• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Invasion Of The Starlings!!! (1 Viewer)

Chewbaxter

Reformed "Bird Ignorer"!
Invasion Of The Starlings!!!

Lock all doors and windows - we're being invaded! Hide in the cellar everyone!

Eh? Ah... don't panic... I'm actually putting a good word in for these often maligned critters... find out more by clicking the link...

http://birdwatcher.podomatic.com/

Neil

Look mummy, a plug! ;)

Nothing wrong with Starlings... At the moment I'm being invaded by Wood Pigeons and Collared Doves.

Well, starlings are not well liked over here in the US. They harm some of our native cavity nesters, like Eastern Bluebirds. Over here they're not protected.

Makes me angry at the people who introduced House Sparrows, the most nuisant and unliked bird over here. Decapitating natives in nesting boxes, destroying crops, and eating tons of pounds of grain.

House Sparrows? We love 'em over here... well generally, I know some folk who can't stand 'the early morning cacophony' - but as they are in decline in the U.K. I always think it's abonus to see them in the garden... and what I once thought was a 'drab little bird' (sorry fellers) when I first saw them, I now feel that their markings is a sight to see!

As to Woodpigeons and Collared Doves - yep, same here Mik... but I love seeing them too - they're so flighty though as if they're sneaking around - as soon as they catch a glimpse, they're offski!

Unlike the Starlings - they're cocky little b*ggers - I love seeing 'em!

Neil.

Yesterday I counted 8 juvenille Starlings in the garden - some were feeding themselves, others were being fed by the parent. They had several 'group bathing' sessions, with 5 or 6 of them in the bird bath together - water everywhere! Nice to see, but eating us out of house and home!

Well, starlings are not well liked over here in the US. They harm some of our native cavity nesters, like Eastern Bluebirds. Over here they're not protected.

Makes me angry at the people who introduced House Sparrows, the most nuisant and unliked bird over here. Decapitating natives in nesting boxes, destroying crops, and eating tons of pounds of grain.

Not that happy about your Gray-Squirrel's. They have decimated our Reds! :C

Invasion Of The Starlings!!!

Lock all doors and windows - we're being invaded! Hide in the cellar everyone!

Eh? Ah... don't panic... I'm actually putting a good word in for these often maligned critters... find out more by clicking the link...

http://birdwatcher.podomatic.com/

Neil

Counted 25 in garden this morning, and long may they continue to have such good broods. They are the real comics of the avian world. Its a shame their mortality rate is so high. :-C

We had around 30 Starlings in the garden the other day and half of those were hungry juveniles - everywhere you looked there were Starlings. On top of the birdtable, in the bird bath, on the fence and plenty in the hedges too! o:D I love them though - even though they eat me out of house and home.o:)

We've also got quite a few house sparrows - the hedges sound full of them today!!! which is good as they are seriously in decline.:cat: They manage to get through two tube feeders of seed most days (medium sized!) :eat: I think I need a large pay rise to cover all the bird food I am having to buy. :cat: I love them as well - certainly not brown and drab if you take time to look at them properly. :eek!::eek!:

As well as sparrows and starlings we have a regular pair of wood pigeons, several collared doves (who love chasing the jackdaw and magpies out of the garden), goldfinches, a pair of robins, dunnocks and the ocassional great tit and blue tit. Cant complain though as the garden is nearly always busy - Just wish our woodpecker would pay us another visit ?:cat:

Just looked out of the windows and the sparrows are still busy chirping away in the hedge and dive bombing the seed feeders (filled up for the 2nd time today) and two collared doves are busy sunning themselves on the fence!o:)

Have a good day.;)

Nice one!

Long may the Starlings continue to take over... here, I hope they'll have me in their 'good books' re: the feeding - all hail our new Masters lol!

Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back