• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lard or Beef Suet?? (1 Viewer)

Beef bripping for me every time.

Lard is not rended down for anything like the time it takes for dripping. This means that all the water stored in the fat is boiled off in well made dripping (and i know as i have made a few tons in my time).

The advantage of this is firstly that dripping sets far harder and is less affected by the sunlight and stays firmer.

Secondly with the water content removed dripping lasts far longer than lard and is less likley to go rancid and harbour bacterilogical problems like samonella.

Sean; In my own (bitter!) experience; Lard is a complete waste of time. It's just too soft and disintegrates. (Well; It never really integrated in the first place!)

Suet? What? 'Atora'? Fair play to ye ~ If you're a millionaire!

Word to the wise, mate; Dripping. Look for it near the butter and marg', in the cold cabinets. About 40p for a 500g block. That's the kiddie :t:

Great thread but I am struggling to get near this price for Beef Dripping. My Tesco Xtra doesn't sell it and I paid £2 for 500g at my local butcher.

Any advice on where to find the Suet in the supermarkets like Sainsbury's, is it likely to be in the freezer area?

Have to own up I hate shopping. I'm the one that always sits outside the supermarket while my wife does the shopping, I think it's good to let the ladies have control of the trolley with the wobbly wheel every now and again. To crowded in there for me.

Last edited:
BarryH, you'll probably find it in the baking section near the flour, in a packet, as it's used for suet dumplings etc. I've never seen the 'raw' stuff, as you would find lard and dripping.
(From a lady who wouldn't dream of allowing hubby to come round the supermarket with her- much too slow!)

Hi Mary,

No disrespect, I know how you ladies love your shopping trips, not sure if the supermarkets count though.

I called at Sainsbury's and all I could find was the Atora stuff in a box. This was 80p for 200 grams. I think I'll give the local butcher a try.

Barry you can get Beef Dripping from Sainsburys, 500grams for 55p. Works like a treat and attracts a variety of birds! Thats what you could go with :)

Hi Dan,

The reason I though of suet rather than dripping is the half cocunuts I buy come filled with a suet and seed mixture.

Do you think dripping would be better than suet for refilling the shells? It's certainly cheaper than buying suet at 80p for 200grams.

Not being a happy shopper, in which area of the store would the dripping be? Last time I looked, I could only find the Atora suet and that was with the baking stuff.

In

Hi Guys, Im going to have a go at making my own Fat cake/ Fat Balls. What I want to know Is, Is Lard or Beef Suet the best to use & what seems to be the best recipe. Below Is a list of what Im going to put In them, I was going to make one long piece & put that In my fat ball holder..

1, Crushed Peanuts.
2, Dried Fruit.
3, Dried Mealworms.
4, Mixed Bird Seed.
5, Oatmeal to bind.

Would this recipe be ok to use? or dont It really matter what you put In It.

Suggestions would be very usefull.
Thankyou. I would also like to hear your successes.

Sean..

i put out suet in big pieces.i get all the different birds feeding on it.no need to melt it down.they all love it

Hi Barry. I have actually re filled my fat ball mixture in an old coco nut shell and it worked fine, all eaten up! I think you can use either.

The dripping is in the chilled area with the lard and butter. A block, Britania Beef Dripping. If you can't see it by the butter, ask someone, they should do it.

Sorry for the late response! lol :p

its cool man :) have u managed to find it?

As I hate shopping, unless it's for cameras of course, I'm sneaking into Sainsbury's tomorrow morning.

I'm hoping everyone else will be in church somewhere, and I'll have the chance to look for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back