• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Curio 7x21 versus Victory 8x25 and Ultravid 8x20 (1 Viewer)

The Curio is definitely growing on me more and more. It took me a little time to warm to them, in fact the first time I tried them in the store I dismissed them straight away. I'm so glad I gave them another try and eventually bought them.

At first I didn't think they were quite as sharp as the Victory and they seemed to have less 'pop' but they just took a bit more diopter fiddling to get right and a little more time to adjust to them.

I now think there is something quite special about the Curios view, I can't quite put my finger on exactly what though. The extra depth of field and steadiness of 7x really helps and you just don't expect such a bright, sharp, relaxed and effortless view from something so small.

For me the view is more immersive than the Victory. They are equal but really quite different from each other. I wouldn't want to go back to the Victory now though.
I can't share your view that the Curio has a more immersive image than the VP. I lived with the Curio for a few weeks before trying the VP, the reverse order that you have done. With the eye cups fully extended on the VP, perhaps the AFOV is cut off somewhat, but that shouldn't be the case when they are retracted for spectacle use. I would think, however, that the VPs AFOV of 60 and 8x magnification vs 51 and 7x for the Curio, should give the VP the edge in terms of immersiveness for most people.
Moreover, I would think Swarovski would have marketed the Curio as the 7x21 NL, had they thought, as you do, that it was so immersive.

What defines the NL series uniqueness, is its immersiveness (not to mention its special ergonomics) which can be measured by outstanding AFOV, which, sadly, the Curio lacks. What defines the Curio is its bright, clear sharp optics, minimalistic shirt pocket size with occulars that are big enough to effortlessly fit most peoples eyes, with or without glasses. The VP on the othet hand doesn’t favor some people without glasses, not to.mention it is a bit bigger.

Last edited:
I can't share your view that the Curio has a more immersive image than the VP. I lived with the Curio for a few weeks before trying the VP, the reverse order that you have done. With the eye cups fully extended on the VP, perhaps the AFOV is cut off somewhat, but that shouldn't be the case when they are retracted for spectacle use. I would think, however, that the VPs AFOV of 60 and 8x magnification vs 51 and 7x for the Curio, should give the VP the edge in terms of immersiveness for most people.
Moreover, I would think Swarovski would have marketed the Curio as the 7x21 NL, had they thought, as you do, that it was so immersive.

What defines the NL series uniqueness, is its immersiveness (not to mention its special ergonomics) which can be measured by outstanding AFOV, which, sadly, the Curio lacks. What defines the Curio is its bright, clear sharp iptics, minimalistic shirt pocket size with occulars that are big enough to efforatively fit most peoples eyes, with or without glasses. The VP on the othet hand doesn’t favor some people without glasses, not to.mention it is a bit bigger.
I could never quite see the whole view with glasses on with the Victory. Contrary to most I found the view much more immersive without glasses and could easily adjust to any blackouts, I must have an odd face shape. If I didn't need glasses I might well say I much prefer the Victory, trust me to be weird.

Anyway I'm certainly not arguing that the Curio is better than the Victory OR that it is more immersive, and by immersive I think I was also meaning the ability to relax and be engrossed in the view, regardless of its size. The steadiness and greater depth of field are a large part of that for me.

I'm tempted to say the Curio does have a more transparent and 'pure' view than the Victory . But to be honest I have zero technical knowledge on the subject and it's all so subjective and prone to my changing moods and whims it's probably just meaningless waffle anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back