• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for some pocket binos I'm curious about the curios. (1 Viewer)

Hey Kids,
Play nice please … no hitting, no scratching.
May I suggest you take out your anger on the binos or on the vendors, but not on other forum members?

Edmund

Fact is pocket binoculars suck for anything other than a quick glance at something during good daylight viewing hours.
That's just not my experience. While I prefer my 8x32 Ultravid's for "serious" glassing, I could easily use the little 8x20 Ultravid for everything (it's the indian, not the arrow). While not as good in low light, and a bit more finicky to quickly employ, their resolution is none the less outstanding. I use them backpacking, dayhiking (where they definitely do not "suck"), and they're also the only bin that lives in my truck. I use them a lot. The only thing that would make them better is if they were 7x21 and had objective covers!

...I could easily use the little 8x20 Ultravid for everything...only thing that would make them better is if they were 7x21 and had objective covers!
Upgrades to the Ultravid 8x20 for me would be the covers you mention, twist up eyecups, which the Curio proved can be done without adding bulk, flip down objective covers, and offering them in 6x18 and/or 7x21. Not interested in getting rid of my larger binoculars, but the little Ultravid or Curio could be my only binocular if they had to be.
When I sent an 8x20 Ultravid to my brother, he called when they arrived and said he'd try them out in the next couple of days. Since I had him on the phone I asked him to just look out the window and tell me if he could see any difference in sharpness or brightness, hoping there'd be at least a little improvement over his cheap 8x20 he'd been using. He was really pleased with the additional sharpness and contrast but what really took him by surprise was just how much brighter it was, especially since they were both the same size, with the Ultravid a bit slimmer.

Another Curio lover here. They passed the test of time. There is a kind of darwinism of binos when you have a bunch of them available. More than 50% of the glassing time is spent with the tiny Curio over the big SLCs. I surprise myself choosing the Curio as my first option most of the times.

Attachments

• IMG_0097.jpeg
    IMG_0097.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 39

Users who are viewing this thread

Back