• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I broke my SF so you don't have to... (6 Viewers)

The SF was purported to be for birders. Without more, that is why: i) Zeiss should take a peek at this forum about every five minutes (and post hereon as necessary), and ii) Zeiss should replace those bins without delay. Respectively, it appears i) they aren't, and ii) they won't. Zeiss is missing the kind of great opportunity that Swaro snatches up every day.

Yep, it looks like Mike Jensen doesn't visit here anymore. Even then, it seemed things only got fixed when he intervened directly. Zeiss should have been on top of this from day one......it looks pretty bad when the flagship cracks open like a raw egg and then we all wait a month to see what Zeiss will do about it.

Jensen is Zeiss North America, Europe is out of his sphere of influence is my guess.

Bad luck Highnorth.
I'd be gutted if they were my bins.

Once had a pair of 8x32BR Ultravids which came off my neck in same fashion.
Only I would say they dropped 8 feet on to hard airport floor.

Luckily the Leicas were completly undamaged.

I assume the bridge landed directly on the concrete floor to cause such a crack. If not the rubber protection should have easily coped with the shock, and there may be a fault with magnesium bridge.

Strange Zeiss hasn't passed comment yet, as they monitor this forum closely.

Cheers Tim

Hi guys and gals!

Today, the dealer informed me that Zeiss had inspected the binocular, and had decided that the damage was not covered under warranty, as it was self-inflicted.

However, due to the fact that the SF is a brand new model, and that Zeiss doesn't have the spare parts, damage assessment and repair facilities for that bin up and running yet, they have decided to offer me a FREE replacement!

Zeiss wanted to underline that this case is sui generis, and that the decision to replace my binocular is NOT a precedent for the treatment of similar damage experienced by other customers under similar circumstances in the future.

So, people: be careful not to drop your SFs in the future! ;)

Anyway, I'm happy this worked out allright! Thanks a lot Zeiss! :-O

Hi guys and gals!

Today, the dealer informed me that Zeiss had inspected the binocular, and had decided that the damage was not covered under warranty, as it was self-inflicted.

However, due to the fact that the SF is a brand new model, and that Zeiss doesn't have the spare parts, damage assessment and repair facilities for that bin up and running yet, they have decided to offer me a FREE replacement!

Zeiss wanted to underline that this case is sui generis, and that the decision to replace my binocular is NOT a precedent for the treatment of similar damage experienced by other customers under similar circumstances in the future.

I'm glad you came out of this happily!:king:

Zeiss is no doubt devoutly hoping that they don't get any more SF's back with this particular kind of damage to the bridge!:eek!::eek!:

I wonder how many they put through a drop test after they got this one back?:smoke:

Bob

PS: To be fair to Zeiss they probably looked into this incident thoroughly in order to come to the conclusion they did. There wasn't much reason to keep it as long as they did otherwise.

Last edited:
That is indeed a sorry state of affairs for Zeiss. However, I'm glad you got a new one. After this, I'd be sorely tempted to sell it new in the box and get another alpha glass. I'd not be bashful in letting them know how I felt, new binocular or not ;).

Hi guys and gals!

Better thanks to this forum and your pictures of your broken SF ;)

Otherwise ..............for sure they don't bring to you any replacement bin.

HighNorth ... Great to hear you will be getting a free replacement and will soon be back out enjoying your Zeiss SF. It will be interesting to find out if you notice any difference between the original and the replacement. I would be curious to know the numeric difference in the serial numbers.

Last edited:

I'd like to think this forum had nothing to do with it! ;)

PS: I am not undervaluing the many fine people here of course!:king:

Last edited:
That is indeed a sorry state of affairs for Zeiss. However, I'm glad you got a new one. After this, I'd be sorely tempted to sell it new in the box and get another alpha glass. I'd not be bashful in letting them know how I felt, new binocular or not ;).

What mean-spirited remarks.:-C

Lee

@Lee
More sad than mean-spirited. Always seeing a negative side, always expecting the worst.

@HN
Enjoy your fine binocular!

Hi guys and gals!

All things considered I find it a mature and realistic point of view from Zeiss.
Congrets HN.

A good outcome HN. Enjoy!

The only issue is whether that rather flimsy-looking casting is design, or accident.

And Zeiss did not, so far as I can tell, explain.

So hmm...

Mark

What are you on!!!

The damage was never covered by warranty and Zeiss was very generous in their response.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back