• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting test report on binoculars: 10x32/10x42/10x50/10x56 (1 Viewer)

batvenci

I have recently found a very interesting rest report on 10x binoculars:
https://www.kikkertspesialisten.no/...x42_10x50_10x56_binoculars_review_kikkert.pdf
They are compared by Resolution, Contrast, Brightness observed, Field sharpness, Field of view and Build quality. To my surprise Swarovski SLC 10x56 is rating 1, Leica Geovid 10x42 HD is 2, while Swarovision 10x50 is rating 3. Any experience and comments about the comparison between the top binoculars in the list will be very useful. Thanks!

Aperture rules. Giving similar quality optics a bigger aperture will always win opticwise with the same magnification. That doesn't mean the SLC 10x56 is the best binocular for you. It will be heavy and bulky compared to even the 10x50 SV.

I remember that some people here have disagreed with the Kikker tests in the past.

The SLC have AK prisms, so the light transmission is very good, and they are very good binos.
But if the Geovid would have finished 1st, would you have bought the Geovid?
Probably not, because it seems you are not looking for the telemeter function.

As Denis said and as I told you on your PM, it doesn't mean that they are the best for you.
Go to a shop, try them and find which ones are the Best FOR YOU.

Batvenci,

One of our Scandinavian members was kind enough to translate part of the supporting pages about their test methods. The camera technique they described for resolution and contrast would be totally incable of measuring either, and the subjective categories appear more than a little inconsistent to me. It's useful to have the technical specification tabulated though.

David

Thanks all of us for the useful experience. Unfortunately there aren't shop near me, so I will probably need to take a flight to a good shop, but before that I will gather some more information about tests between 10x50 and 10x56.

Thanks all of us for the useful experience. Unfortunately there aren't shop near me, so I will probably need to take a flight to a good shop, but before that I will gather some more information about tests between 10x50 and 10x56.

The "test" is your eyeballs, your retinas, your optic nerves, and your brain's signal processing.

Decide based on how they work for you, not some table of numbers.

Many people look for concrete tests results where none exist:

Different tests performed at different times with different subjects having different ranges of accommodation for different visual acuities under different conditions will produce different results. :cat:

Bill

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back