• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Late For Wren Nesting, or Average ? - (Plus A Chaffinch Briefly Interferes) (1 Viewer)

Hornchurch

Am pretty stoked at the minute, as we have FOUR different types (species) of Birds nesting around our countryside house in less than orange throwing distance.

Whilst the other three ARE regulars (year after year), another high dedicated box that I put-up last year is now in use.

It's about 12-14ft up & the tree is liberally covered in Ivy, facing open farmland, with many shrubs & cover nearby

So I go out into the courtyard to get some stuff out of the car around 06.55am, when 2 x Wren catch my eye.

I sit IN the car (so as not to disturb them, about two Transit(s) length away & watch these dear little mites.

I've been seeing them out the back, by the brook, right near me, singing their hearts out, in this icy Artic winds we've had lately.

But today, early this Morn' & they're "in & out" the box over a half-hour period, carrying nesting materials

Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised, but I did liberally line the box (as others), with some fresh bought 'Meadow-Hay'

Anyways, whatever, am pretty stoked they're using it, clearly & about to start a family, as we have all types round here (regular)

They range from a Red-Kite pair outside my bedroom & across our neighbouring field, to the more obvious Blue Tits & Gt.Tits

Like, last year, I saw a pair of Goldfinch gathering stuff (nesting material), from a 'Goat-Willow', but I thought it was late ?

We've already had our first Baby Blue Tits, 2-3 days ago, flapping like mad for Mum, fairly near the feeding station (not near the Wrens)

So, seeing them (Wrens) hauling mucho material on at least 6-visits so far, to their box, are they late-starters (?), or, is this about average, time-wise ?

Lastly, whilst there (in the car), I noted a Male Chaffinch came down on a branch right nearby the entrance to the Wren's chosen site.

As he was quite near the entrance, I watched, but then he appeared to 'attack' or pester the lower-sited Wren, who was in & around the Ivy

At that point I made my presence known & the Male Chaffinch flew off, but the Wrens kept coming-back.

Are Chaffinch of the persuasion to do that sort of thing ? (it surprised me to see it & a li'l disappointed to see it, too)

I might photograph the box & box-site later, but I've work to do & sadly it's dark-grey rain clouds outside, for now...

If I get chance, I'll take some pix & attach later, further down the thread.

'H.C'

Haven't done this since the forum layout host-site changed, but here goes, I'll try some pix...

IMG_2598 by 798pix.jpg
-
IMG_2597  by 798pix.jpg
Box seems fairly well-hidden, from distance - Use the White ranch fence-gate as a visual reference to see the box

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back