• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lost Land of the Tiger-Tues 21/9/2020 21.00-22.00pm BBC1 Part 1/3 (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

There is a new 3 part series about Tigers in the Himilaya's with a few well know Wildlife presenters - George Buchanan, Steve Backshall and others.

21.00-22.00pm BBC1 Part 1/3 tonight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ty69k

There is a good write up in the Radio times worth reading too.

Take note:
The next part 2/3 is on Wednesday night 22/9/2010
Part 3/3 is on Thursday night 23/9/2010

So it will cover the next 3 nights at the same time. Worth a look into.

Regards
Kathy
x

I guess this will be the same as Lost Land of the Volcano? That was okay I guess, you know discovering new species but the program just seemed to be about Steve Backshall climbing things. The program was poor imo

Watched it anyway, and I was actually into it this time! more crew meant less air time for Steve I will most likely watch the other two!

Watched it anyway, and I was actually into it this time! more crew meant less air time for Steve I will most likely watch the other two!

I have to say that I really enjoyed the programme with all its good times and pitfalls. The sad moments where there for all to see too.

For anyone to sit in a make shift home high up in a tree with a vicious thunder and lightening storm along with hailstones goes without saying, and what a scary experience to go through!

Loved the additional other animals and the Pygmy Kingfisher was a beauty along with the other birds shown too. too many other creatures to mention.

I felt sorry for Alan who is very ill with luekenia (sp) - I feel for the guy!

Felt sorry for Gordon getting more and more breathless as he climbed to higher height to set up camera to check the whereabouts of the Tigers.

Great to see that all the hard work paid of, and the illusive Tiger has been found close to the camp.

Looking forward tomorrow for the next episode

Regards

Kathy

Hi there

I noticed that it is not shown in Scotland - should have said that.

Can anyone in Scotland use the BBC I-player link I have set up on my first post? Does it work at all?

Part 1 of this programme won't be shown in Scotland until Thursday of this week, at 9pm.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Last edited:
I enjoyed this program very much...

...and the highlights for me were:

clouded leopard....moon moth....and that incredible storm....:cat:

ps...oh...and the tigers were good too..!

pps...certain parts of the program naturally invoked high emotions....[i couldn't possibly say on here what i think about the people who consume 'tiger products']......this icon hardly covers it..:C

ppps...perhaps the best and funniest 'highlight' was seeing Gordons hair-do when he was talking to camera inside the dwelling of a yak herdsman...:eek!:

I enjoyed this program very much...

...and the highlights for me were:

clouded leopard....moon moth....and that incredible storm....:cat:

ps...oh...and the tigers were good too..!

pps...certain parts of the program naturally invoked high emotions....[i couldn't possibly say on here what i think about the people who consume 'tiger products']......this icon hardly covers it..:C

ppps...perhaps the best and funniest 'highlight' was seeing Gordons hair-do when he was talking to camera inside the dwelling of a yak herdsman...:eek!:

Hi username

I wondered about Gordons hair too. ;)

Does he have naturally curly hair or is it a perm? :gh:

Regards
Kathy

Hi username

Regards
Kathy

think he might have had a mishap with the lightningstorm .

what a job for that poor woman sitting in the top of the tallest tree about, right through a thuinderstorm.
she must have been terrified.

Hi username

Regards
Kathy

I guess only Gordon can answer that question Kathy....;)

I'll say one thing tho...his hair is a distraction...
...imagine David Attenborough if he was talking to camera whilst sporting a punk red mohican hair-do....:smoke:

ps...the trivia of appearances aside...i like the guys enthusiasm....[and i also admired Alan's determination greatly]....:t:

I guess only Gordon can answer that question Kathy....;)

I'll say one thing tho...his hair is a distraction...
...imagine David Attenborough if he was talking to camera whilst sporting a punk red mohican hair-do....:smoke:

ps...the trivia of appearances aside...i like the guys enthusiasm....[and i also admired Alan's determination greatly]....:t:

The thing that was going through my head was if thats his normal hair style he must use straightners. Soft lad.

Enjoyed this too. I thought Rabinowitz brought a good deal of credibility to what is otherwise, after all, essentially an exercise in entertainment. He's done a great deal of pioneering work on not just the techniques of photographing big cats with camera traps but interpreting the results (not just with Tgers, but Jaguars too).

James

I appreciated the apparent "realness" of the programme. Much as I love Beebs classics, they are so polished, you do get the impression that some of the shots are faked/created.

I'll never forget the outakes of David Attenborough and the Kakapo that kept getting up and legging it out of the faked habitat in a middle of a studio.

I noticed that it is not shown in Scotland - should have said that.

Can anyone in Scotland use the BBC I-player link I have set up on my first post? Does it work at all?

Part 1 of this programme won't be shown in Scotland until Thursday of this week, at 9pm.

It doesn't really matter that it isn't shown in Scotland till later as we can get all the English BBC regions on digital TV anyway (the analogue TV signal has now been switched off here). I presume the i-player will work too.

I've recorded the series on BBC HD where it was broadcast at the same time as English BBC1 and will catch up with it later (probably after it's been 'officially' broadcast in Scotland;)).

Remember when there were only three channels on the TV and if you missed a program it was too bad?!

I absolutely loved it, but many years a go i read Alan Rabinowitz' book 'Jaguar' and it remains one of my favourite books, an amazing tale of one mans struggle against the tide of development in Belize and the plight of that particular enigmatic big cat - I loved it so much that when Alan gave a talk at Chester Zoo to co-incide with the new jaguar enclosure, I bought it again to get him to sign it!

I think that Steve has taken over what Alan would have done, pre-illness and now takes on the extremes of terrain that these big cats inhabit, it would be a shame if this passionate work is not taken forward when the inevitable happens.

Tonights episode was Okay, not as good as last nights but its good to hear a population of tigers! and a leopard cat woot that was amazing

Tonights episode was Okay, not as good as last nights but its good to hear a population of tigers! and a leopard cat woot that was amazing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00ty6bd/Lost_Land_of_the_Tiger_Episode_2/

True it was a bit lacking tonight, though the canoeing through the rapids was a little hair raising and that was a little on the edge of the seat stuff going on

As for those leeches yuk yuk yuk!!!! shudder...... :eek!: the way they attacked human flesh. Poor George :eek!:

Great news about the tigers and they seen to be quite stable to a point and it will be good if there is enough information to protect the species now.

Cannot wait until the last episode and see what the results are

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Thought the fist episode was excellent and was really looking forward to the second. Unfortunately was left feeling a little disappointed. Thought there was a lot of padding. Really good news re the critters in there though and some good footage.

Frank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back