• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID please goshawk or sparrowhawk? october 30th north-east Italy (1 Viewer)

Hi andrea and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I've moved your post to the Bird ID forum; I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you. In the meantime, could you advise where and when you took the photograph please.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Assuming that the location and date are appropriate... looks like northern goshawk: strongly rounded tail-tip, big supercilium, pale underbody.

Hi andrea and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I've moved your post to the Bird ID forum; I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you. In the meantime, could you advise where and when you took the photograph please.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thank you Delia and everyone here :)

Are you sure both pics show the same bird?
First pic looks typical Gos, a young adult showing still more secondary barring than typical adults, but inner secondaries almost unbarred. Small hand, bulging secondaries and rounded tail all good.
Much less details visible in second pic, first impression was Sparrowhawk

Are you sure both pics show the same bird?
First pic looks typical Gos, a young adult showing still more secondary barring than typical adults, but inner secondaries almost unbarred. Small hand, bulging secondaries and rounded tail all good.
Much less details visible in second pic, first impression was Sparrowhawk

Very flexible geometry Tom, there have been times when I’ve had to torpedo thoughts about hybridization.
The relative “size discrepancy” between the gender according to lit. is very much in favour of Sprawk, which I have to assume is correct however, I do wonder?
Having once only, an almost nonchalant oncoming female sail over my (across the road neighbour’s house), one early grey March morning and she was the biggest that I’ve seen by far…easily as big as a Buzzard.😮

Very flexible geometry Tom, there have been times when I’ve had to torpedo thoughts about hybridization.
The relative “size discrepancy” between the gender according to lit. is very much in favour of Sprawk, which I have to assume is correct however, I do wonder?
Having once only, an almost nonchalant oncoming female sail over my (across the road neighbour’s house), one early grey March morning and she was the biggest that I’ve seen by far…easily as big as a Buzzard.😮
1708444219625.jpeg

If picture 1 shows a possible adult male Gos, shouldn't it have a blue patch behind the eye, rather than such an open-looking face?
But its hard to tell, with light playing tricks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back