• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Help (1 Viewer)

chris3871

Explorer Extraordinaire
This afternoon I took a break from the revision (the revision i've barely started!) and biked down to North Cave Wetlands. Its the first time I've done it in a while and it seemed quite a trek, but it was a lot of fun.

Anyway, I saw the usual bunch of birds, lots of shelduck chicks fluffing about on the water and the Avocets were very vocal (no signs of their young 'uns this time.) Warblers of all varieties were singing in the undergrowth and it's good to see the common terns settling in.

One bird I saw today made me think though, it just caught my attention as being a little different. I'm fairly sure it was another Black-headed Gull, but it did stand out- I thought it perhaps seemed a little Mediterranean like. Behaviourally it had separated itself from the black-heads and was washing in on the edge of the lake away from the main colony.

So...
(Sorry to get you all down with another depressing gull ID. ;-) Yuk.)
It's size was hard to gauge as it sat on its own, but I couldn't honestly say that it looked much bigger than the average Black-head if at all. Its back was very pale grey. Its wingtips were black. I did not see it fly, so I do not know about the underneath of its wings. I only viewed it from a distance through binoculars, (one disadvantage of taking the bike- no scope) but at that distance its bill seemed black. Perhaps it could've been a different colour but it it was certainly dark. Its head was the interesting bit; it was a smudge ashy black/grey all over, with a little mottling or speckling. The black region was fairly well covered all over the head though, with only a white mark between the eyes joining to the top of the beak. I would've said there was no brown feathers on the bird at all, not to the degree of a first winter black-head at least. Maybe there was a little, but it could've been obscured by its constant splashing and was therefore not visible to me.

I'll probably post this again in the ID thread, but I thought I'd post it here first for the more friendly ex-beebers to have a look at. Thankyou!

Attachments

• gullmystery.jpg
    gullmystery.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 24
Hi Chris
Blackwingtips, Grey back, dark beak, smudgy head..could be Juv B.H but why not a Franklin's Gull? If memory is correct Med has white wingtips.There's been an uptick in Franklin's recently in UK and Ireland.

Ray

Speedy response, thanks Ray!
Not unlike the photo but a little slighter in the body.

I understand what you are saying about the Med gull's white wing tips, but I don't think that develops until full adulthood. I was trying to deduce from some of the posters up in the hide (gotta start taking the book out with me more!) and it showed first winter Med with black wings, if I remember right.

Now, Franklin's you say? I'll say it was that if you say so. ;-).
Would it not be unlikely considering I'm East coast?

Certainly throwing some helpful ideas in though Ray, thanks!

Hi Chris,
I'm having a go just to get into the spirit of your thread, I think your drawing looks like either a Little or Laughing Gull.
I'm going for nice rarities because if it was a common bird you would have id'd it. (I know how clever you are at id's) lol!

Hi Chris,
I'm having a go just to get into the spirit of your thread, I think your drawing looks like either a Little or Laughing Gull.
I'm going for nice rarities because if it was a common bird you would have id'd it. (I know how clever you are at id's) lol!

That's most definitely not true. (The last part I mean!) I always get the common ones wrong, especially something like this that can have so much variation.

I have seen a little gull at this reserve, and although this time I don't think it was one, I can certainly see where you're coming from, from my picture and description. Its a good suggestion actually though because the bird did bring to mind a really big beefy little gull in its colourings/ markings.

Oh Chris, that would be the funniest thing If I managed to id a Bird for you.
pleeeeeeeez let it be a Little Gull! lol.
I'm already hoping for a bravery award for "having a go"!
Cant wait to see what it is.

Gulls are a nightmare aren't they? As far as I'm aware Med gulls do have a small amount of black on the wingtips when young. Maybe it was a rare vagrant like the Franklin's, I think Med gulls are stockier than BHGs.

Oh go on we'll all agree it's a Rare tick...
With regard to location most from this year are Cornwall/Devon area, but hey! let's not rule it out just becuase someone says it's 'Rare'.
Hi Pie with regards to Little Gull wouldn't adults show a black hood, no wingtip and Juv have black wing markings (W shape in flight) and black spot behind eye plus the smudgy head...now I'm sticking my neck out here (good job we are a friendly bunch or I could be shot to pieces :-O) as I'm no expert either I could well be describing a Bonaparte's

Doncha just lurve Gulls :'D

Hi Chris Mediterrranean Gull has black on outer primaries, immature ones are more like Common Gulls, mature would have a really black hood extending down to nape with a striking white eye ring, plus a rich red bill.
Hope it is a rarity, pity no pic, its always hard to get an identification, with a sketch..

Good Birding PeterK

Well eyes peeled if I get down there tomorrow or thursday, I'll see if I can find it! I hope I haven't blown everything out of proportions but I do still think it's probably an average BHG... at least I'm prepared- I know what I'm looking for, and I'll take the camera and scope if I drive down.

Hi Chris Being honest I think your right it is a Bhg, didnt like to knock the idea it might be a real interesting sighting.

Good Luck Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back