• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for an 8x32 in the $300 range (1 Viewer)

The Kowa binoculars didn't work out for me. There was a hair thin point on the focus knob where the view was sharpest, finicky to dial in. Also, edge blur seemed excessive. But CA control was impressive and they seemed well built. I don't think they were defective, just quirky, and I didn't enjoy using them.

The Oberwerk is tempting, but it only has a 3 year warranty. A used M7 8x30 is also tempting, but Nikon says there would be no warranty. So I'm still considering the Opticron (lifetime warranty) at around $229-$269.

The Kowa binoculars didn't work out for me. There was a hair thin point on the focus knob where the view was sharpest, finicky to dial in. Also, edge blur seemed excessive. But CA control was impressive and they seemed well built. I don't think they were defective, just quirky, and I didn't enjoy using them.

The Oberwerk is tempting, but it only has a 3 year warranty. A used M7 8x30 is also tempting, but Nikon says there would be no warranty. So I'm still considering the Opticron (lifetime warranty) at around $229-$269.

While I think you’ll be happy with the Opticron, it does seem like the Oberwerk is the better performer.
And based on this review: Product Review: Oberwerk SE 8 x 32ED. | Neil English.net
It doesn’t seem to produce the blackout issues that I had experienced with the explorer. The only potential issue I see is that the Oberwerk is nearly twice the weight of the Opticron. Just throwing out my two cents - look forward to see which one you go with ! 👍

While I think you’ll be happy with the Opticron, it does seem like the Oberwerk is the better performer.
And based on this review: Product Review: Oberwerk SE 8 x 32ED. | Neil English.net
It doesn’t seem to produce the blackout issues that I had experienced with the explorer. The only potential issue I see is that the Oberwerk is nearly twice the weight of the Opticron. Just throwing out my two cents - look forward to see which one you go with ! 👍
Thanks for mentioning the weight of the Oberwerk. That's a consideration because I also carry camera gear when birding. The Opticron is 15.5 oz, only about an ounce heavier than the Prostaff 7s. The Oberwerk is 28 oz. (Btw, I was wrong about the Oberwerk warranty, it's only 2 years for the 8x32.) Were you able to position the Opticrons to eliminate the blackouts?

Thanks for mentioning the weight of the Oberwerk. That's a consideration because I also carry camera gear when birding. The Opticron is 15.5 oz, only about an ounce heavier than the Prostaff 7s. The Oberwerk is 28 oz. (Btw, I was wrong about the Oberwerk warranty, it's only 2 years for the 8x32.) Were you able to position the Opticrons to eliminate the blackouts?
Yes, once you get familiar with them you can eliminate the blackouts. they might pop up every now and then just to remind you that they are there lol but for the most part, I didn’t have any issues once I got the hang of the binocular.

Last edited:
Yes, once you get familiar with them you can eliminate the blackouts. they might pop up every now and then just to remind you that they are there lol but for the most part, I didn’t have any issues once I got the hang of the binocular.
Thanks, JOC1. Best price I've found is through dvor, but their return policy is limited. Like a lot of folks here, I've had QC issues with some MiC optics. So I may just pay more to have the option of a better return/replacement policy. Anyway, I appreciate all your feedback!

Has anyone here compared the Snypex Knight 8x32 D-ED with the Opticron Explorer WA ED-R 8x32? I saw the comments from gcole and mwhogue about the Snypex and read some reviews/ratings for the two bins. Still leaning toward the Opticron, but curious about the Snypex, which has come down in price.

The Snypex has considerably less fov than the Opticron. The Opticron choice seem obvious to me. The Snypex fov is just smaller than really would like to use, the Opticron is more in my comfort range.

SInce I use Teddy Roosevelt quote in my signature line, I'll add another TR quote here..."comparison is the thief of joy". As I see it the quote applies to binocular selection as ...try not to overthink things too much. There will most likely be insignificant differences between any tow binoculars in this price range anyway.

Last edited:
Has anyone here compared the Snypex Knight 8x32 D-ED with the Opticron Explorer WA ED-R 8x32? I saw the comments from gcole and mwhogue about the Snypex and read some reviews/ratings for the two bins. Still leaning toward the Opticron, but curious about the Snypex, which has come down in price.

Wingingit,

I still have the Snypex. I owned the Opticron Discovery WP PC 8x32, a less expensive model than the Explorer. Gifted it to my brother who loves it.

Based on that experience and a couple of Opticron pockets I own, I agree with Steve C #189. Go with Explorer (EDIT).

Also strongly second Maljuluno's advice #190.

Mike

Last edited:
Wingingit,

I still have the Snypex. I owned the Opticron Discovery WP PC 8x32, a less expensive model than the Explorer. Gifted it to my brother who loves it.

Based on that experience and a couple of Opticron pockets I own, I agree with Steve C #189. Go with the Discovery.

Mike

I gave Opticron Discovery to GF few years back. It's cheap and maybe the lightest possible option. On the other hand, it feels bit like toy. The ocular part unglued itself in GF's light use, but I just put it back. Now it don't work properly, maybe it's out of collimation. :( Some others have reported that Discovery is durable though. However, I can't wholeheartedly recommend Discovery as the M7 is way better.

Attachments

• disc.png
    disc.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
Just received the 8x32 GPO Spectra from COSTCO for $329. I'm not really bino experienced but it appears to be the twin (slight difference in front element) of the GPO Passion ED, which is of notable repute. Same box, same case, same chassis, same eye cups delivered in 5 days, supported by Costco's generous return policy. It has a dark green rubber armor, no color choice. I'm new, but first viewing is amazing for clarity and sharpness. Focus seems quick and smooth. Available in 8x42 and 10x42. Guessing that unless you have an optics bench it's an excellent entry level bino at a great price.
I'm a beginner, and wanted a high quality affordable binocular so I could observe wildlife and birds Otherwise, I don't have brand preferences or the time or inclination to obtain and return binos in this price range. Let the viewing experience begin.

Just received the 8x32 GPO Spectra from COSTCO for $329. I'm not really bino experienced but it appears to be the twin (slight difference in front element) of the GPO Passion ED, which is of notable repute. Same box, same case, same chassis, same eye cups delivered in 5 days, supported by Costco's generous return policy. It has a dark green rubber armor, no color choice. I'm new, but first viewing is amazing for clarity and sharpness. Focus seems quick and smooth. Available in 8x42 and 10x42. Guessing that unless you have an optics bench it's an excellent entry level bino at a great price.
I'm a beginner, and wanted a high quality affordable binocular so I could observe wildlife and birds Otherwise, I don't have brand preferences or the time or inclination to obtain and return binos in this price range. Let the viewing experience begin.
I gave this one a like. It represents quite a bit about binocular choices, IMO. Here is a new user, wanting to spend a modest sum, who looked around, made a choice, went with it and is happy with the result. I happen to think he could have made the very same post by inserting a number of other binoculars in the given price range. While it is quite natural to want to compare this one with that one (the topic is an ever present one here) the reality is within the boundaries of any desired budget range, be they defined by a mean of $300 or a max of $3,000 the singular most important thing is ergonomics. Even then most binoculars will be fine for most people. Perusal of sites like this can certainly be helpful in defining possibilities of what to look for, but after a certain point it can lead to overthinking the topic to the point of utter confusion.

SIggy made his choice and seems happy with it. Now, as he gains experience, keeping on mind it takes at least a year of use to really evaluate a glass, he may well find something different may suit his needs better. He then has some experience to guide his further decisions. One of the most difficult things in binocular selection is to be happy with what you have. You need to feel what you bought is worth the price you paid. Some folks can spend lesser amounts, some need to spend more. Neither side is either right or wrong.

………. the reality is within the boundaries of any desired budget range, be they defined by a mean of $300 or a max of $3,000 the singular most important thing is ergonomics. Even then most binoculars will be fine for most people. Perusal of sites like this can certainly be helpful in defining possibilities of what to look for, but after a certain point it can lead to overthinking the topic to the point of utter confusion.

SIggy made his choice and seems happy with it. Now, as he gains experience, keeping on mind it takes at least a year of use to really evaluate a glass, he may well find something different may suit his needs better. He then has some experience to guide his further decisions. One of the most difficult things in binocular selection is to be happy with what you have. You need to feel what you bought is worth the price you paid. Some folks can spend lesser amounts, some need to spend more. Neither side is either right or wrong.
Well said.

I gave this one a like. It represents quite a bit about binocular choices, IMO. Here is a new user, wanting to spend a modest sum, who looked around, made a choice, went with it and is happy with the result. I happen to think he could have made the very same post by inserting a number of other binoculars in the given price range. While it is quite natural to want to compare this one with that one (the topic is an ever present one here) the reality is within the boundaries of any desired budget range, be they defined by a mean of $300 or a max of $3,000 the singular most important thing is ergonomics. Even then most binoculars will be fine for most people. Perusal of sites like this can certainly be helpful in defining possibilities of what to look for, but after a certain point it can lead to overthinking the topic to the point of utter confusion.

Amen to that. Siggy has made an excellent choice in his binocular purchase. As the delighted owner of several Geco/GPO bino's I am staggered at just how good they are irrespective of cost or country of manufacture. Two are MiC, three are MiJ and all are exceptionaly good. I didn't purchase them based on where they were made or what they cost but because I liked them and they suited me....and they still do.

I don't care about future resale costs, not in the least bit concerned about which badge is on them but do care about optical performance, build quality and how they feel in my hands. No one else's.

But, following on from the 'gaining experience' bit of @Steve C's excellent post I have certainly gained experience and have moved slightly upwards. And I say slightly as to my aged eyes the Geco/GPO/Hawke and Steiner Navigators (ex- Royal Marines so waterproof and floatable was an essential) in my fleet met, and stiil do, all my requirements admirably.

That is until I bought a pair of Habicht 7x42's on a whim and was astounded at the level of detail that they afforded. They scratched an itch and I fell in love with them, so much so that after testing several Alpha's last week I gained permission from the Long Haired General to buy a pair of Pure NL 10x42's. I have arrived at optical heaven.

I am firmly in both the 'spent less' and the 'spend more' camps and am delighted with all that I have bought. And that includes the remarkably good little Zeiss Terra 8x25's which, after the kind Mr Zeiss sent me £50 for a pair of truly awful Lidl bino's, cost the princely sum of £150.

I really have been at both ends of the binocular spectrum from a quality and cost perspective and am a very happy teddy bear with all of them.

…the singular most important thing is ergonomics.
That was a really great dissertation and I just wanted to put a little emphasis on the importance of ergonomics and alignment issues. I thoroughly believe that most anything will work for most anyone but that there can always be individual issues, which for me seemed to be blackouts.
Initially interested in a cheaper binocular, blackouts were a constant plague for me and it was a tremendous relief when I eventually took a chance on my first real binocular and fortunately escaped from the blackout phenomenon.

So which bino did you end up going with?

That was a really great dissertation and I just wanted to put a little emphasis on the importance of ergonomics and alignment issues. I thoroughly believe that most anything will work for most anyone but that there can always be individual issues, which for me seemed to be blackouts.
Initially interested in a cheaper binocular, blackouts were a constant plague for me and it was a tremendous relief when I eventually took a chance on my first real binocular and fortunately escaped from the blackout phenomenon.
Blackouts are a deal killer for a lot of people, it’s just not comfortable to use for any lengthy period of time. It’s a constant annoyance to have to get the binoculars just right to align with your eyes. Another huge annoyance that for me seems to hinder optimum performance is the collimation. I have bought numerous binoculars that the sellers had said collimation is good and even brand new binoculars that were out collimation. There is collimation, then there is collimation. One is that they’re close enough for the binoculars to work adequately and have a good image quality, with no issues with either alignment or perceived fatigue. But to get the optimum performance perfectly sharp image quality on an object they need to be right on alignment or I notice a difference. I maybe more sensitive to this than others , I don’t know.

Some nice posts in this thread. I find it refreshing. Maybe inflation has me appreciative of value based optics over the pristine image my alpha delivers. I really like my Opticron 8x32 Travelers, they hold their own against my Conquests, but the Swaro EL are better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back