• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inside a vintage German "Hanseat" 8x30 (2 Viewers)

Binocollector

Germany
Hi guys and gals,
I recently bought another vintage bino - an 8x30 "Hanseat", made in German from 1972. I am not 100 % sure but the construction of the prism assembly suggests that these were either made by Hartmann/Wetzlar or are a direct copy by another German company.
I paid around 20€ and they looked good on the pics but unfortunately had really badly fogged prisms. Maybe some lacquer fogging out on the inside or the former owner was a smoker (they didn't smell however).
Anyways I had to open them and clean the prisms. The interesting thing about these is the genius prism assembly. There are tiny screws underneath the ones that hold the prism covers with which you can move the prisms from one side to the other by either tightening or loosening the screws. So the prisms can be aligned without taking apart the bino. Opposed to the construction of Japanese binos from that time that had the prisms cemented in place and fixed with a metal strip on top that slotted into the body on the inside and final alignment achieved with eccentric rings around the lenses.
This construction of the Hanseat is much more repair-friendly.
It's the first time I ever removed prisms. So far I only did minor work on binos like adjusting eccentric rings or cleaning the inside of the ocular and stuff like that.
So I'm very happy with the successful operation on the Hanseat. A really nice bino. Sharp, BaK4 prisms, good coatings and very solid construction overall.
Here are some pics. IMG_20220724_153439.jpgIMG_20220724_153453.jpgIMG_20220724_153439.jpgIMG_20220724_153430.jpgIMG_20220724_153423.jpgIMG_20220718_181144.jpgIMG_20220718_181132.jpgIMG_20220718_181053.jpgIMG_20220718_181040.jpgIMG_20220718_180931.jpgIMG_20220718_180920.jpgIMG_20220718_180914.jpgIMG_20220718_180828.jpgIMG_20220718_180815.jpg

Philipp; I have a general question of German porros- do the majority have BaK4 prisms?
Some of the Japanese miniature binoculars have a similar scheme with grub screws inset on an unarmored frame allowing side to side adjustment of the prisms. from the outside. Too bad the tiny/ dense frames seem to have the uncanny ability to transmit shock of a fall to the prisms very efficiently! Chipped prisms in 2 of the 3 thus far that I've purchased thus far. Regards, Pat

I'm not sure. The majority of the vintage binos I own are Japanese. But the German ones I have, this one, a Hartmann 8x30 and an Optolyth 8x30 all seem to have BaK4. At least they don't show the typical vignetting that the Japanese ones with BK7 have.

It's the first time I ever removed prisms. So far I only did minor work on binos like adjusting eccentric rings or cleaning the inside of the ocular and stuff like that.
So I'm very happy with the successful operation on the Hanseat. A really nice bino. Sharp, BaK4 prisms, good coatings and very solid construction overall.
Congratulations with your succesful operation Binocolector, very interesting pictures also.

Hi guys and gals,
I recently bought another vintage bino - an 8x30 "Hanseat", made in German from 1972. I am not 100 % sure but the construction of the prism assembly suggests that these were either made by Hartmann/Wetzlar or are a direct copy by another German company.
I paid around 20€ and they looked good on the pics but unfortunately had really badly fogged prisms. Maybe some lacquer fogging out on the inside or the former owner was a smoker (they didn't smell however).
Anyways I had to open them and clean the prisms. The interesting thing about these is the genius prism assembly. There are tiny screws underneath the ones that hold the prism covers with which you can move the prisms from one side to the other by either tightening or loosening the screws. So the prisms can be aligned without taking apart the bino. Opposed to the construction of Japanese binos from that time that had the prisms cemented in place and fixed with a metal strip on top that slotted into the body on the inside and final alignment achieved with eccentric rings around the lenses.
Here are some pics. View attachment 1459600View attachment 1459601View attachment 1459602View attachment 1459603View attachment 1459604View attachment 1459605View attachment 1459606View attachment 1459607View attachment 1459608View attachment 1459609View attachment 1459610View attachment 1459611View attachment 1459612View attachment 1459613
A very nice specimen and a very unusual prism clip. But exactly what feature makes this binocular "vintage."

Not sure how vintage is defined in the bino world. I assumed it would be the same as watches where it's 25 years. So... I'm pretty certain it's older than that. However, I'm not sure the model number gives away the age. It's probably just a running count. At least when comparing it to my Hartmann 8x30.

Not sure how vintage is defined in the bino world. I assumed it would be the same as watches where it's 25 years. So... I'm pretty certain it's older than that. However, I'm not sure the model number gives away the age. It's probably just a running count. At least when comparing it to my Hartmann 8x30.
Those prism wedges are just like the ones in the 3 or 4 Hartmann Berninas I’ve had. My guess is that you are correct and the bino was made by Hartmann. Prism wedges like that, though, are not new. Goerz used them on some binoculars before WWI and the Belgian OIP’s had them during the 1950’s. Possibly some other makers used them too, but they’re not common.

Hi Binocollector,
It looks exactly like my Hartmann Polerim from the mid 60s (inside as well as outside) so I think it is a rebranded Polerim. Even the serial number has the same font. Really a great binocular, so incredible sharp and bright even it is only single coated. 20220818_103448.jpg20220818_103418.jpg20220818_103404.jpg20220320_134931.jpg

Very nice! Yes, I got an original "Polerim", too. Didn't manage to fix the misalingment of that one unfortunately. I think it has been dropped at one point. The Hanseat works flawlessly however after I cleaned the prisms.
Not all that easy to align the prisms again. I think the next step will be to build some kind of DIY-collimator.

Is there anywhere that gives a summary of these old porros?
I wouldn't mind keeping a eye open for a few pairs that are worth getting and refurbishing if needed, but hard to know what is good, bad and indifferent.
Recommendations welcome 👍

Hi guys and gals,
Here are some pics. View attachment 1459600View attachment 1459601View attachment 1459602View attachment 1459603View attachment 1459604View attachment 1459605View attachment 1459606View attachment 1459607View attachment 1459608View attachment 1459609View attachment 1459610View attachment 1459611View attachment 1459612View attachment 1459613
Is the year 1972 proven? If yes, mine could be from mid 70s instead mid 60s as I belived.

Ah ok now I got it why you said 1972. Yes I think it is just a steady increasing serial number.
The old Polerims were called Leichtmetall and had a different font for serial number (Top bino in picture below). I have found pictures of these with numbers close to ~50k. With introduction of Bernina begin of 60s I think they removed the prefix Leichtmetall and changed the number font. The lowerst number of a Polerim with new font which I have seen was 57k.

Since I have not seen Berninas and Compacts with numbers below 50k I believe the serial number is steady over the different lines. 20220818_221718.jpg

Last edited:
Hi together, I have started a tread in the Binocular Others section with my investigations to Hartmann serial numbers.

Maybe you have a Compact or Bernina with lower number than the ones I have found yet so I can refine my list.

This reminds me of my childhood days when I loved to disassemble stuff (that never worked again afterwards) to find out how thing work and how they look inside. Unfortunately one day my nice little Revue 8x30 (I think an export version of a basic Zeiss Jena 8x30) was on my list...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back