• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One 8x3x to rule them all (1 Viewer)

Phew, I'm glad. I was already considering a 'panic-buy'.
While we're at it - just in case: should I get a Meopro Air 8x42 with the open bridge or rather a Meostar B.1 8x42 (it's on sale for 800 €, Meopro would be 600€).
Is the Meopro really made in-house? Seems almost too cheap to be true. The "Optika" for example is out-sourced AFAIK (QC made in house however - so no "Chinese optical lottery") but it's only around 270€.
Meostar all day long, for only 200 euros, you will regret it, and always wonder how much better the Meostars were.
Then you will lose money when you decide to upgrade, because that is what we do.
I rate Meostars as right up there, weight being the only downside, but for me that allows a steady hold.
I've had Nikon SE's, Leica, Swaro, and Zeiss...... and these Meostars leave me wanting for nothing.

Then you will lose money when you decide to upgrade, because that is what we do.
That is so very true. I bought two 7x50s before finally getting the Fujinon FMRT. That's how you end up with a collection :ROFLMAO: . However - the good thing is -- you can compare them later. And sometimes a "cheapo" is not even that bad.
But I think I am done with Chinese optics for now after the last fail with a 10x60 full of dust (I will not name the maker or seller as I am still in ongoing discussions about a discount but the whole process is already highly annyoing). A Nikon P7 8x30 where the diopter ring just fell off -- Made in China, too of course but much worse quality than even my Svbony SV202 8x32. That's why I asked if the MeoPro is even "in-house".
I kind of like the double bridge design but I also like the quirky look of the MeoStar. Weight doesn't bother me as I have no issues with my 1.4kg Fujis.

Again considering a purchase of the "last binocular ever" (haa haa). Was searching for another good 80 mm scope after I donated the Svbony to my son. Several weeks came and went, and I couldn't find a bargain. So when the Svbony 406P was reduced, I ordered another. It was a hard decision because of the bad experience I had with them re a faulty 10x50, where I swore to myself not to buy PRC optics again.

However, the scope arrived and I must admit this copy is even better than the previous one, and that one was still very fine. This sample, as far as I can see, leaves nothing to the ED82A. It appears nearly apochromatic, and I'm curious what a very good fixed eyepiece would do at around 25x to 30x mag, I use the ED82A with three fixed Wide DS's.

So now the Meostar 8x32 'lives' with the scope and a big tripod inside a midsized backpack at my work. I feel that 8x is a perfect match to a scope starting at 20x, in particular since my new contacts are even better than the previous ones. I'm amazed with the sharpness and how well everything resolves even at 7x. Despite that I live in a coastal area with some serious distances, I don't see the need for a 10x thanks to these incredible contact lenses.

The hue of the old Meostar, however, doesn't go well with the scope's bright and neutral, nearly coldish view, which is a pity.
I never purchased a new 8x32, and have felt that the thread's title points towards Utopia. I don't doubt the NL Pure 8x32 or ditto SF would disappoint me, but in the real world I often go with the E II and I'm good with that as long as I don't use spectacles.

Now, obviously there's always the urge to buy another binocular, and for me it's always stronger shortly after another purchase. So I've looked at anything and everything, both 10x/10,5x, porros and even the Opticron Traveller ED.
Then the Monarch HG 8x42 caught my attention. Admittedly, it's not a 8x30, but it is lightweight, has a generous FOV and it's even shorter than the SF 8x32.
It has a good colour rendition and a big exit pupil for those late evenings I expect after work (not that I need anything more than 4 mm, but if it comes with improved ease of use, then fine). Finally, the eye relief is more than sufficient. Price-wise it's a no-brainer, and it is clearly cheaper than a Meostar B1 Plus 8x32.

So, maybe the 8x3x to rule them all is the bigger MHG? But I feel there's an apparent danger that I'll get the Meostar Plus too, later on :oops:
Should I go to rehab?? Your honor, I'm actually out there birding!

//L

Again considering a purchase of the "last binocular ever" (haa haa). Was searching for another good 80 mm scope after I donated the Svbony to my son. Several weeks came and went, and I couldn't find a bargain. So when the Svbony 406P was reduced, I ordered another. It was a hard decision because of the bad experience I had with them re a faulty 10x50, where I swore to myself not to buy PRC optics again.

However, the scope arrived and I must admit this copy is even better than the previous one, and that one was still very fine. This sample, as far as I can see, leaves nothing to the ED82A. It appears nearly apochromatic, and I'm curious what a very good fixed eyepiece would do at around 25x to 30x mag, I use the ED82A with three fixed Wide DS's.

So now the Meostar 8x32 'lives' with the scope and a big tripod inside a midsized backpack at my work. I feel that 8x is a perfect match to a scope starting at 20x, in particular since my new contacts are even better than the previous ones. I'm amazed with the sharpness and how well everything resolves even at 7x. Despite that I live in a coastal area with some serious distances, I don't see the need for a 10x thanks to these incredible contact lenses.

The hue of the old Meostar, however, doesn't go well with the scope's bright and neutral, nearly coldish view, which is a pity.
I never purchased a new 8x32, and have felt that the thread's title points towards Utopia. I don't doubt the NL Pure 8x32 or ditto SF would disappoint me, but in the real world I often go with the E II and I'm good with that as long as I don't use spectacles.

Now, obviously there's always the urge to buy another binocular, and for me it's always stronger shortly after another purchase. So I've looked at anything and everything, both 10x/10,5x, porros and even the Opticron Traveller ED.
Then the Monarch HG 8x42 caught my attention. Admittedly, it's not a 8x30, but it is lightweight, has a generous FOV and it's even shorter than the SF 8x32.
It has a good colour rendition and a big exit pupil for those late evenings I expect after work (not that I need anything more than 4 mm, but if it comes with improved ease of use, then fine). Finally, the eye relief is more than sufficient. Price-wise it's a no-brainer, and it is clearly cheaper than a Meostar B1 Plus 8x32.

So, maybe the 8x3x to rule them all is the bigger MHG? But I feel there's an apparent danger that I'll get the Meostar Plus too, later on :oops:
Should I go to rehab?? Your honor, I'm actually out there birding!

//L
No, rehab only starts when you have a few dozen pairs of binoculars and you just ordered another one before paying the electric bill 🤪.

If you didn’t like the color hue in the meostar then you will definitely not like the monarch HG. It’s definitely on the red/yellow warm side. If you want more neutral you have to go Swaro EL, Habicht (porro), Kowa Genesis and on the neutral side ZEiss SFL, also Vortex UHD but not sold in 30/32.

No, rehab only starts when you have a few dozen pairs of binoculars and you just ordered another one before paying the electric bill 🤪.

If you didn’t like the color hue in the meostar then you will definitely not like the monarch HG. It’s definitely on the red/yellow warm side. If you want more neutral you have to go Swaro EL, Habicht (porro), Kowa Genesis and on the neutral side ZEiss SFL, also Vortex UHD but not sold in 30/32.
Well, my bigger Meostar (12x50 HD) and the Nikons (E II, EDG, ED82A and ED50A) are to my liking and they are all a little bit on the warm or red side.
Despite what I wrote earlier in the thread, it isn't the 12x50 that's my most neutral bin, it's actually the Kite 8x30.
The Meostar 8x32 I own is an old sample, and decidely deviates more from neutral, as it is quite yellow, similar to Conquest pre-HD or even Dialyt Classic.
See Allbino's test for reference. Make no mistake, I'm not putting it down. It may be actually my most beloved binocular. Cool and quirky like an early '70s Porsche it is, and it's Haptik is unparallelled.
I'd expect the MHG 8x42 to be slightly more colour neutral than the older Nikons, and probably even the 12x50.

//L

I had a long hard look at that Meostar 8x32, too. And I even found a new 7x42 Meostar for sale on a German website. But I decided against any new expensive binos. The Fuji 8x42 HC and the Meopta Meopro HD 8x32 are really so good that I don't think the slightly better performance I might get from a bino around the 1,000€-mark would be worth spending money yet again.
Just spent a week on vacation and only used the Fuji HC and Meopro HD. Both excellent in their own right. The Meopro has a wider FoV, the Fuji is slightly brighter, a bit sharper. Still that Meostar just looks lovely. I'd be most interested in the 7x42 as that size is no longer made and seems to become almost extinct altogether in high-end binos.
BTW: the Fuji HC is one of the most color neutral bino that I ever looked through. I can detect no tint whatsoever.

I had a long hard look at that Meostar 8x32, too. And I even found a new 7x42 Meostar for sale on a German website. But I decided against any new expensive binos. The Fuji 8x42 HC and the Meopta Meopro HD 8x32 are really so good that I don't think the slightly better performance I might get from a bino around the 1,000€-mark would be worth spending money yet again.
Just spent a week on vacation and only used the Fuji HC and Meopro HD. Both excellent in their own right. The Meopro has a wider FoV, the Fuji is slightly brighter, a bit sharper. Still that Meostar just looks lovely. I'd be most interested in the 7x42 as that size is no longer made and seems to become almost extinct altogether in high-end binos.
BTW: the Fuji HC is one of the most color neutral bino that I ever looked through. I can detect no tint whatsoever.
You're lucky if you can be content with one magnification and two sizes. If you want to broaden your views (pun intended), try an E II, be it 8x30 or 10x35. It has a certain quality of the view that's very addictive.

And if you want to learn about perfect ergonomics and a binocular that doesn't invade the view itself, and are a spectacle wearer, the small Meostar will treat you.

I believe I can manage with five to six binoculars. Leaving the 12x50 and the 7x42 aside, this is the crux:
The E II has the best view, but requires contact lenses and fair weather.
The Kite 8x30 requires contact lenses and complements the E II when weather is worse, or if minuscule size is needed. Decent views.
The Meostar 8x32 is a good everyday beater and to-go bin when using spectacles. Not really with contacts.
I don't anymore have the hope to unite these three into one binocular without sacrificing any of their really strong points.

Then we have the logistics issue. Having a good one at work simplifies things a lot, and the MHG 8x42 seems to fit the bill.
But I do realise that it, if I were willing to make certain sacrifices, could have it replace all three of my 8x30s and even the 7x42.

That would put me in a position with an 8x42 and a 12x50. I'd probably not be able to withstand the temptation to buy a good 8x25 or compact 8x30, though.

//L

You're lucky if you can be content with one magnification and two sizes. If you want to broaden your views (pun intended), try an E II, be it 8x30 or 10x35. It has a certain quality of the view that's very addictive.
I have more Japanese made wide angle porros than I dare to count :giggle: .
And it was just that one vacation where I used just those two. Last time I brought a sportsbag full of binos on vacation -- including sizes from 2x54 up to 18x50 and basically anything in between. It was more of an experiment in self-restriction to only take two this time ;).
I think an 8x42 would probably be the best all-around choice for my taste if I could own just one bino.

I have more Japanese made wide angle porros than I dare to count :giggle: .
And it was just that one vacation where I used just those two. Last time I brought a sportsbag full of binos on vacation -- including sizes from 2x54 up to 18x50 and basically anything in between. It was more of an experiment in self-restriction to only take two this time ;).
I think an 8x42 would probably be the best all-around choice for my taste if I could own just one bino.
Yup , that would be the Leica 8x42 Noctivid of course 😜✌🏼.

We now have a new kid on the block that needs to be added here, the Oberwerk ED 8x32 (aka the SE). For now I’ll leave out the build quality comparisons , I’m sure many will have differing opinions on that, I know thats shocking. Imo this pair of binoculars really throws a wrench into the Nikon porro mid level optics crown. We have an optic that is brighter, sharper, has better resolution, literally no CA , a sweet spot almost as big as the E2, bigger than the E, a more neutral image tone and it’s water proof, making it a more advantageous birding tool. Let’s not leave out it’s half the price of an E2. I’m just discussing an optic here, not wether some one should buy it being it’s MIC, of course my opinion is nobody should being anything MIC if they can find alternatives , unless you live in China of course.

This is another example of very inexpensive high quality optics (and other consumer goods) coming out of the CCP. As time goes by It will continue to to bring higher and higher quality goods to the market, assuming the west continues to buy the products.

I think the majority would prefer the roof over the porro. Nothing wrong with a good porro, I enjoy a few made in Japan and Germany. Seriously if one has other equipment in the field, they want a smaller 8x30-32 not a cumbersome porro.
To me it's the CN crowd are who get exited because of the low cost. Personally there are much more optical products out there for one to consider than an oversized bin from Obetwerk.

@Paultricounty , @dries1
You both just basically impersonated the two voices in my head arguing with each other over the Oberwerk 8x32 "SE". But since it is not yet available from the European Oberwerk website anyway, I am lucky and don't have to spend the money (yet).

The Oberwerk 8X32 surely is not the one to rule them all.
But if I wanted a porro? I already have more than enough roofs. Probably also enough porros but not that many modern ones.
I've been thinking about the Kite Fitis which is supposedly made in Japan even. But I haven't really seen any in depth online review at all about that one.
The only other options seem to be Habicht or Nikon EII for a modern day porro NOT made in China (or Tartastan and I already own the whole Komz line-up from 6x24 to 12x45).
That being said, maybe I'll just stick with my Oberwerk Mariner 8x40. Built like a tank and probably a civilian version of a Chinese military bino according to a review of Holger Merlitz.

Philipp,

I doubt the new Oberwerk will show anything new that you already have seen from your collection. Now the cost is low, so many will go for it. I value my older porros which are most likely made to a higher standard than the Oberwerk, all the SE models, Zeiss, Zeiss Jena, Hensoldts, and the EIIs.
If I wanted another 8X30 porro, I would just bite the bullet and go for the Habicht, at least i know it would not end up in a landfill.
I still think they were cheesy copying the formats of the original Nikon SE and the SE acronym to the model line. It's like so lazy, they could not even do something on their own. So from this I will never own an Oberwerk.

Last edited:
The Oberwerk 8X32 surely is not the one to rule them all.
Fully agree!
But I find it surprisingly good. Didn‘t expect that from a 250 $ China-made binocular. Will have to see whether the other models of the Oberwerk SE line are at the same level.

Call what you will, I have enough German, Austrian, Czech and Japanese glass to keep me occupied, no need for me to spend any money in the market place on another low cost porro.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back