• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Ventana? (1 Viewer)

Kammerdiner

I dont think you are comparing like for like.

Leupold SX-1 Ventana 15-45x 60mm....how do you change the ep? Seems you atuck with the zoom. Not what most birders want in my experience.

Well, no I'm not comparing like for like. I'm mainly comparing a difference of 41 ounces in weight and whether or not I can get scope and tripod on a plane.

Obviously the Nikon ED50 is the one to go with here, but the ER on the zoom is pretty tight and the supply of 27x fixed EP's seems to have dried up. And then there's the cost, pretty $$ for something I'd use only a few times a year.

There has to be (or should be anyway) a decent lightweight 50-60mm scope out there that doesn't cost $800.

Anybody know of one??

How about this oddball: Celestron C70 Mini Mak with a Meade 5000 super plossl of 26 or 32mm. Maybe a Celestron X-Cel 25mm instead. That would yield 23-30x, with enough ER for glasses. Cheap too: $140 or so.

Mark

I dont know..doesnt have ED glass,not a rotatory collar,and only a fixed eyepiece(of Huge eye relief!). I am not be very excited with the looks either..not for birding..actually the super long eye relief of 26 mm seems something that shooters can like,and maybe is aimed to that market primarily..
The famous Saker ,for its own sake,has already impressed some members here,and is actually cheaper...ED glass,dual focusser,rotatory collar ,even a detachable eyepiece (even if not other eyepieces are available,there is always a chance to find something at some point!)
I mention this one but there are others..the ED50 is more expensive but what combination If you already have a large scope!.AND if you invest in one you might end not using it ONLY a few times a year!..
The Bushnell HD 50(legend?)looks ok,and there should be some reviews available someplace,..
The minox 50 that Cameraland was selling for 180 dollars too(not sure if they still have some left)

And to answer Your question ...

No...I havent seen One of the Ventanas...

Last edited:
I dont know..doesnt have ED glass,not a rotatory collar,and only a fixed eyepiece(of Huge eye relief!). I am not be very excited with the looks either..not for birding..actually the super long eye relief of 26 mm seems something that shooters can like,and maybe is aimed to that market primarily..
The famous Saker ,for its own sake,has already impressed some members here,and is actually cheaper...ED glass,dual focusser,rotatory collar ,even a detachable eyepiece (even if not other eyepieces are available,there is always a chance to find something at some point!)
I mention this one but there are others..the ED50 is more expensive but what combination If you already have a large scope!.AND if you invest in one you might end not using it ONLY a few times a year!..
The Bushnell HD 50(legend?)looks ok,and there should be some reviews available someplace,..
The minox 50 that Cameraland was selling for 180 dollars too(not sure if they still have some left)

And to answer Your question ...

No...I havent seen One of the Ventanas...

Yes, that Bushnell Legend has been on my radar screen for a while. No one seems to have seen one of those either.

I suppose I should just spring for the Nikon, but there is a big market for something light, cheap and good, even fixed EP.

Good point about the ER, mayoayo. I like a lot of ER in a scope, but that might be too much.

Mark

Mark,

What about the Pentax 65 ED II? I just posted a link yesterday in the binocular bargains thread for a seller on the bay that has the straight scope body for $389 and $399. There were three or four at the $399 price. All you would need then is any 1.25 inch eyepiece...of which there are hundreds ranging in price from $20 all the way up to $700.

The scope body weighs 37 ounces.

I was going to also suggest the Theron Saker at $250 but noticed that they are out of stock on both the straight and angled models.

Frank, I've definitely thought of the Pentax. I'd want the angled version which can be had for $480 right now, without EP. I've got a 17mm Baader Hyperion that would yield 23x on the Pentax. Probably a nice combo.

Trouble is that would still be around 50 ounces, and more than I was hoping for. Still 22 ounces less than the Regal and a few inches shorter would be an improvement for travel. I doubt you could use a really compact/lightweight tripod though.

For now, the ED50 is a class of one. Strange that Nikon let the supply of EP's dry up. Maybe the tsunami??

Mark

Yes, that Bushnell Legend has been on my radar screen for a while. No one seems to have seen one of those either.

I suppose I should just spring for the Nikon, but there is a big market for something light, cheap and good, even fixed EP.

Good point about the ER, mayoayo. I like a lot of ER in a scope, but that might be too much.

Mark

I had a Legend Ultra HD 50mm for a while. It is really a pretty decent scope. I'd put it a little better than the Minox and a little below the Nikon. It is however quite a bit bigger than either one, but still smaller than any 65 class spotter I know of. It would be a pretty good ocassional use, smallish spotter.

Thanks, Steve. 36 ounces is definitely in the ballpark. Could you comment on the ER? It's rated at 17mm, but I think I read somewhere that while zooming it decreased significantly. Since I wear glasses I like extra ER in a scope.

Any other comments about image quality would be nice, if you remember/have the time.

I'll probably just order one of these and see how it goes, but any further insights would be appreciated.

Mark

Thanks, Steve. 36 ounces is definitely in the ballpark. Could you comment on the ER? It's rated at 17mm, but I think I read somewhere that while zooming it decreased significantly. Since I wear glasses I like extra ER in a scope.

Any other comments about image quality would be nice, if you remember/have the time.

I'll probably just order one of these and see how it goes, but any further insights would be appreciated.

Mark

Yes the ER does decrease with increase in magnification. I'm not needful of critical eye relief, so it didn't bother me. On the other hand, the ER really decreases FAST after you get above 25x or so. I also found that the image was best up to about 26-27x or so and pretty dim (or at least dimmer) after that. That scope would be served with a good WA fixed mid 20x eye piece. I don't have it anymore, or I'd go do some checking. Buit I was pretty happy with it up to 25x or above, and less so say upper 20's to high end, which I expected in the first place.

The resolution compared to the ED 50 was pretty comparable at the lower half of the range, the ED 50 kicks butt in the upper half.

I looked up the Ventana after I read your post, and from what I can see online, it does have a lot going for it. What is does up to the eye may be a different matter, but it sure seems a nice small size for a 60mm.

Last edited:
Much as I like my Celestron 80mm Regal it's just too much to travel with. Plus, at 72 ounces you need a pretty heavy-duty tripod.

But I ran across this Leupold that certainly sounds nice: Leupold SX-1 Ventana 15-45x 60mm--and only 30.6 ounces. $300. Well now, I could live with that.

http://www.leupold.com/observation/products/spotting-scopes/sx-1-ventana-spotting-scopes/sx-1-ventana-15-45x60mm-angled-spotting-scope/

Anybody seen one??

Mark

Mark:

Have you tried the Ventana? I was in Gander Mountain, and the optics mgr.
said it is much like the Leupold Sequoia scope that was prior. I had that one
and it was not much good, I traded it in, it was my first scope.
I suppose it is in that lower-mid range area, and that is a tough area to
achieve much in quality. The Ventana, may be better, but who knows.

Jerry

Mark:

Have you tried the Ventana? I was in Gander Mountain, and the optics mgr.
said it is much like the Leupold Sequoia scope that was prior. I had that one
and it was not much good, I traded it in, it was my first scope.
I suppose it is in that lower-mid range area, and that is a tough area to
achieve much in quality. The Ventana, may be better, but who knows.

Jerry

Jerry,

I decided to try the Celestron C70, along with a Celestron X-Cel LX 25mm that will yield 30x. Total cost: $145, less than half the cost of the Ventana.

It hasn't arrived yet, and I have no idea what to expect, but I'll weigh in when I get a chance to use it.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back