• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica UV 8x20 versus Zeiss Victory 8x25 (1 Viewer)

binomaniac

Romania
Hello everybody. I'm thinking of buying a pocket binoculars. I had all the pocket binoculars made by Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski and Nikon, in the variants of 8x20-8x25 and 10x 25 except for two: Leica Ultravid 8x20 and Zeiss Victory 8x25.
I have a question for those who had the chance to compare them:
I want to know which one has better resolution and contrast. I would buy Leica because it is smaller, lighter and I love Leica colors.
I would take Zeiss for greater field of view, better ergonomics ,bigger exit pupil so more light. But if it turns out that Leica has the same or better resolution, contrast, then I would opt for a smaller size. But again, if Zeiss controls the parasitic lights better, I think that in the end the choice will go to Zeiss because in vain you have better resolution and contrast if the parasitic lights ruin them. It seems that it will not be easy to decide.
Thank you all in advance for any useful information.

Binomaniac,
The differences between the two are very small but testing them this morning it seems to me the Leica has very slightly better resolution and contrast also slightly better control of glare when looking toward the sun. This is my impression when specifically looking for the factors about which you are asking and it's doubtful I would detect the small differences in actual use as opposed to "testing" or comparing.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Hi mwhogue, I read your post with a lot of emotion, I must confess that I have a great inclination towards Leica which in my opinion has the most interesting design, in addition I would like the best optics in the smallest package and if Zeiss does not it is obviously superior optically to Leica then with all the advantages of Zeiss listed by me in the first post, I would opt for UV. Thank you very much for your post. Stay safe.

it seems to me the Leica has very slightly better resolution and contrast

I had the Zeiss Victory 8x20 T, and switched to the Leica 8x20 Ultravid for the reasons stated above. Its resolution is simply phenomenal for such a small binocular. I can't say how it compares to the 8x25 however, as I've never compared those two. In a way the 8x25 and the 8x20 are quite different binoculars, with the 8x20 Ultravid being lighter and far more compact... it really accomplishes to a greater degree what an ultra-compact binocular is all about.

No compact binocular in the field is as satisfying as a larger binocular, but for its intended purpose, I don't think you can go wrong with the Leica.

I want to know which one has better resolution and contrast.
I have both. I prefer Leica color and contrast but I see no difference in resolution.

I would buy Leica because it is smaller, lighter and I love Leica colors. I would take Zeiss for greater field of view, better ergonomics ,bigger exit pupil so more light.
You have it exactly and this is why I have both: if I want as small as possible, I take the Leica and still enjoy an excellent image.
But if I'm going for a hike and want small, lightweight binoculars just in case in my backpack, it will be the Zeiss: excellent image, wide FOV, comfortable with glasses and clearly more convenient to use than the Leica.

In fact, they will probably replace my old Trinovid 8x32 as my travel/hike binoculars because they are so good, something the 8x20 could never do.

Thanks Mac 308, from what I read in other reviews I suspected that UV 8x20 has an extraordinary resolution. As for what pm 42 says, I think in the end the best solution will be to have both. Let's see how I manage with the necessary money. Thank you both for your involvement in this thread.

I have both the UV 8x20 BL and the Zeiss 8x25. I don't know about any differences in resolution (my eyes are the limiting factor), but in terms of usability, there is no comparison, the Zeiss replaced my UV HD 8x32. It is bulkier due to the single hinge, however.

Thank you fazalmajid, I would have a question for you, I hope you don't consider it too stupid: If Leica would also make an Ultravid 8X25, with 130 meters field of view, possibly HD, also with two hinges, you think you would like it much more Leica than Victory 8x25?

Thank you fazalmajid, I would have a question for you, I hope you don't consider it too stupid: If Leica would also make an Ultravid 8X25, with 130 meters field of view, possibly HD, also with two hinges, you think you would like it much more Leica than Victory 8x25?

The new Retrovid 8x40 only manages 123m, so I don’t see how they could get that in a 8x25. But yes, people tout the single-hinge design of the Zeiss as a feature, I disagree and would prefer a double hinge to reduce the size.

I have an Ultravid 8x20, and the small size is both its strength and weakness
In terms of usability, the 29 mm diameter eyecups allowed a lot of front lighting from around the eyecups to detract from the image
However, the performance was transformed - though with a very slight loss of compactness - by adding slip on 36 mm diameter winged eyecups
(although I haven't bothered, the wings could be cut off to minimise the additional bulk)

For some visual comparisons of the respective sizes of the Leica and the Zeiss:
1) Zeiss Victory 8x25, Swarovski CL 8x25 and Leica UV 8x20
from the Porters at: http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2018_pocket_bins/chart_2018.html

2) Zeiss Victory 8x25 and Swarovski CL 8x25 (without distortion to the Zeiss)
from Erik at: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/569127-new-zeiss-victory-pocket-8x25-and-10x25-introduced/

3) Leica UV HD 8x32, Swarovski CL 8x25 and Leica UV 8x20
from Dominique (image #5) at: http://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/read.php?9,421726,421726#msg-421726

4) Leica Noctivid 8x42, Zeiss Victory 8x25 and Leica UV HD 8x32
from Tobias at: http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/allpages/reviews/zeiss/zeissvictoryfl8x25/zeiss_victory_8x25.html

John

And if you want something really compact, the shirt pocket size Nikon Mikron Porro prism in 6x15 or 7x15!
from Dennis at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3845907#post3845907

Attachments

• Zeiss, Swaro & Leica.jpg
    Zeiss, Swaro & Leica.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 215
  • Zeiss & Swaro.jpg
    Zeiss & Swaro.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 198
  • Leica, Swaro & Leica.jpg
    Leica, Swaro & Leica.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 224
  • Leica, Zeiss & Leica.jpg
    Leica, Zeiss & Leica.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 244
  • Swaro x25, Leica x20 & Nikon x15.jpg
    Swaro x25, Leica x20 & Nikon x15.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
While I prefer the colour balance etc of Leica (and Nikon), I found no comparison when comparing the 8x20 UV and 8x25 Zeiss.
The Leica were fiddly and generally not worth the effort, I promptly returned them.
The Zeiss have what I consider to be the best handling, easiest view and overall quality of handling and view than any other compact.
I suggest you try the UV first (sometimes easier said than done) before you commit to them. I really wanted the tiny UV to be the ones but in hand they fell short.
I often use the 8x25 Zeiss as primary binoculars due to size/performance characteristics, I can strongly recommend them.

I'll also add that the glare control of the Zeiss is very good. This (glare) is always a big consideration in my choice of binoculars.

Last edited:
Whether a binocular is fiddly or not depends on how well it fits your face and eye sockets. Just because one binocular is fiddly for you doesn't mean it will be fiddly for somebody else. When I had the Zeiss 8x25 and UV 8x20 the Zeiss was way more fiddly for me than the UV 8x20 because the eye cups were not long enough for the eye relief, so I had to hold it away from my face to see the full FOV and I have heard a lot of other comments about this, especially from non-spectacle wearers. Compacts are more fiddly in general because of their small exit pupils, so they have to fit your eye sockets and face just perfect to work. They are way less forgiving than a good 8x32 or 8x42 and have a propensity for being fiddly.

Yes we've heard it all before Dennis. Just because you can't... Blah blah blah.
I don't wear glasses, yes the eye-cups could be longer but they work perfectly well if you're not inept. I position them on my brow in much the same fashion as I do when I use my UV HD+ 7x42.

Last edited:
I couldn't fit the Zeiss 8x25 or Swaro 8x25 in my pocket either unless I had a coat with a big pocket. They look about the same size as the UV 8x32 to me. Now the UV 8x20 is truly pocket-size.

More nonsense.
You have a persistent and irritating agenda Dennis. Well noted by many users of this forum, fortunately for most it is ignored or dismissed at large.
I'm generally fine with your flavour of the month and closed minded elitism but sometimes once I've read your regurgitated speech ad nauseam it becomes boring.
Each to their own I guess?

Last edited:
Whether a binocular is fiddly or not depends on how well it fits your face and eye sockets. Just because one binocular is fiddly for you doesn't mean it will be fiddly for somebody else. When I had the Zeiss 8x25 and UV 8x20 the Zeiss was way more fiddly for me than the UV 8x20 because the eye cups were not long enough for the eye relief, so I had to hold it away from my face to see the full FOV and I have heard a lot of other comments about this, especially from non-spectacle wearers. Compacts are more fiddly in general because of their small exit pupils, so they have to fit your eye sockets and face just perfect to work. They are way less forgiving than a good 8x32 or 8x42 and have a propensity for being fiddly.

Blah.

Out of order F88, there seems to be a fashion to attack this member of the forum, this has happened on quite a few occasions now ...his posts and opinions are every bit as valid as yours, and by the way you replied to the same post twice, both times with 'blah'. The posts from this member simply state his perspective, and he adds 'for me' to illustrate this - if you have another opinion, just express it.

I don't have, nor have used, the Leica pockets, but I puchased the Zeiss Victory Pockets a month ago and, personally, I find them superb - very nice handling, brightness and clarity.

Hello everyone, I just woke up, turned on the computer and: WOW I was overwhelmed by the abundance of posts. Here's what I've understood so far: In terms of optics, the differences in resolution and contrast are relatively small, with some preferring Leica colors. So it remains to be decided whether I want the smallest binoculars or the easiest to look through. I don't think I will be able to make the right decision if I don't have the chance to compare them side by side. I have nowhere in Romania to do this, so the only solution will be to buy both. And who knows? maybe I decide to keep both. Thank you all for your involvement

Out of order F88, there seems to be a fashion to attack this member of the forum, this has happened on quite a few occasions now ...his posts and opinions are every bit as valid as yours, and by the way you replied to the same post twice, both times with 'blah'. The posts from this member simply state his perspective, and he adds 'for me' to illustrate this - if you have another opinion, just express it.

This.

By the way, I have compromised on the pocket v 32 debate by buying some CL 30s; for me they offer the perfect balance. It really is a case of horses for courses. But it does strike me that if you want a high quality genuine pocket sized binocular then the UVs are the way to go. Now back to debating in my head whether to buy those UV 7x42s

Perhaps I snapped a bit but I'm in no way apologetic. The continual nonsense that gets spouted by Dennis seems to cause such division.
As I said, most in the know ignore while others are incensed then there's those like yourself who feel the need to defend rights and so on.
There's a reason why Dennis attracts negative attention, he continually bangs on with nonsense and trolls threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back