictures and try an ID. AND my husband has the guide book for a while. I will try as #3 reminds me of a picture I saw in there. So, should have a guess at least.

Linda

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back