• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ideas for placement of a new nestbox (1 Viewer)

poodadoo

United States
So I'm new to this whole thing so please be gentle with me. For the past two years, we've had multiple birds building nests in the crooks of our downspouts under the eaves of our house. We don't want to disrupt their nests but they make a hell of a mess when they are done and abandoned it... This year, we'd like to build them a more formal nest box so they'll leave our downspouts alone and we could potentially take it down and clean it in the off season (if that's even possible).

The problem is we have an acre lot on an open field with no trees. I was wondering my options are. I have no trees in my yard and I didn't know if there was a way to attach it to my house (or do a lean against)...

looking forward to your ideas on how to solve my issue.

Steve

We have a blue tit nest box attached to a wall of our house. It is a south east facing wall, which is the ideal placement for a nest box.

It's been used for the past three years (since we put it up) and we have a nest box camera inside so we can see the progress from roosting, building the nest, hatchlings and fledging. In the autumn we empty it and clean it out.

Do you have any outbuildings or sheds where you could put up a nest box?

Good luck.

No outbuildings... How can you attach to the house without damaging the house? If it's not immediately near where their old nests were built, will they still choose to use it?

What type of birds are nesting in the eaves? Not all birds will take to bird boxes and placement will depend on species.

Ours is attached by long screws into the brickwork. I don’t think it has damaged the house.

As I said, ours is well used and I have no idea how close it is to where they nested before.

OH heck... You're asking the wrong guy :D I would assume they're just robins... I think that's all we get in Delaware.

Do I need to let them do their thing one more year and take pictures and plan to solve the problem next year?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back