• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica UVHD+... all I can say is that the view is simply "DELICIOUS" (1 Viewer)

The history of the Leitz/ Leica companies can be traced back to 1849, when Carl Kellner established an 'Optical Institute' in Wetzlar for the development of lenses and microscopes.

Kellner died in 1855, and in 1865 Ernst Leitz became a partner in the company, then the sole owner in 1869. For the rest of the century the main product was microscopes.

Binocular production commenced in 1907. And during the 1920’s Ernst’s son (also named Ernst) developed a 35 mm camera, with the first public presentation being in 1925. The camera marked the introduction of the Leica brand (a contraction of Leitz Camera).

For a chronology of major company events up to 2000 see: Milestones of Leica

In relation binocular developments up until 1958, see the four page article 'Leica binoculars - A century of path breaking inventions'.
And also see a detailed listing of binocular models up to 1996 complied by the late Peter Abrahams.
n.b. binoculars were branded Leitz until the introduction of the Leica Ultra BA line in 1990 (later they were also referred to as Trinovids).

John

Attachments

• Leica Binoculars a.jpg
    Leica Binoculars a.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Leica Binoculars b & c.jpg
    Leica Binoculars b & c.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Leica Binoculars d.jpg
    Leica Binoculars d.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Leitz: Leica Binoculars to 1996.txt
    12.8 KB · Views: 8
...binoculars were branded Leitz until the introduction of the Leica Ultra BA line in 1990 (later they were also referred to as Trinovids).
My first ones were/are the Leitz branded version B, and then the Leica BN and HD+. Not sure I'll ever get rid of any of them.

The history of the Leitz/ Leica companies can be traced back to 1849, when Carl Kellner established an 'Optical Institute' in Wetzlar for the development of lenses and microscopes.

Kellner died in 1855, and in 1865 Ernst Leitz became a partner in the company, then the sole owner in 1869. For the rest of the century the main product was microscopes.

Binocular production commenced in 1907. And during the 1920’s Ernst’s son (also named Ernst) developed a 35 mm camera, with the first public presentation being in 1925. The camera marked the introduction of the Leica brand (a contraction of Leitz Camera).

For a chronology of major company events up to 2000 see: Milestones of Leica

In relation binocular developments up until 1958, see the four page article 'Leica binoculars - A century of path breaking inventions'.
And also see a detailed listing of binocular models up to 1996 complied by the late Peter Abrahams.
n.b. binoculars were branded Leitz until the introduction of the Leica Ultra BA line in 1990 (later they were also referred to as Trinovids).

John

Hi John A Roberts,

Thats some great stuff, Thank you for sharing that. The optics enthusiast (optics geek) that I am, I already emailed those attachments to myself, filed them in there own Leica historical file , with cloud and auto external hard drive back up. Really enjoyable, it’s nice to have all that historical data after spending so much money as well as hours and hours of enjoyment with these wonderful devices.

What a wonderful website and the group of great people here, (yes dries1 to 🤭) has made this hobby so much more enjoyable. The technical information, opinions, banter and even the sarcasm all rolled up together adds so much. I have to mention ZD’s delicious descriptions of optics and incredible photos all bring a smile to my face.

I wish everyone here a happy, healthy, profitable new year and look forward to more sharing our enjoyable experiences throughout the coming year. Thank you all.

Paul

My first ones were/are the Leitz branded version B, and then the Leica BN and HD+. Not sure I'll ever get rid of any of them.
AH yes. My first were the Leitz Trinovid 8x20 BCA, which I bought around 1982 or so, to take to the symphony hall in San Francisco, which I frequented quite a bit back then. Still have them, but haven't used them in very many years.

Hi John A Roberts,

Thats some great stuff, Thank you for sharing that. The optics enthusiast (optics geek) that I am, I already emailed those attachments to myself, filed them in there own Leica historical file , with cloud and auto external hard drive back up. Really enjoyable, it’s nice to have all that historical data after spending so much money as well as hours and hours of enjoyment with these wonderful devices.

What a wonderful website and the group of great people here, (yes dries1 to 🤭) has made this hobby so much more enjoyable. The technical information, opinions, banter and even the sarcasm all rolled up together adds so much. I have to mention ZD’s delicious descriptions of optics and incredible photos all bring a smile to my face.

I wish everyone here a happy, healthy, profitable new year and look forward to more sharing our enjoyable experiences throughout the coming year. Thank you all.

Paul
Paul... and what a great binocular enthusiast you are!

Best wishes to you for the new year, which will be on us quite NIGH! :)

AH yes. My first were the Leitz Trinovid 8x20 BCA, which I bought around 1982 or so, to take to the symphony hall in San Francisco, which I frequented quite a bit back then. Still have them, but haven't used them in very many years.
It a little bit of a surprise to see how great they still are. Looking around at the snowy landscape a few moments ago through my older Leitz reminded me just how keepable they are. Not like they're really worth all that much anyway, so they may as well play backup/loaner role at this point and maybe you could drop them in the glove box for a permanent car binocular, which is what I'm planning on doing with mine.

Paul... and what a great binocular enthusiast you are!

Best wishes to you for the new year, which will be on us quite NIGH! :)
How are ya ZD,

That’s what I tell myself. My wife says I just like to spend and waste money. Maybe it’s somewhere in between. 🤪.

Just got the Noctivids , looking good so far. I’ll keep you posted on that, I know you have an interest. No sun almost at week now . The gods must know I purchased optics. Same thing happened monday when the those Leica Trinovid Classics got here. Now I got two new toys to occupy me for the next few weeks. I’m really, really hoping Noctivids have that color saturation/contrast that I find so appealing in the UVHD. I can say depth of field is much deeper in the Nocs.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Paul

How are ya ZD,

That’s what I tell myself. My wife says I just like to spend and waste money. Maybe it’s somewhere in between. 🤪.

Just got the Noctivids , looking good so far. I’ll keep you posted on that, I know you have an interest. No sun almost at week now . The gods must know I purchased optics. Same thing happened monday when the those Leica Trinovid Classics got here. Now I got two new toys to occupy me for the next few weeks. I’m really, really hoping Noctivids have that color saturation/contrast that I find so appealing in the UVHD. I can say depth of field is much deeper in the Nocs.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Paul

I think you will find the colours very slightly less saturated, but more natural and no less pleasing, whilst at the same time the somewhat flatter field (less pincushion) higher contrast and noticeably larger sweet spot plus the extra depth of field will add up to an overall better image. Will be interesting to hear your experience and opinions. Happy New Year!

I think you will find the colours very slightly less saturated, but more natural and no less pleasing, whilst at the same time the somewhat flatter field (less pincushion) higher contrast and noticeably larger sweet spot plus the extra depth of field will add up to an overall better image. Will be interesting to hear your experience and opinions. Happy New Year!
Hi Mike,

Happy new year to you and your family as well!

Thats exactly what I’m hoping. A flatter, brighter and wider sweet spot, while maintaining what I love about the UVHD’s. I have to mentally and visually legitimize this purchase.

The DOF is so noticeable , that jumps right out. And the UVHD are no slouch in that area either, and it wasn’t like it took time to notice. It’s a very strong point on these binos. It was just a stretch this time to buy another 8x, I seem to have overlapped addictively. I’ll keep you posted.

Thank you
Paul

It a little bit of a surprise to see how great they still are. Looking around at the snowy landscape a few moments ago through my older Leitz reminded me just how keepable they are. Not like they're really worth all that much anyway, so they may as well play backup/loaner role at this point and maybe you could drop them in the glove box for a permanent car binocular, which is what I'm planning on doing with mine.
I must say, now that I'm quite accustomed to the 8x32 UVHD+, using the Leitz 8x20 BCA is a significant step down.

Yes, they were pretty decent in the 1980's, for symphony & the theater. Now here, 40 years hence... I don't find any joy using them - tiny little eyecups, not great for color quality nor contrast, nor very bright, and a bit of a loose hinge. :(

BUT, that said... they still do the very job that I enjoyed them doing 40 years ago, and they would still be a suitable pair to take to a concert. I'm just spoiled today.

I do think I'd likely enjoy the new 7x21's a good bit more for concert-going, though. Generally speaking though, I don't enjoy stepping down smaller from the 8x32 UVHD+.

How are ya ZD,

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Paul
Doing quite well, Paul, thank you.

I've got more than I deserve in great binoculars at present, but there is one glaring hole in my line up - no 8x42s. (I went with 7x42 UVHD+ in place of 8x42s.) So... to fill that spot in my line up - SOMEDAY - the Noctivid 8x42 would probably be just the ticket - when I feel I really NEED to fill that spot.

I have a feeling that you're going to love those Noctivids! You have two new, wonderful Leica "looking glasses" to enjoy going into the new year - good for you. I hope you enjoy them in great health for years to come.

The DOF is so noticeable , that jumps right out. And the UVHD are no slouch in that area either, and it wasn’t like it took time to notice. It’s a very strong point on these binos.
Can you go into any more depth on this, at least for those of us fairly new to all of this. Curious to know what kind of advantages I might find in case they ever do release an 8x32 Noctivid.

I must say, now that I'm quite accustomed to the 8x32 UVHD+, using the Leitz 8x20 BCA is a significant step down.
Fortunately I'm very new to this, which allows me to still appreciate a lesser product, and while I much prefer my Ultravids over the two older B and BN Trinovids, they still seem like very good binoculars to me. Especially when the cost of the three pairs are put into direct comparison.

I got the Ultravids for what I think was a pretty good price, but they still cost about double what my BN purchase ran, and right at about 5 times what I've got invested in the old Leitz B.

I’ve had a pair of Leica 10x25 BCA’s since the mid nineties. For many years it was my only binocular. In the last five years or so, as finances have allowed, I’ve been able to purchase several full-size Leica binoculars, including a few Ultravid’s and a Noctivid in various magnifications from 7 to 12.
I have to say that I still use my BCA’s and enjoy them as much as ever. Yes, of course there is a massive difference compared to the other full-size binoculars, but it still gives me as much pleasure as before, and I like to use it as a ‘reality check’ so that I appreciate my full size bins even more!

Can you go into any more depth on this, at least for those of us fairly new to all of this. Curious to know what kind of advantages I might find in case they ever do release an 8x32 Noctivid.
If you are referring to DOF, distance between the nearest and farthest objects in a scene that appear acceptably sharp in an image. There are multiple factors that go into what makes a good DOF. I know it when I see it. I’m sure others here will have a better technical description.

I’ve never had the pleaser to try the B or BN Trinovid so I can’t give you impressions of the differences between them and the Noctivid.

If you are referring to DOF, distance between the nearest and farthest objects in a scene that appear acceptably sharp in an image. There are multiple factors that go into what makes a good DOF. I know it when I see it. I’m sure others here will have a better technical description.

I’ve never had the pleasure to try the B or BN Trinovid so I can’t give you impressions of the differences between them and the Noctivid.
One of the things I enjoy about binocular views is the shallow depth of field and also, for me at least, one of the more enjoyable aspects of photography. We see with our eyes, all the way from close up to to far, far away, but the camera or binocular typically gives a reduced depth of field and so I wondered if your reference had to do with a more natural view and great depth.
And of course, no one can compare yet to the 8x32 Noctivid until they eventually release one, which hopefully they will.

One of the things I enjoy about binocular views is the shallow depth of field and also, for me at least, one of the more enjoyable aspects of photography. We see with our eyes, all the way from close up to to far, far away, but the camera or binocular typically gives a reduced depth of field and so I wondered if your reference had to do with a more natural view and great depth.
And of course, no one can compare yet to the 8x32 Noctivid until they eventually release one, which hopefully they will.
I hope they don’t release it to soon because I’m way over my optics buying budget for the year😁, oh wait a second it’s 2022 , new year , new budget👍

I think I understand what you meant about depth of field. I’m not much of a photographer but I got the basics. We’re looking for different things when we’re looking through optics or taking photographs. When taking photographs there are times were looking for a very shallow depth of field , Portrait photos, wild life, etc. etc. We want to blur that background to accentuate the object in the photo. This of course is determined by how fast or slow our lenses are and our choice of settings.

Interesting point you expressed about our eyes, how our DOF is enormous, focusing takes place almost instantly. As soon as I picked up the Noctivids the depth of field was one of the first things that popped out to me. Objects in front and back of an object being observed were in focus more so than the 8x32 and 8x42 UVHD’s. It was noticeable and not expected. A little like a good 7x or 8x porro.

I’m looking forward to a sunny day. It’s been cloudy here since last Monday, probably because the optics gods know I bought two binoculars in one week and the wife is waiting for the kitchen renovation.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back