• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a MacGillivray's Warbler in Panama? (1 Viewer)

jmepler

It's just a flesh wound.
United States
Having recently hosted a MacGillivray's Warbler in Pennsylvania there has been some discussion on our listserv about this bird.

It just doesn't look right to me, particularly the light iris. Maybe it is the eye influencing me, but it seems more like a vireo of some sort.

What do you think?

Mike

Magnolia is normally the sort you see and you instantly recognize. But this one isn't giving that vibe.

The pale eye isn't exactly typical for Macgillivray's or Mourning? Or Magnolia for that matter. But it has to be one of these three, if not a South American species.

Last edited:
Certainly not a Magnolia, shape and plumage are very wrong for that species.
It looks just like a Macgillivray's besides the slightly paler eye, so I'd be very surprised if it wasn't one.

This looks more like a female Mourning to me because it has yellowish lores, a yellowish throat, and broken breast band as opposed to whitish lores and throat of MacGillivray's. Interesting bird and always a tough call in any case!

Some additional pictures at the Xenornis website can be seen here.

They certainly look better for Mac. The underside of the tail and undertail coverts are also clearly visible and definitely rule out Magnolia (if it is the same bird anyway).

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back