• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Curio 7x21 versus Victory 8x25 and Ultravid 8x20 (4 Viewers)

binomaniac

Romania
Hello everyone, being very attracted to 7x magnification binoculars and just as passionate about pocket binoculars, I have been wondering for many years when one of the three top European companies will decide it's time to make a pocket of 7x magnification. That being said, I don't need to say how excited I was to hear the news that Swarovski will release the new Curio model. Being currently the happy owner of a Zeiss Victory 8x25 which is a recent manufacture and has such a fantastic resolution and contrast that in good light conditions it is very difficult to separate it from my Leica Noctivid 8x42 , , I can not help but wonder how Swarovski Curio 7x21 compares with Zeiss Victory 8x25 or Leica Ultravid 8x20. So I decided to open a new topic of discussion where all those who had the opportunity to compare the three binoculars to describe their impressions. I think there are many people who, like me, are extremely interested in this subject.

Here are some starting specs to be thinking about, with comparative numbers that could be thought of as better in others marked in green...

Swarovski CL Curio 7x21
Exit pupil: 3mm
FOV deg. actual: 7.7
FOV deg. apparent: 51
FOV linear: 405'(123m)/1000m
Eye relief: 16mm
Close focus: 8.2'(2.5m)
Weight: 8.9oz(252g)
Source: Swarovski Optik

Swarovski CL Pocket 8x25
Exit pupil: 3.125mm
FOV deg. actual: 6.8
FOV deg. apparent: 52
FOV linear: 357'(109m)/1000m
Eye relief: 17mm
Weight: 12.2oz(346g)
Source: Swarovski Optik

Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25
FOV deg. actual: 7.4
FOV deg. apparent: 60
FOV linear: 390'(130m)/1000m
Eye relief: 16.5mm
Close focus: 6.2'(1.9m)
Weight: 10.2oz(290g)
Source: Zeiss, B&Hphoto

Leica Ultravid 8x20 (BR)
Exit pupil: 2.5mm
FOV deg. actual: 6.5
FOV deg. apparent: [?]
FOV linear: 341'(110m)/1000m
Eye relief: 15mm
Close focus: 5.9'(1.8m)*
Weight: 8.5oz(240g)
Source: Leica, B&Hphoto
*sources disagree

Kowa Genesis Prominar 8x22 XD
Exit pupil: 2.75mm
FOV deg. actual: 7.5
FOV deg. apparent: [?]
FOV linear: 429'(131m)/1000m*
Eye relief: 15mm
Close focus: 5'(1.5m)
Weight: 11oz(315g)
Source: Kowa, B&Hphoto
*sources disagree

Nikon Trailblazer 8x25 ATB
FOV deg. actual: 8.2
FOV deg. apparent: 59.7
FOV linear: 429'(131m)/1000m
Eye relief: 10mm
Weight: 9.9oz(281g)
Source: Nikon

Last edited:
I did here: New Swarovski 7x Binocular and here: Leica Pocket like all purpose bino?

The main reason I bought the CL Curio is the wider FOV and the bigger pupil: they are more comfortable than the UV 8x20 for this reason. I find the Leica better on every other aspect: ergonomics, no apparent metal, focuser, dioptric correction...
Optically, they are very close: the CL Curio seem to have a better contrast/deeper blacks but maybe this is only because of the lower magnification.

The Zeiss are another story: they are very close to perfection but of course, the Curio are much smaller and very close. I even checked in low light and the difference was hard to see but of course, I'm not 20 anymore but 55.

I was on holidays in Greece last week and I hardly used the NL Pure 8x32 because we were more in cities or in places with very little wildlife. But the Curio were in my pants lateral big pocket all the time, very easy to access, weighting nothing and they had a lot of use.
Tonight, I'm going to the theater and I think I'll take them there too, just in case. For dance, I usually prefer something bigger but we will see as the Curio are really comfortable, very close to the Zeiss and only a little bit less than 8x32.

But as I stated before, the 3 of them are excellent and I'm on the process or buying/trying/selling binoculars after staying 20 years with the good same old Leicas (Trinovid 8x20 & 8x32).
So if I had the UV 8x20 or the Zeiss 8x25 when in my "use and do not change" mindset, I would probably not "upgrade" for the Curio.

I agree with PM42's post.

I have had the Victory Pocket 8x25 for a few years, and a Swarovski CL 8x20 prior to that. I still think the VP is one of the very best smaller binoculars considering ergonomics and optics. The smaller Leicas are beautifully built but other than that don't work for me. The Curio 7x21 has replaced the VP 8x25 for me - though the ergonomics and handling are slightly better on the VP the Curio fits me just well enough that I don't mind it, and at a smaller footprint. It has the size of the 8x20 Leicas and more or less the handling ease and performance of the "larger" Victory Pocket 8x25 and except for cold weather handling I don't miss the VP all that much.

The Curio is a side kick to my NL 8x32 Pure which I think is the best handling 8x32 with the best optics I have ever had or seen in this category but it is a fairly large 8x32.

Attachments

• Curio_NL_3.jpg
    Curio_NL_3.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 319
  • Curio_NL_2.jpg
    Curio_NL_2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 302
  • Curio_NL.jpg
    Curio_NL.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 310
I have the Leica Ultravid 8x20. The resolution is astonishing given their size (really on par with my 8x32 Ultravid's), and far ahead of the circa 2008 Zeiss Victory 8x20's I had.

So to my question... has anyone compared the 8x20 Ultravid and the 7x21 Curio in terms of resolution? For "real" testing I prefer to print off the USAF optics chart, viewing it over several days in a variety of lighting conditions.

I'm Curious about the Curio :)

I prefer 7x magnification (and the resultant larger exit pupil/field of view), and I don't especially like that the Ultravid has pull-out eyepieces (I prefer screw out) - it always seems the eye pieces are pushed in, or at least one is!

Thanks

Hello everyone, being very attracted to 7x magnification binoculars and just as passionate about pocket binoculars, I have been wondering for many years when one of the three top European companies will decide it's time to make a pocket of 7x magnification. That being said, I don't need to say how excited I was to hear the news that Swarovski will release the new Curio model. Being currently the happy owner of a Zeiss Victory 8x25 which is a recent manufacture and has such a fantastic resolution and contrast that in good light conditions it is very difficult to separate it from my Leica Noctivid 8x42 , , I can not help but wonder how Swarovski Curio 7x21 compares with Zeiss Victory 8x25 or Leica Ultravid 8x20. So I decided to open a new topic of discussion where all those who had the opportunity to compare the three binoculars to describe their impressions. I think there are many people who, like me, are extremely interested in this subject.

All good news here. I am a big fan of 6-7x with a wide FOV for all around use as well, so really love the Curio. If it came down to having to pick one or the other, I can understand going with either the Curio or the VP 8x25. The UV 8x20 would come next for me followed by the CL 8x25 and then the 8x20B Habicht.

I agree with a lot of what has been posted here and elsewhere on the comparisons between these various high end pockets. A few random subjective thoughts. Compared to the VP, the Curio's FOV appears larger than the 415' versus 394' specs led me to expect. The VP appears to have slightly more magnification than expected given the 7 versus 8x. One of my pet peeves is a narrow AFOV but again the AFOV of the Curio seems much better than the spec of 51 versus 60 for the VP (Thanks to Dr. K for post #2 above) . In good daylight, the Curio image is the brightest and "cleanest" as would be expected and the wide FOV combined with 7x DOF produces a nice 3D like effect. The VP handles perfectly for me giving me a very stable image for an 8x but the Curio's image is even more stable. The Curio image shows extremely accurate color, neither enhanced not washed out.

All of these bins are excellent/useful/enjoyable. But for me the Curio and VP 8x25 stand out even in this crowd.

Mike

I think on these three binoculars it really comes down to how they feel in your hands. These are 'micro'bins' ....and while the quality of each I feel is pretty on a par, since they are so teeny-weeny.... it might be best to base this discussion on an individual perspective on how well they fit in your hands. The off-center nature of the Zeiss....for one comes to mind but the same holds true for the rest as you compare the focus wheel placement, the feel of the barrels (as a difference is apparent), the eye-cups etc.

I liked the information provided by Dr k, as that is very complete, but the question really needs the individual touch to answer...jim

Has anybody had trouble with the focusing knob coming off their Curio 7x21. I just purchased a new one and the focusing knob was loose and laying in the box! I just returned the binoculars, but it concerned me because it looks like the focusing knob is just glued on. Pretty cheaply made IMO for a $900 binocular from Swarovski! I think Swarovski's quality control is starting to slip, as others have observed.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 232
  • download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Has anybody had trouble with the focusing knob coming off their Curio 7x21. I just purchased a new one and the focusing knob was loose and laying in the box! I just returned the binoculars, but it concerned me because it looks like the focusing knob is just glued on. Pretty cheaply made IMO for a $900 binocular from Swarovski! I think Swarovski's quality control is starting to slip, as others have observed.
It might be just me....but I find Swaro dropped the ball in the 'looks' department here..... They usually know how to put together a bin and make it look great but here....well.... ...well.....

By chance does anyone have a comparison size shot of the ultravid and the curio? Hoping to keep one of these in my flyfishing vest. Thanks.
Here:

and here:

Here:

and here:
Many thanks!

Did someone else have this problem with the Knob on the Curio 7X21?, the photos look eerily similar.

I contacted Swarovski, and they said they would reach out to Austria because the Curios were so new they were not that familiar with them at SONA. I wouldn't buy another one until I find out how the focus knob is attached. I tried to push it back on, but it wouldn't stay. Could it just be glued on? I purchased these on eBay from this same seller, except he was using stock photos of an Anthracite Curio 7x21 when I bought it and the pictures he is now using are the pictures I took to open the case to get a refund! He is not even saying the binoculars are broken in his description. Here are the pictures he had when I bought it.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 78
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    75 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Another scam, he likely knew about the issue. I am always apprehensive when a seller only posts stock pics of the actual item, unless I know them. I am sure he is going to get some questions about the focus knob, like why is it in two pieces.

Another scam, he likely knew about the issue. I am always apprehensive when a seller only posts stock pics of the actual item, unless I know them. I am sure he is going to get some questions about the focus knob, like why is it in two pieces.
I guess he is at least being honest using the actual pictures of the binoculars he is selling, but he still says nothing in the description about the focus knob. He probably figures whoever buys them can send them into Swarovski and get them fixed, when actually he should send them in, but that probably is too much hassle. It will be interesting to see what Swarovski in Austria says about the focus knob.

Last edited:
Has anyone tested the 7x21 Curio on the USAF Optical Chart, and/or compared them against any top tier binocular?

I really like the idea of the 7x21, but top quality resolution is at a premium for me, and it would take a lot to switch from my 8x20 UV's.

If I am considering an alternative to any current binocular I have I always compare them side-by-side on the USAF chart in a variety of lighting conditions over several days. It's quite revealing and removes a lot of the "subjective" nature of appraising a binocular.

The chart can be downloaded and printed here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back