• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Falcon - Gloucester (1 Viewer)

Espen

Hi.
I saw this bird in a field on the way to slimbridge on saturday, it was massive!i have ruled out buzzard and juv peregrine or any other bird of prey in my bird book for that matter! The pics are of it sitting on a hedge at the back of the field. When I first saw it (as we drove past) we got a good frontal view - it was sitting in the middle of the field on the ground. We stopped because it was so striking and so huge! the front was scratty but striking and white with distinct black flecks the only thing i could think of was a Gyrfalcon!
please help!:t:
Sorry about the rubbish pics!;)

Attachments

• falcon-1.jpg
    falcon-1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 97
  • Falcon-2.jpg
    Falcon-2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 108
  • Falcon-3.jpg
    Falcon-3.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 304
  • Falcon-4.jpg
    Falcon-4.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 179
Cheers for your comments
i see how you could imediately think that but look at the eyestripe very characteristic of a facon.its a shame i didn't get a pic of the front as it was very white and striking and certainly not buzzard.I know you get very light buzzards but this ones front was identical to that of a light phase gyr.Do you think it might be a hybrid?

Cheers for your comments
i see how you could imediately think that but look at the eyestripe very characteristic of a facon.its a shame i didn't get a pic of the front as it was very white and striking and certainly not buzzard.I know you get very light buzzards but this ones front was identical to that of a light phase gyr.Do you think it might be a hybrid?

Check this thread out , they can be very white.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=161280

Regards

John

There's a Buzzard near Truro that looks like a Gyr Falcon, another near Dartmouth that looks like an Osprey !

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back