• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Ultravid HD 10x42 value? (1 Viewer)

Allen

Thinking of selling my 10x42 Leica Ultravid HD in the near future but no idea what market value to expect. Any binocular expert ideas what would be a reasonable expectation for a pair in excellent well looked after condition?

I guess it would not only depend on the condition (well, obviously) but also if you have the original receipt/papers and how old they are (early/late production, compared to BR/HD+)
If they're immaculate, maybe... a little north of 1000 €? Just guessing from what I've seen/bought in the past.

On this side of the pond, the 10x42 is very popular and sells for more than the comparable 8x42. A good condition Ultravid HD (not plus) 10x42 would be in the $1200-1300 range, give or take, whereas the 8x42 seems to sell for ~15-20% less.

Then of course it depends on how quickly you want to sell vs how much it's worth waiting to squeeze out a bit more proceeds!

Hehehe, anyone would think that eitanaltman or myself spend time looking for binoculars :D :D I can see a very similar assessment across the Atlantic, then. The prices slightly beyond the 1000 € mark than came to my mind, like 1050 - 1100 €, are roughly 1275 - 1350 US $, in the region of what eitanaltman is saying.

I would really love to talk with someone at ebay (or the like), or even better, have access to their auction details, I'm sure there are many fascinating pieces of information. One thing that strikes me is how many times the binoculars come "in batches": say I'm looking for something special and not that common, like a 7x42 Zeiss FL. You might not see one for nearly a couple of years, but then you see 3 appearing in a very short period of time in auction sites. So, who knows, it your 10x42 UVHD come after a "dry season" of 10x42 UVHDs, you might fetch a higher price.

Thanks both, more than I thought. I will have the original receipts somewhere...probably with the box in the loft (attic)

The way to get top dollar on 10x42 resales is to list them on gasp, hunting forums. Favorite format of big game hunters especially in the western US and Canada. Just before hunting season is the best time although they sell pretty good throughout the year as well. Leica doesn’t have quite as much cache amongst hunters as Zeiss and Swaro so they don’t get quite as much resale but it’s still pretty good especially in the 10x42 format. I spend a lot of time hunting for good used deals on those sites and the majority of the used bins I’ve bought come from them. When I sell I list as many places as possible and only list on eBay as a last resort since their fees are so high. Good luck with your sale.

Allen, what country are you from, that makes a difference to values we may post. Your Leica is a good one and I suppose around
$1,100.00 US would be a normal range.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back