• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Injured seagull. Help needed. (1 Viewer)

Doderz

Scotland
Hello. Just joined and apologies if this is in the wrong category.

I come across an injured seagull about 4 days ago. No parents in sight. Took it home only about 100 metres away. It’s flightless although does try. The main part of its wings seems normal and he’s flapping them. However please see pictures. There is a feather at the very back of a wing that’s pointing in a different direction. He was a sitting meal as we are on a Scottish island and there are plenty of ravens around.

I’ve built him or her an enclosure and feeding on bird seed and sardines. Also put a water tray in and seems to love that.

There isn’t an actual vet but there is a bird guy but been told it’s neck would be snapped due to then being so called pests.
Couple of questions.

Anybody know the sex of the bird.

Also can the wing be healed if it’s young enough. We have a large field that it runs about in for a bit. Then heads for enclosure.

Is there anything I can do to help it belfry back into the wild ?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• 17F28D4B-6013-42D4-BCBA-5DD55BB4C7BF.jpeg
    17F28D4B-6013-42D4-BCBA-5DD55BB4C7BF.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 26
  • 7F42E1A7-FA9F-4663-93F5-617CC36B5D5E.jpeg
    7F42E1A7-FA9F-4663-93F5-617CC36B5D5E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • 9F75A4E8-B937-4416-9D08-63D1FE09172C.jpeg
    9F75A4E8-B937-4416-9D08-63D1FE09172C.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 26
  • CBBDA1F1-6F09-4878-8D9F-8D05855EF3D9.jpeg
    CBBDA1F1-6F09-4878-8D9F-8D05855EF3D9.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
Hi Doderz and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. I

Hard to tell as he's so wet, but he may not have enough feathers yet to enable him to fly, especially with that damaged one. He won't eat seeds, but any fish or carrion (road kill etc) will do.

Gulls shouldn't be regarded as 'pests' as they're part of our legitimate wildlife. Have you spoken to the 'bird guy' yourself?

All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we try to meet up occasionally and they're always great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage. What island are you on?

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you! (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Is it possible to take it to a local Vet to see if they can help you out?

Hi and thank you very much for the replies. Really appreciate it. I will get a picture of it dry. Seems to love the bath I put in. I will speak with the vet and see what they say. If they want to destroy it I’ll grab and run and can live here with us 😂 any idea on sex ?

Hi and thank you very much for the replies. Really appreciate it. I will get a picture of it dry. Seems to love the bath I put in. I will speak with the vet and see what they say. If they want to destroy it I’ll grab and run and can live here with us 😂 any idea on sex ?
Vets won't normally put down native wildlife unless there's no chance of them being able to survive in the wild.

I don't think it's possible to be able to sex gulls, except in the breeding season when you see them mating!

Hello,
welcome to birdforum from me, too! Thanks for joining BF to get advice how to help a bird in an appearantly bad state!
Not the important question with this poor bird, but is there some kind of unusual ring clipped around its leg? Not easy to judge on my actual device on your pictures (no offence).
Regarding ID (cant sex it too, I think its impossible as already said) I think its either a juvenile Common Gull or a juvenile Lesser black backed Gull. But I get a strange feeling. Is it only the poor state of the soiled (?) and therefore worn/abraded plumage? I stop here, because its not the important question here, as said.

I hope, your vet can help, as your gull clearly needs professional help with such an poor state. No offence, you made everything right!

BTW, could you let us know how you make out with this poor Gull!

Spoke with the vet this morning. Because of the outbreak of bird flu on other islands around here they cannot treat it at the moment. Sent pictures and was advised just to let it go in the wild.
ONLY chance it has is if you continue feeding it. You seem to be doing fine so far!
Letting it go back into the wild is feeding predators. The chances of success as in growing up are not that good, but then neither are they in nature.
Good luck, and post progress om the forum, please!
(And if you translate my user name it's "vet")

Thank you all for your posts. The pictures I posted were it just after rolling in the bath. When fully dry it looks in great shape. Just flightless. Vet also says it’s flight feathers may not be fully developed. I think if it goes back in the wild the amount of ravens about it will be an easy meal. They are taking down lambs at the moment so a seagull is very easy. I will post some pictures of it dry and see what you guys think when I’m home from work. There is no ring

Hello,
thanks for your effort! I hope for a happy end and after seeing the new pictures, I am very hopeful that you will achieve it.

BTW your bird is a juvenile Common Gull

Users who are viewing this thread

Back