• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Curio 7x21 versus Victory 8x25 and Ultravid 8x20 (3 Viewers)

Unsure if i should add a VP8x25 to my final decision vs the Curio
You should.

Furthermore, you won't have the amazing brightness, nor the FOV that you have with your Curio.
FOV is 134m vs 130m, an insignificant difference, and AFOV is surely better at 8x on the Zeiss. I can't comment on "brightness" as I haven't tried the Curio; I don't get on with tiny eyecups (without eyeglasses). Definitely worth trying and comparing the two. The Zeiss is very impressive.

You should.

FOV is 134m vs 130m, an insignificant difference, and AFOV is surely better at 8x on the Zeiss. I can't comment on "brightness" as I haven't tried the Curio; I don't get on with tiny eyecups (without eyeglasses). Definitely worth trying and comparing the two. The Zeiss is very impressive.
I enjoy the compact binocular format. I recently acquired the Curio. Love it. I wear eyeglasses and raise the eyecups just a bit and it works very well. I leave them set there. Excellent view. Very happy with them. I carry them everywhere.

If you want to compare others, I also have had the Leica Ultravid 8x20 BR for many years, since they first came out. And the Leica 10x25 BRs as well. The 8x20s are right up there with the Curios, with excellent glass and just as compact. Closer focus. A little narrower view. And a bit fiddly to adjust. But the eyecups are the push-pull type which are not my favorite. But excellent build. But I tend to like the Curios a little more. For the screw in eyecups and the slightly wider view and the excellent glass. And I find that I like the 7x format.

As far as 8x25s on the market, I have 2, the Swarovski 8x25CL, and the Zeiss Terra 8x25. I decided against the Zeiss 8X25 Victory Pocket due to its single hinge design. I like the twin hinge of the others much better. Apparently the VP has great glass and a wide view, but I just can’t get past the single hinge thing. The Swarovskis have excellent glass and the Terra’s are my “knockabouts”, when they might be treated roughly. They focus closer than the Swaros as well. But there is something about the Swaros when you look through them. And of course the screw down eyecups. Their best feature, in a way.

Hope this helps.

Curio vs VP
They are two completely different binoculars.
It depends on what you want more from a bino.
For extreme compactness I would choose Curio...
For ergonomics and more immersive image I would choose Zeiss VP. .

You should.

If you haven't tried the Curio, you've missed something. It's the pair I find easiest to use with glasses (or without), and the optics are impressive. As mentioned: it has relegated my Zeiss Victory pocket to a drawer somewhere...

I enjoy the compact binocular format. I recently acquired the Curio. Love it. I wear eyeglasses and raise the eyecups just a bit and it works very well. I leave them set there. Excellent view. Very happy with them. I carry them everywhere.

If you want to compare others, I also have had the Leica Ultravid 8x20 BR for many years, since they first came out. And the Leica 10x25 BRs as well. The 8x20s are right up there with the Curios, with excellent glass and just as compact. Closer focus. A little narrower view. And a bit fiddly to adjust. But the eyecups are the push-pull type which are not my favorite. But excellent build. But I tend to like the Curios a little more. For the screw in eyecups and the slightly wider view and the excellent glass. And I find that I like the 7x format.
Nice comparison and I briefly retired my 8x20 Ultravid for a few weeks when I first got the Curio, pretty much for some of the same reasons you mentioned. So easy to line up with my eyes, and the twist up eyecups. I could easily carry either one, but still prefer the Leica overall.

0p%2
You should.

You are absolutely right. Thanks for correcting my post. However, I would guess that the Curio, because of its edge to edge sharpness, i.e. flat field, might give the impression of a wider FOV that the numbers don't suggest. Again, I could be wrong. I have never had the pleasure of trying the 8x25 VP. I should.

Curio vs VP
They are two completely different binoculars.
It depends on what you want more from a bino.
For extreme compactness I would choose Curio...
For ergonomics and more immersive image I would choose Zeiss VP. .

This is a good summary. IMO both are best in their respective class, as I agree the two are "completely different" for those who want the best possible bin with at all times. Not to argue but as a matter of preference I find the image of both to be equally immersive. The VP's outstanding advantage for many is in handling. We know it does not agree with everyone but I'm lucky to own number of very nice bins in various configurations and the handling of the VP is - and this is highly subjective but - without a doubt the best for me. The Curio is considerably smaller and for those who prefer 7 to 8x offers that as well.

Mike

Happy NewYear, everyone!!

I just bought a pair of the VP8 x25 to compare with my Curios that I have been using for about 3 weeks.
Why? Well, although I initially loved the Curio, there were a few things that bothered me, most of which had to do with handling and holding them steady. They are so small that holding them steady was a problem for me. With time, I got better at holding the Curio, but found it fatiguing bracing my arms close to my sides for extended periods of time.
Although a bit bigger and heavier, I thought the VP 8x25 deserved a try, because they were still pocketable, the main reason I wanted them.

I have had them for only a few days, but have been surprised how well the VP stands up to the Curio. In fact, the VP beats the Curio in all respects for me, except for a marginally brighter image that the Curio has on a bright day, but not as much on an overcast day.
Particularly the VP wins for me on:
1. Handling is easier for me to hold the VP steady.
2. Closer minimum focusing on the VP
3. Larger apparent field of view( actual FOV seems the same)
4.. Greater magnification combined with larger apparent FOV gives a more immersive view.
5. The construction of the VP feels and looks more robust to me. The bridge is armored whereas the bridge on the curio is exposed metal on top and thin plastic on the bottom. I like the 0 detent on the diopter on the VP which the Curio lacks.
5. Although I have yet to test, 25 mm vs 21 mm might give an edge on low light performace to the VP.
6. Swarovski's CL rainguard for pocket binoculars fits perfectly on the VP. ( It was loose on the Curio.)The Opticron L 25 mm objective covers, besides the imprinted name, look made for the VP. They don't slip around on the barrels and are easy to close and open on te objectives.

Although the size of the VP is noticeably larger unfolded, it is still quite pocketable when folded. I keep it in a 5x7 in drawstring felt bag that easily fits in my sweater or jacket pocket. For me and for my purposes of having a carry everywhere compact that I will find easy to use, the VP is the GoldieLocks of binoculars, neither to big or too small.

At this point, I will probably be returning the Curio. Because of the extended holiday returns, I have extra time to decide.

Attachments

• 20230101_125710.jpg
    20230101_125710.jpg
    890.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230101_133440.jpg
    20230101_133440.jpg
    869.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 20230101_125606.jpg
    20230101_125606.jpg
    686.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I can understand your decision. I came from long term ownership of the VP 8x25. Replaced it with the Curio and in the end went back to the VP.

I think the Curio is a mini marvel and I really enjoyed both of them but I have found that the starting point for me, personally, is around 7/8x30/32 for me to enjoy both the ergonomics and viewing experience in a binocular.

As it stands now both have found happy homes, I am using my 8x40 daily, while waiting on the SFL 8x30 to arrive at the market. Maybe this year…

If it is not just about as good in use as the VP 8x25 I can always pick up a VP again. They are sometimes on sale.

The VP is the next size up from the Curio, which is meant to be tiny above all else. I did like the VP a lot....but I could not get over the asymmetrical body. I'm right handed but I didnt' like the feel of the focuser off to one side. If it doesn't bother you, these are near perfect IMO.

The VP is the next size up from the Curio, which is meant to be tiny above all else. I did like the VP a lot....but I could not get over the asymmetrical body. I'm right handed but I didnt' like the feel of the focuser off to one side. If it doesn't bother you, these are near perfect IMO.
It took me about 20 min to get used to the asymmetrical hinge. The hardest part of that was keeping the hinge on an angle in order to keep the barrels horizontal. The focuser is larger on the VP and my extended Rt index finger more naturally falls onto it, (If I was left handed, I can see there might be a problem.) The more I use the VP, the more I am enjoying it. The Curio was great, but just too small to be as comfortable for me for extended use. ( If people haven't held the Curio, or seen one in the flesh, it is difficult to imagine how small it really is. In my mind before getting it, , I expected it to be the size of the VP., but the Curio is tiny in comparison.)

Although I had another 3 weeks to decide which bino which to keep, I shipped the Curio back today.. The VP may not be perfect (no bino is), but it a better compact bino fit for me. .

Really happy with the curios the last days, spotting a few wild pets and birdies :)
Its comfy for me and fits my eyes well, even i don't thought i keep it as i watched the first time through it, but once it fits, its a pleasure.

I even got it with me on my morning trailruns, where my old diamondback 832, was a bit to big to carry (without bagpack)

A user, i think it was in a different forum, recommended a Hama bag, which is indeed like its made for the curio, it fits exactly like a glove!

I carried the curio in front of me in my running belt and it went well!
First i was carrying it in a small nylon bag, but somehow there was a bit of humidity on it, which makes me nervous.
I know these swaros are proof, but i want the small marvel as save as possible :)

Now there is the EL8x32 and the Curio, and a Big One can join maybe at the end of the year!

I already had the 1032 NL here, but it was not way beyond the EL (10 was nice for details on birds tough)

When its time for it, it will be a hard decision again i think - 1032 / 1042 / 1242 - its not the time for it yet, for now :)

Last edited:
Several subjective observations regarding the Curio compared to the UV 8x20:

In overcast mid morning light, the Curio is noticeably brighter than the UV as expected.

In bright daylight the Curio is slightly brighter in direct comparison.

The Curio is much easier to handle and focus with one hand.

Both are excellent bins.

Mike

Hi,
And the Canon 8x20 is? Can be a good pocket binocular?
It is certainly a very good pair of binos, but they are fairly bulky and weigh more. Pocket? Don't think so, I've only tried one for a day and was impressed: the IS works, really. But I went for the Curio as the small one, considered a larger IS as main, ended up with very good optical quality glasses instead (Habicht 10x40, lighter than the 8x20 IS and much better glass). And happy with that.😀

I've swapped my Victory 8x25 for the Curio as I found the Curio worked better with my glasses. I'm able to see a nice clean circle with the Curio whereas with the Zeiss I couldn't quite.

Still not decided which I prefer optically though. Probably the Zeiss but that perception could change as I get to know them more.

My pesky Hawke 7x32 still seems to be troubling all comers in the sharpness department though.

Definitely looking forward to long unencombered hikes with the Curio. One thing I've noticed about them so far is how glare resistant they are.

This thread has made me want to investigate the VP 8x25 further and compare them to my Curios. In Munich on business next week and in Vienna the week after, so I'll see what I can rustle up.

mulligatawny owl,

Agree especially on this point. If / when you are inclined I would be interested in your further thoughts in comparing the Curio with the Zeiss VP 8x25.

Mike
The Curio is definitely growing on me more and more. It took me a little time to warm to them, in fact the first time I tried them in the store I dismissed them straight away. I'm so glad I gave them another try and eventually bought them.

At first I didn't think they were quite as sharp as the Victory and they seemed to have less 'pop' but they just took a bit more diopter fiddling to get right and a little more time to adjust to them.

I now think there is something quite special about the Curios view, I can't quite put my finger on exactly what though. The extra depth of field and steadiness of 7x really helps and you just don't expect such a bright, sharp, relaxed and effortless view from something so small.

For me the view is more immersive than the Victory. They are equal but really quite different from each other. I wouldn't want to go back to the Victory now though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back