• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lost Land of the Tiger-Tues 21/9/2020 21.00-22.00pm BBC1 Part 1/3 (1 Viewer)

Am I alone in thinking this program is aimed at people with a very short attention span? How many times do we need to be reminded of things? The map of the proposed 'Tiger corridor' keeps cropping up every 5 minutes - as if we might have forgotten what it's all about!
Some fascinating stuff, some serious conservation messages and some more great BBC filming made a little bit stale by all the repetition and 'padding'. I think they could have shown more of the other wildlife that goes to make up the 'intact, pristine forest' which a healthy tiger population needs.

Just my opinion of course
Nick

I agree it's a bit repetitive and they could have included more of the other wildlife to pad it out rather than that ridiculous shouty Steve bloke and his canoeing adventure. Can you imagine trying to watch wildlife with shouty bloke around? You'd have to kill him.

I agree it's a bit repetitive and they could have included more of the other wildlife to pad it out rather than that ridiculous shouty Steve bloke and his canoeing adventure. Can you imagine trying to watch wildlife with shouty bloke around? You'd have to kill him.

Hi Claire

I have to say Steve is rather a shouty fellow. I have just seen him on another nature programme this afternoon called Deadly 60 (cBBc for kids) 4.30-5.00pm, and he is a little over-excitable at times.

Just very keen on his subject - me thinks!!

Regards
Kathy
x

Tonight's episode was good! Loved it how Gordons hard work was paid off, It would have been the best episode if it wasn't for Steve walking around in the dark like a tit.

Does anyone else think Justine should have gone up there? She would have most probably got footage of the snow leopard. I mean c'mon Steve when up there with a handy cam

I want George McGavin to get his own series! Digging into the poo to reveal a massive dung beetle! And yes the moon moth was fantastic. Just film it on level ground and he'll be fine - he's dangerous on inclines! :)

I want George McGavin to get his own series! Digging into the poo to reveal a massive dung beetle! And yes the moon moth was fantastic. Just film it on level ground and he'll be fine - he's dangerous on inclines! :)

Agree that george is a fantastic chap.
Some criticism of Steve above but his walk back to the 'camp' from his vigil by the Yak carcass showed he was clearly fearful. If it were me i think I might have had to have changed my trousers on arriving back at my tent, then finding out that the snow leaopard was, at one time, possibly just 5 metres away might have made me change them again. However captivating as that was in most cases or scariness there was often at least a camaraman in attendance and therefore presumably someone else with a gun. Steve backshall's walk back to the tent was captivating enough to make me forget wither he was actually on his own then or he might have had a camaraman with him but i think not.

Does anyone know what the last bird seen was - little nearly black job with a rufous tail that bobbed up and down, something like a cross between a dipper and a wagtail.

I hope George's presentation was taken seriously and the Bhutan's prime minister's 'speech' was not just for show for the camaras / programme

I agree, there's an awful lot of padding in these shows nowadays. I also think that many wildlife programmes are now actually about the 'personalities' behind the lens or in the field than actually about the wildlife.

Stunning scenery and wildlife nevertheless. I hope tigers can be saved in the wild.

Am I alone in thinking this program is aimed at people with a very short attention span? How many times do we need to be reminded of things? The map of the proposed 'Tiger corridor' keeps cropping up every 5 minutes - as if we might have forgotten what it's all about!
Some fascinating stuff, some serious conservation messages and some more great BBC filming made a little bit stale by all the repetition and 'padding'. I think they could have shown more of the other wildlife that goes to make up the 'intact, pristine forest' which a healthy tiger population needs.

Just my opinion of course
Nick

Whilst it is an enjoyable series, it is nevertheless typical BBC pap in places. Gavin and Gordon are fantastic - not excitable, very authoritative and know when to shut up. Steve Backshall is apparently there to provide a somewhat bemusing action element to the programme - he's clearly a nice chap but why on Earth we need death-defying stunts etc is beyond me. Can't we let the wildlife speak for itself? Does kayaking along a raging torrent actually bring anything to the subject? No.

It's all a bit desperate from the BBC I'm afraid - everything has to be BRILLIANT!!!, AWESOME!!!, AMAZING!!!, MASSIVE!!!! apparently - just like Springwatch. What are we going to do when Mr. Attenborough finally hangs up his boots? The BBC does it best when it simply shows the wildlife doing what it does naturally, with no excitable presenters spoling it all (Kate Humble...) - we don't need added pap thanks. Rant over.

Some criticism of Steve above but his walk back to the 'camp' from his vigil by the Yak carcass showed he was clearly fearful. If it were me i think I might have had to have changed my trousers on arriving back at my tent, then finding out that the snow leaopard was, at one time, possibly just 5 metres away might have made me change them again. However captivating as that was in most cases or scariness there was often at least a camaraman in attendance and therefore presumably someone else with a gun. Steve backshall's walk back to the tent was captivating enough to make me forget wither he was actually on his own then or he might have had a camaraman with him but i think not.

The Snow Leopard has never been documented as killing a human so they are less of a threat than other felines, I would have assumed Steve was aware of this.

I'd be more worried about wandering around in the forest at night looking for evidence of Tiger, I didn't see Gordon looking particularly nervous in a likely more dangerous situation.

The Snow Leopard has never been documented as killing a human so they are less of a threat than other felines, I would have assumed Steve was aware of this.

I'd be more worried about wandering around in the forest at night looking for evidence of Tiger, I didn't see Gordon looking particularly nervous in a likely more dangerous situation.

Its all very well knowing these things intellectually, its a lot different out on the ground, especially in the dark - no street lights in the Himalaya. I would have been left with enough bricks to build a house.

I don't think Gordon does nervous, unless its about not getting the shot! Top bloke, especially daring to expose his weird hair on TV.

I thoroughly enjoyed all three programmes, including the adventure bits - its nice to see what some of these guys go through to get the stuff to us, and there's no comparison with Springwatch, this kicked seven bells out of it on every level.

John

Its all very well knowing these things intellectually, its a lot different out on the ground, especially in the dark - no street lights in the Himalaya. I would have been left with enough bricks to build a house.

I don't think Gordon does nervous, unless its about not getting the shot! Top bloke, especially daring to expose his weird hair on TV.

I thoroughly enjoyed all three programmes, including the adventure bits - its nice to see what some of these guys go through to get the stuff to us, and there's no comparison with Springwatch, this kicked seven bells out of it on every level.

John

I thought that the bit where Steve got lost in the dark was hilarious...especially when he finally got back to camp and said something like.."there's the toilet tent"...and i was thinking...you don't need the toilet tent now Steve..it seems as tho you've already s*** yourself...:smoke: ;)

I think Gordon is a top bloke too....despite me mocking his hair-do...and it does make compulsive viewing...even tho he reminds me of Harpo Marx..:eek!:

Some great footage of the various mammals in last episode....[episode two was a definite 'padder'].....

I am aware of that John and often scared myself ******** looking for cats at night, out on the ground as it were. Thought in this situation, slightly exaggerated for TV perhaps ;)

Some great footage of cats throughout however and a potential feline festival for anyone wishing to try similar in what seems to be a relatively unknown side to Bhutan.

An interesting programme but it lacked consistency to me. Gordon was as ever brilliant and it was his presentations that made a possible mediocre programme into a watcheable one. Steve it seems couldn't make up his mind whether he was presenting to adults or children and I thought his getting lost in the dark scenario a bit staged just to add a bit of daring do to the adventure. If he was really lost I'm sure the Beeb would not have shown it. It would take up too much time,risk and expense. Keep the wow factor with CBBC's Steve.
That said ,some great scenery, great wildlife and a satisfactory conclusion with the tiger sightings. Long may they live.

Si.

Enjoyed the programme and thought they managed to 'claw' things back with last nights (concluding) episode. Bhutan looks great and the footage of cats was exciting stuff. Still feel they missed a trick overall though and the editors might need a rethink for next time. e.g why waste time with overkill on explanations for those that hadn't seen earlier episodes including massive overkill during epi 2; also a bit too much emphasis on some of the main characters. For me they should have substituted some of this with shots of birds, insects, flowers etc. This would also have helped 'draw' the viewer further into the atmosphere of the place. It was good but they didn't get the balance right. Missed opportunity.

I've just finished watching these programmes last night.

I thoroughly enjoyed the programmes in terms of what they were highlighting, plus some of the photography was excellent.

However, like many programmes, the editing was terrible, and especially in the second programme, the recapping of what had come before was really overdone, it must have taken up about 15 minutes of the programme. They could have brought the programme down to 2 episodes and still shown everything they did.

I've nothing against seeing the people in front of the cameras, for many programmes this works really well and is all part of trying to get a feel for what it's like to be there trying to film the animals.

But again, it's the editing that spoiled it - switching focus every five minutes did nothing for the programme, maybe it could have been done with a programme focussing on one of the presenters at a time - Gordon getting high into the mountains and giving it a thorough exploration of the animals found en route; George exploring the insect life around camp and the surrounding area, and perhaps working with Alan to build the case of evidence to present to the King.

Steve Backshall annoys me - he looks like a really pleasant guy, but I often wonder why he takes on the "action" elements as I always feel he's a bit out of his depth - in past programmes we've watched him climb up a cliff and spent the whole time moaning about how it's too difficult for him. The only parts that he featured in this series that were interesting were when he was talking to the local people.

I also don't believe that he was out on his own with a Snow Leopard so close to him - his excuse for leaving the rock he was hiding under was that it was getting too cold, and then there was no footage of the animal at all.

Re. the camera traps - do they make a noise or does the red light stay on while filming? The reason I ask is that so many of the animals came over to investigate them.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back