• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Las Vegas (1 Viewer)

Andy Thatcher

Has anyone been birding around Vegas ?

Odd time to go I know but I am going in August and was wondering if anyone had any tips as I have been searching and not finding a lot of info :h?:

Any help gratefully accepted.

Andy Thatcher said:
Has anyone been birding around Vegas ?

Odd time to go I know but I am going in August and was wondering if anyone had any tips as I have been searching and not finding a lot of info :h?:

Any help gratefully accepted.

Its going to be pretty grim in August expect 100+ days most of the time.
Check this out there supposed to be quite good birding at Clark mountain http://home.att.net/~redknot/clarkmtn.htm
If you do hike up Clark mountain be very careful as dehydration and heat stroke can catch up with you pretty quickly and there won't be anyone around to help you out. People die out there regularly.
Haven't been there myself but have been in that area, also check out the Eastern Mojave national park (very beautiful) theres supposed to be quite good birding in the Cima area although again August is not the optimal time.

Also you won't be far from the north rim of the grand canyon (chance of california condors at vermilion cliffs at the south side but i presume they fly and check out the north side as well). Also in southwest Utah about 3 hrs drive from LV theres Zion park which is great and I'm sure theres good stuff to see along the Virgin river.

I presume you've seen this
http://www.birdandhike.com/Bird/Bird_index.htm

Not much direct personal experience except from the Eastern Mojave and Zion parks I'm afraid but check these links out. Also if it gets too hot for you drive down here to the coast only 5 hours away and take a dip in the ocean maybe only 55 degrees water temp but after a week in Vegas will feel like heaven.

Have fun

Andy,

A friend from Southern Utah confirmed what David said that the temps. will be 100+ in Las Vegas and even made the suggestion that it would be worth the few hours drive coming over the border into Southern Utah which should be slighly cooler (but not much though).

Thankyou kind people.

I must say I had no even considered Condor !

Now that is a bird I am willing to spend a couple of days trying to track down even if I am only there 7.

Andy Thatcher said:
Thankyou kind people.

I must say I had no even considered Condor !

Now that is a bird I am willing to spend a couple of days trying to track down even if I am only there 7.

I've heard the grand canyon is one of the best places to see them at the moment. Vermillion cliffs has been the release site which I believe is on the south side of the canyon. Getting from the north side to the south side is quite a drive well over a 100 miles as theres a great big canyon in the way.
You might want to check out the grand canyon park service website or the peregrine fund web site or post a message on a arizona briding website or check out the audubon arizona sites.

Apparently they are pretty people friendly and tend to hang out at places that people congregate at which has been a probelm in the release program I believe.

http://azgfd.gov/w_c/california_condor.shtml

Last edited:
Decided to extend my trip to 2 weeks to make sure I pick up condor !

As said my plan pretty much revolves around finding water and watching to see what comes along as Vegas has not got all that much info compared to other places.

Many thanks for your replies folk. appreciated !

Andy

What dates in August are you out in Vegas?

I'll be there very briefly myself (friend getting married), and have a free day for birding, which I was planning on using to head into the Northern California desert around Cima to look for thrashers etc.

If you're around at the same time, you might want to come along? I'll have a hire car etc

Cheers.

Gruff Dodd said:
Andy

What dates in August are you out in Vegas?

I'll be there very briefly myself (friend getting married), and have a free day for birding, which I was planning on using to head into the Northern California desert around Cima to look for thrashers etc.

If you're around at the same time, you might want to come along? I'll have a hire car etc

Cheers.

I think you'll find Cima is in southern California. Great place to go but again watch out as it'll be very hot, currently today midday its at 102 and its not even June yet. Plenty of water early starts etc would be the order of the day and don't expect much else around there civilisation wise. Baker would be the closest I guess, home of thw worlds largest thermometer, you might want to check out the sewage works apparently good place and you can gas up and get food and escape the heat there a bit.

Dave

Hi Dave

Sorry, I meant southern rather than northern Cal - half-asleep today!

I was hoping to catch up with a few specialities of the area, specifically Crissal Thrasher, Bendire's Thrasher, Le Conte's Thrasher, Gilded Flicker, Grey Vireo and Black-chinned Sparrow.

If you have any suggestions as to where and how to look for these species, I'd be extremely interested!!

Cheers.

I fly out on the 25th of July and it will be the week following I will be birding a lot. The following week, week starting 1st August, I will be tied up a lot of the time with social stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back