• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for an 8x32 in the $300 range (1 Viewer)

If one has an E II or a Nikon SE 8X32, is there really a need for the Oberwerk?
Andy,

No. But coming from guys like us that have way to many binoculars and multiples of some, it’s kind of fun. But they’re MIC, so no go for me. The ones I bought were for a client who was going to buy them, so I killed two birds (is that bad pun here) with one binocular. I get to compare them with others and browny points for the client gift. It’s win, win. 😀🙏🏼.

Paul

The facts don’t support what your concerned about, the reviews have substantiated the quality of the binoculars for the price point. The size of the eyes cups are totally subjective , and my focuser is very good as was a few other reviews. It’s obvious your defective pair was not a good representation of its optical quality in relation to the E2. If you did have a good one and compared it side by side and with the help of some unbiased observers then you would come to a different conclusion. Until then your opinion is way off base on these binoculars, at least as far as optically. This is good glass It’s a shame you couldn’t experience that.
In your initial review of the Oberwerk SE 8x32, you said you were returning them for focuser issues, but you didn't say the focuser was way too tight or the the big eye cups might be an issue for some people. If you had divulged that information, I wouldn't have wasted my time buying them and then having to return them. It wasn't until after I purchased them and I said the eye cups were too big and the focuser too tight that you were cornered, and you agreed with me. Now you are changing your mind AGAIN and saying the eye cups are totally subjective, and your focuser was very good! And you say I change my mind a lot! Why are you trying to defend these binoculars? At least I am being forthright and saying I don't really care for them, and it is ok if you like them. That is just a matter of opinion, but don't cover up the facts. I am sure once more members try them, we will get a better poll of how good of a value the Oberwerk's are. I am sure some people will like them and some won't. From Paultricounty quotes.

"My initial copy had a little bit of an issue with the focuser which Kevin from Oberwerk took care of, and had them on the way back to me in two days priory mail. The focuser is average to good, and I think in line with other water proof Chinese binos within the price point."

"Reluctantly I’m agreeing with Denco on a few points (don’t hate me) the eye cups are thick, huge things, but he already knew that from the pictures. As far as the focuser, I had an issue with mine as well and Kevin took care of it and another one came back with a very smooth focuser."

Last edited:
If one has an E II or a Nikon SE 8X32, is there really a need for the Oberwerk?
No. Why would you buy a lesser quality binocular with inferior optics, unless you just wanted something for a cheap car binocular or a beater that had to be waterproof, and I can understand that. The Oberwerk SE 8x32 might be good to take to Costa Rica where there is a chance of theft, and you were birding in a rain forest like Monteverde.

In your initial review of the Oberwerk SE 8x32, you said you were returning them for focuser issues, but you didn't say the focuser was way too tight or the the big eye cups might be an issue for some people. If you had divulged that information, I wouldn't have wasted my time buying them and then having to return them. It wasn't until after I purchased them and I said the eye cups were too big and the focuser too tight that you were cornered, and you agreed with me. Now you are changing your mind AGAIN and saying the eye cups are totally subjective, and your focuser was very good! And you say I change my mind a lot! Why are you trying to defend these binoculars? At least I am being forthright and saying I don't really care for them, and it is ok if you like them. That is just a matter of opinion, but don't cover up the facts. I am sure once more members try them, we will get a better poll of how good of a value the Oberwerk's are. I am sure some people will like them and some won't.

"My initial copy had a little bit of an issue with the focuser which Kevin from Oberwerk took care of, and had them on the way back to me in two days priory mail. The focuser is average to good, and I think in line with other water proof Chinese binos within the price point."

"Reluctantly I’m agreeing with Denco on a few points (don’t hate me) the eye cups are thick, huge things, but he already knew that from the pictures. As far as the focuser, I had an issue with mine as well and Kevin took care of it and another one came back with a very smooth focuser."
I am not sure who stated the last paragraph in bold
(
"Reluctantly I’m agreeing with Denco on a few points (don’t hate me) the eye cups are thick, huge things, but he already knew that from the pictures. As far as the focuser, I had an issue with mine as well and Kevin took care of it and another one came back with a very smooth focuser.")
...but I am curious...was it the same pair repaired or a new pair replaced or...do you know? Because I think that gets back to some of my issues with some binoculars where the binocular is more easily replaced than having a a technician fix them. It also begs the question that if I had a Zeiss Terra...and had the same issue, would it be replaced or repaired?

(

...but I am curious...was it the same pair repaired or a new pair replaced or...do you know? Because I think that gets back to some of my issues with some binoculars where the binocular is more easily replaced than having a a technician fix them. It also begs the question that if I had a Zeiss Terra...and had the same issue, would it be replaced or repaired?
It is, like Oberwerk said, it depends on the cost of the binocular and how extensive the repairs are also. If it is something simple like adjusting the focuser or collimating the binocular Oberwerk or Zeiss might just repair even an inexpensive binocular but if the binocular is 10 years old and needs a complete rebuild it would be less expensive to replace it. Only the more expensive binoculars are worth doing extensive repairs on, like the SF. Even then they may consider just replacing it. Think of a Rolex watch versus a Casio. If the Rolex breaks you get it repaired, but if the Casio breaks you replace it. If you watch YouTube videos on repairing old classic Rolex watches, it is amazing how much work they go through to rebuild them and restore them because their value is so high.

Whew you buy a Leica binocular, you pay for Leica quality optics AND

This activities are not free of charge. Nor is the 30 years warranty.
Other brands can do business differently. And the clients seem happy with it.

The Oberwerk SE 8x32 is an immature product and should not have been released yet as far as I am concerned. The eye cups are way too big and hard and the focuser is way too tight. If they get those two things corrected, it might be ok for a cheap $250 MIC porro. Even with it being defective, I could tell it is NO match for the E2 or SE optically or quality wise. I mean, I really I didn't expect much from a $250 binocular, and I got less. I am sorry I tell it like I see it, and I am not going to mislead people into thinking the Oberwerk SE 8x32 is a better binocular than either the Nikon E2 or SE when it isn't. Then they buy one and have to return it, like I did.
The eyecups are soft rubber with a rounded edge, over a metal twist-up mechanism. At 44.5mm diameter, they're the second-narrowest twist-ups in our product line. People rarely have issues with our 48mm twist-ups. If you don't like twist-ups, just say so- because these are as small and soft as possible. Regarding the focuser, keep in mind that unlike the Nikon SE, this is a waterproof nitrogen-filled binocular. To maintain that seal, there are O-rings riding between the eyepieces and the guide tubes. There's going to be a degree of unavoidable drag when using O-rings, but this improves with usage. Another thing to consider- with a small-body Porro, there isn't much internal volume. So when you're operating the focuser and those eyepieces are moving inward/outward, you're increasing/decreasing internal atmospheric pressure. It's a small amount, but enough to feel it. This is less of an issue with larger Porros that have more internal volume.

In your initial review of the Oberwerk SE 8x32, you said you were returning them for focuser issues, but you didn't say the focuser was way too tight or the the big eye cups might be an issue for some people. If you had divulged that information, I wouldn't have wasted my time buying them and then having to return them. It wasn't until after I purchased them and I said the eye cups were too big and the focuser too tight that you were cornered, and you agreed with me. Now you are changing your mind AGAIN and saying the eye cups are totally subjective, and your focuser was very good! And you say I change my mind a lot! Why are you trying to defend these binoculars? At least I am being forthright and saying I don't really care for them, and it is ok if you like them. That is just a matter of opinion, but don't cover up the facts. I am sure once more members try them, we will get a better poll of how good of a value the Oberwerk's are. I am sure some people will like them and some won't. From Paultricounty quotes.
Mine was a specific issue with the focuser and not inherent with all of them as has been determined by other reviews. As far as the eyecups being large, I have absolutely no problem with them I actually like them and they fit me very well. And out of the five people that did side-by-side comparisons with Nikon E2’s and SE’s , three of them liked the eye cups and the other two were indifferent. I’m not changing my mind at all ,don’t put words in my mouth. So no problem with the eyecups, the problem is with your head and eye construction. Don’t blame that on Oberwerk, blame that on your parents, it’s genetics.
As stated in my review if you read the whole thing and don’t cherry pick and try to twist my post then you would say I rated the optics very good. It’s unfortunate you were unable to experience that with that defective pair that you had. You can say you didn’t care for them but let’s be very clear to everybody reading this , you didn’t care for a defective pair of binoculars.
Yes overtime we will see more reviews and probably most of them are going to say this is really nice optics for $250. A matter of fact there’s not too many binoculars better out there for $250. As far as how long they’re gonna last based on the build quality, they seem to be built pretty good but that will remains to be seen after some use. The only person here covering up facts is you with your bias. As everybody here well knows I am no fan of MIC , but I’m calling it like it is, show me a better Binocular for $250.

The eyecups are soft rubber with a rounded edge, over a metal twist-up mechanism. At 44.5mm diameter, they're the second-narrowest twist-ups in our product line. People rarely have issues with our 48mm twist-ups. If you don't like twist-ups, just say so- because these are as small and soft as possible. Regarding the focuser, keep in mind that unlike the Nikon SE, this is a waterproof nitrogen-filled binocular. To maintain that seal, there are O-rings riding between the eyepieces and the guide tubes. There's going to be a degree of unavoidable drag when using O-rings, but this improves with usage. Another thing to consider- with a small-body Porro, there isn't much internal volume. So when you're operating the focuser and those eyepieces are moving inward/outward, you're increasing/decreasing internal atmospheric pressure. It's a small amount, but enough to feel it. This is less of an issue with larger Porros that have more internal volume.
Kevin. Maybe you need to install an air purge on those Oberwerk SE's to release all that air pressure!(Just Kidding). I understand about the drag when using O-rings to seal porros. The Swarovski Habicht is a perfect example of a sealed porro with O-rings that has as a result has an extremely tight focuser. I never had a Habicht focuser loosen up too much with use, but I guess I never had one for longer than a year or so before the focuser got on my nerves.

That is a disadvantage of a porro and probably the fact that they are harder to waterproof than a roof prism led to the roof dominating the marketplace. Maybe 44.5 mm is small for your product line, but it is larger than the average birding binocular eye cup OD. Both my Swarovski NL 8x32 and my Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 have eye cups that are 41 mm OD, which is quite a bit smaller than the ones on your Oberwerk SE 8x32. Certainly it depends on your eye socket diameter, but I think a lot of birders being used to smaller diameter eye cups are going to find the eye cups on the SE too big.

If you are used to the softer all rubber eye cups on the Nikon E2 and SE, you are going to notice yours are much harder. The Oberwerk SE eye cups are much harder than either my Swarovski NL 8x32 and Nikon Monarch HG 10x 42 also. The hardness combined with the larger diameter made them very uncomfortable for me. Also, have you ever measured the real FOV on the Oberwerk SE 8x32? They don't seem to have the 8.2 degree FOV as stated for some reason. They seem more like about 8 degrees at most.

(

It was replaced with another one. After explaining the issue to Kevin he believed it was an adjustment issue, I disagreed and after he got them back he must’ve agreed , or it’s policy to replace rather than repair. I’ve had this issue multiple times with Vortex and some Nikon binoculars, every time they were replaced. I can understand it when it’s a $200 Binocular and it takes an hour or more to repair them, makes sense to replace than to repair, but what I don’t get is when you have $500 binoculars and they replace them. Of course it depends on the issue.

A little on the large size but no problems and very comfortable. Not much different than quite a few of the binoculars on the market. I think for most the eye cups will work well. Theres always someone with an odd eye socket where some binoculars won’t work, same with bins that have very thing cups.

Heres a few pictures of some others with big eyecups.
1: GPO HD
2: GPO and Canon 10x42IS
3: Kowa Genesis
4: EDG

Attachments

• 62C31E70-A2EE-4111-B5BB-EAEB375FF390.jpg
    62C31E70-A2EE-4111-B5BB-EAEB375FF390.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 72B0C209-4443-44DC-904D-6A9B4E198F68.jpg
    72B0C209-4443-44DC-904D-6A9B4E198F68.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 2408815E-AF79-46CF-A3DB-E78E59E1AAD9.jpg
    2408815E-AF79-46CF-A3DB-E78E59E1AAD9.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 18
  • B03CB993-FCC7-49DD-9FE2-166E005ADA97.jpg
    B03CB993-FCC7-49DD-9FE2-166E005ADA97.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 18
A little on the large size but no problems and very comfortable. Not much different than quite a few of the binoculars on the market. I think for most the eye cups will work well. Theres always someone with an odd eye socket where some binoculars won’t work, same with bins that have very thing cups.

Heres a few pictures of some others with big eyecups.
1: GPO HD
2: GPO and Canon 10x42IS
3: Kowa Genesis
4: EDG
What is the OD in mm of the eye cups in those four binoculars you have pictured? Thanks!

Cest, I did buy the Hawke marine 7x32. The copy I received was defective, right side wouldn't focus. (I have the 7x42 monocular, which is great.) Anyway, I returned the 7x32 and decided to just get an 8x32.

Here are the suggestions from this thread that are around $300 (or at least under $400):
Oberwerk SE 8x32
Opticron 8x32 Explorer WA ED-R
Kowa BDII 8x32
Vortex Diamondback HD 8x32
Nikon Monarch M7 8x30 (used)
GPO Passion ED 8x32 (used)

I bought the Kowas, waiting for them to be delivered.
Excited to hear what you think of them.

Excited to hear what you think of them.
Of that list I’ve tried every one of those except the Opticron, I have the Magica. I also had the OB side by side with the M7 and Diamondback. I’d say optically the OB was on the top of that list. Not trying to burst ant bubbles here, and at this price point if I was only to have one or two binoculars I probably would not choose the OB for other reasons. Under those circumstances I most likely would buy the Kowa or Nikon.

Paul

What is the OD in mm of the eye cups in those four binoculars you have pictured? Thanks!
Kowa 8x33 eyecup diameter is a little wider than rounded Conquest 10x42 and flat GPO HD 8x42, but is narrower than the flat/hard eyecups of Nikon AE 7x35. I use the wide FOV Nikon with glasses, but not comfortably without, since, without glasses, I have to balance it on my nose, not pressed against my eye sockets. With my IPD of about 57mm, Nikon pinches, Kowa does not (nor Conquest or GPO). Kowa eyecups are rounded, but are not soft rubber. Never had the pleasure of Oberwerk SE 8x32 porro, but I read that its eyecup diameter is similar to that of Nikon AE. I like trying porros, don't mind a stiff, smooth focus, but I dislike paying to return items, especially if warned they would likely disappoint. Anyone out there with narrow IPD who can compare Nikon AE 7x35 and Oberwerk SE 8x32?

Kowa 8x33 eyecup diameter is a little wider than rounded Conquest 10x42 and flat GPO HD 8x42, but is narrower than the flat/hard eyecups of Nikon AE 7x35. I use the wide FOV Nikon with glasses, but not comfortably without, since, without glasses, I have to balance it on my nose, not pressed against my eye sockets. With my IPD of about 57mm, Nikon pinches, Kowa does not (nor Conquest or GPO). Kowa eyecups are rounded, but are not soft rubber. Never had the pleasure of Oberwerk SE 8x32 porro, but I read that its eyecup diameter is similar to that of Nikon AE. I like trying porros, don't mind a stiff, smooth focus, but I dislike paying to return items, especially if warned they would likely disappoint. Anyone out there with narrow IPD who can compare Nikon AE 7x35 and Oberwerk SE 8x32?
I wouldn’t go by the warning of one bias member. The majority of reviews are positive. No different than any other inexpensive $250 optic.

SB,

I believe the the diameter of the OB 8X32 eyecup was previously reported as 44.5 mm, so if you measure your AE 7X35 eyecup that might give you an idea if they will fit comfortably to your IPD.

This from Pinac on cloudy nights bino forum-
"
Of course, a lot depends on how you tend to operate your bino and whether you press the eyecups into your eye sockets, hold them against your brow, or ….
For me with my relatively narrow IPD (61 mm), there is always a risk of discomfort with large eyepieces/eyecups.

I find the AE okay, but not great, whereas the Oberwerk SE is good and easy to operate. Both shape and material of they SE’s eyecups are better in my view than on the AE.

Pinac"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back