• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for an 8x32 in the $300 range (1 Viewer)

So which bino did you end up going with?
I ordered the Opticron Explorer WA ED-R 8x32. Arrived yesterday so I haven't had time for any serious birding yet. But focus is sharp, color is good, CA very well controlled. I've experienced a little of the blackout issue but I don't think it will be a problem.

I ordered the Opticron Explorer WA ED-R 8x32. Arrived yesterday so I haven't had time for any serious birding yet. But focus is sharp, color is good, CA very well controlled. I've experienced a little of the blackout issue but I don't think it will be a problem.
When I first got them, I was worried about the initial blackout I experienced, but over time it became very manageable. I say give it a few weeks to get used to it and you should be able to minimize it pretty well. Hope it goes well, look forward to hearing how your experience goes👍

When I first got them, I was worried about the initial blackout I experienced, but over time it became very manageable. I say give it a few weeks to get used to it and you should be able to minimize it pretty well. Hope it goes well, look forward to hearing how your experience goes👍
Hoping to get out to a water habitat next week to do more testing. But so far, I like the Opticron very much. I do wish the US warranty was 10 years, like the UK warranty, instead of 5 years. But at this price point, not really an issue.

Clearly the best for me, ZEISS 8x30B Dialyt second-hand from the years 1974-1980 approximately for a reasonable budget.
In this period they are not yet T*, so they are a bit sensitive to flare, but they are extremely sharp over a large part of the field, not as bright as current productions, but also much more comfortable and relaxing for long periods of use.
I bought mine for 200€ on eBay, in very good condition.
They are my favorite just after my Swarovsky NL Pure 10x30.

Regards,
Jean-Luc

Clearly the best for me, ZEISS 8x30B Dialyt second-hand from the years 1974-1980 approximately for a reasonable budget.
In this period they are not yet T*, so they are a bit sensitive to flare, but they are extremely sharp over a large part of the field, not as bright as current productions, but also much more comfortable and relaxing for long periods of use.
I bought mine for 200€ on eBay, in very good condition.
They are my favorite just after my Swarovsky NL Pure 10x30.

Regards,
Jean-Luc
Jean Luc,
I am thrilled that U found the right scope for your application. 30mm aperture is too small for me. I used a 10x50 bino for a long time then decided to try a spotter. Shopped around and found a handheld 16x80 on E-Bay that rocks. Nice wide, flat field, lightweight and no tripod because of low power and design. What ever hits the spot. Birdbrain14

Jean Luc,
I am thrilled that U found the right scope for your application. 30mm aperture is too small for me. I used a 10x50 bino for a long time then decided to try a spotter. Shopped around and found a handheld 16x80 on E-Bay that rocks. Nice wide, flat field, lightweight and no tripod because of low power and design. What ever hits the spot. Birdbrain14
Glad for you that you have found your happiness
Best regards
Jean-Luc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back