• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

If you could only..... (1 Viewer)

yellow_belly

Bird Watcher
Hi - not been around here long but would love to know....

If (heaven forbid) you could only ever observe 1 bird for the rest of your life which would it be and why ?

...for my part it would be the Blackbird which I think is not only clever but also so comical to watch that I never get tired of seeing one.

Terry

Good question Yellow Belly. My initial thought would be Dippers. Consistently beautiful, entertaining, musical and strange birds. And they live in nice places too.

Yes, Blackbird, because they are entertaining to watch, but mostly because they have the most uplifting song of any British Bird.

Jason

Its a difficult one this one but I have decided on Yellow wagtail, firstly they are a stunning bird to see, and secondly there is such a complex group of variations that I could spend my time studying each form!! or is that cheating?

Either the Swift( because i already watch them speeding about the sky all day long in summern and their screaming is addictive lol).....or Mistle Thrush (because they are beautiful, have a lovely song, and are comical to see chasing magpies off and defending their berries)

I'd have to agree with you Terry, Blackbird.
Great bird with a good ear and lots of character.
I would miss all the others though.

P.S. Ashley's cheating!!

Got to be Blackbird, for being such a comic & so
arrogant, but with the most beautiful song of the
thrush family.
bert.

For me it's the Coal Tit hiding it's grub in various places for later and looking around itself like it's on acid!

Terry,
For me it's Robin....always seem so friendly. I had one
pecking at my bootlaces yesterday whilst I scanned a rubbish dump for a Hooded Crow!
Dave.

Of all the birds I have seen....there are three that are guranteed to get my full attention whenever I see them. One of those I see almost every day...so be definition it must be Peregrine. I love watching them hunting...interacting socially, playing... I have seen one landing and running on a rolling coke can, like a circus performer!

I need a saturation exposure to Chough and Yellow-browed Warbler to see if they are in the same league... of more everyday birds I have a special place for Wrens.

Chough definitely don't get boring even if you see them all the time Jane. They're the most human birds I can think of and would run Dippers close for me.

Very difficult question,but I think,yes ,it has to be Robin/Blackbird simply because they sing most of the time,and if there was only going to be one bird,then it would need to be a very vocal bird as well as entertaining.Could also include starlings ,I suppose,expert mimics!!.
Christine.

Fifebirder said:
Chough definitely don't get boring even if you see them all the time Jane. They're the most human birds I can think of and would run Dippers close for me.

As I have said in a number of other places... that fat lark thing on Anglesey that looked like a short-billed frosted starling held my attention for about 15 seconds...

I then spent a couple of hours on the cliff, watching Maxies go past while Choughs (and Ravens) played flying games in the updraft of the cliff. The call is so fantastic.... when I was 13 a pair spent an hour or two on the lawn of a house just up the road from here.... still one of the most amazing things I have seen.

Wow, Terry, that's a tough question. I'd really like to see some more birds before I can decide on that one - I'd love to see some of those gorgeous American birds in reality, Northern cardinal, Blue jay, American goldfinch, etc.

But if I had to choose, right now, one of the familiar birds around me, it would be the beautiful, clever, brutal, mischievous Magpie (Pica pica) - never a dull moment with that one.

Did you see that pic in BB of Ravens sliding down a snow slope head first on their backs! Sunch a capacity for experimentation and play.

I've watched them flying upside down in North Wales... so please that they are properly established as a breeding bird in Cheshire again

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back