• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lost Land of the Tiger-Tues 21/9/2020 21.00-22.00pm BBC1 Part 1/3 (1 Viewer)

I want George McGavin to get his own series! Digging into the poo to reveal a massive dung beetle! And yes the moon moth was fantastic. Just film it on level ground and he'll be fine - he's dangerous on inclines! :)

George is doing a series of talks around the country (I'm going to Taunton to see him). Dates here.

Ken

Thought episodes one and three were great, highly enjoyed them. Two not so good.

That guy George (the older man with the beard?) ... obviously very clever and knowledgable but did he have to keep crying and also falling down slopes etc. in a comedy fashion? Suppose just doing for the cameras but I think a bit daft.

On a general note, with BBC wildlife shows now, I'm never sure how much of the wildlife and presenter's emotions etc. is staged and that detracts from the programmes a bit for me.

If they have an auction type thing for Autumnwatch like they did for Springy then I might be severely temtpted to offer a donation of £50 or so on the condition that Gordon gets a ruddy haircut! Now I know I'm not one to criticise in the hair department but his does just look plain stupid!

I agree with all the other points that have been made, the repetitious re-capping was absolutely infuriating. At least the personalities we have on these shows aren't as cringeworthy as some of the other BBC Natural History presenters. I don't think I need to name names there. Without wisihing to turn this into another whose a good presenter/ whose a bad presenter thread there has been a number of names that have fallen by the wayside who did a decent job, Steve Leonard as an example. I wonder why? Was he just not 'showbiz' enough?

One of the most amazing things on the progs I think was the fact that our very own Red Fox that we have here in this country is also living right up in the top of the Himalayas. Who'd have thunk it! And the footage of that Snow Leopard cub was also phenomanal.

However I have some big concerns over the release of this programme. Hasn't this now painted a gigantic bullseye on Bhutan for poachers to start having a go there? Surely a lot less risky than having a go at tigers on a reserve where they are constantly monitored and protected by armed guards and I'm sure they can slip in an out of the country unimpeded if they so wish seeing as how remote it is. I may be wrong there and it's remoteness is it's greatest defence, god I hope so.

Also, the idea of creating this tiger corridor does maybe secure the future for wild Tigers for the next 100-200yrs, if it becomes a reality, yet it seems to be also suggesting that the Indian populations (as well as other isolated groups away from the Himalayas) are a write-off. Lastly, if all this idea works won't it just be a matter of time before all the other tiger populations are a memory and the poachers simply move into the foothills of the Himalayas and we are back to sqaure one in a sense. Unless the market for tigers' body parts can be brought down completely (HIGHLY unlikely sadly) I can't see that they'll ever ultimately have a secure future.

To balance all that out with a positive I suppose that if we can secure the species for the foreseeable future then we can move efforts to tackling the real threat to their survival. Makes me sadder still though to think that although we despise poachers for killing what few remain it was white hunters from Britain and elsewhere that did the most damage to their population in the first half of the last century. I would shudder if anyone ever gave me the actual figures as to how many died then.

That's everything I think I wanted to get off my chest. :t:

The recapping is almost certainly a consequence of having to fund the programme by involving foreign TV stations, and therefore making it for markets with ad breaks every five seconds. I'm afraid you will just have to put up with it to get the programmes made.

Perhaps we need to devise the perfect team and let the Beeb know?

Gordon Buchanan (with a haircut)
George McGavin
Steve Leonard
Nick Baker

Oh dear - no marks for equality and diversity - sorry!

John

I caught this by accident last Thursday, which was episode 1, as I'm in Scotland. However, I can't find a listing for episodes 2 and 3 in Scotland? Have I missed them? I appreciate they are on iPlayer, but 40" is better than 19":t:

I caught this by accident last Thursday, which was episode 1, as I'm in Scotland. However, I can't find a listing for episodes 2 and 3 in Scotland? Have I missed them? I appreciate they are on iPlayer, but 40" is better than 19":t:

They were on 3 nights in a row, so it may be you've missed episodes 2 and 3 if you had assumed they were on weekly.

I've got Sky, but I watched it on the BBC HD channel.

Evidently Steve Backsahall was at Martin Mere yday and may be for a couple more days to come. Perhaps I can let him know what we all think of Gordon's questionable hair-do. ;)

The recapping is almost certainly a consequence of having to fund the programme by involving foreign TV stations, and therefore making it for markets with ad breaks every five seconds. I'm afraid you will just have to put up with it to get the programmes made.

Perhaps we need to devise the perfect team and let the Beeb know?

Gordon Buchanan (with a haircut)
George McGavin
Steve Leonard
Nick Baker

Oh dear - no marks for equality and diversity - sorry!

John

Iolo Williams should be on that list.

Neil.

I have to say I thought this show was one of the best I've seen in recent years. Yes it was about the personalities but I think you have to accept the show focuses on a quest and that quest relates to both the people undertaking it and the animals the subject of it.

The results they actually got on the show were absolutely remarkable all things considered and I'd have thought this show/expedition could (and presumably will/has) lead to some decent scientific documentation.

As for Steve crapping himself about the snow leopard I don't blame him! the lack of documented attacks is not really surprising considering how rare they are, how few humans they come in to contact with and those human's lack of documentary tradition - big cats in the dark are a scary prospect regardless of the documented risk.

They were on 3 nights in a row, so it may be you've missed episodes 2 and 3 if you had assumed they were on weekly.

I checked the listings for the Friday and Saturday after the Thursday airing, but no sign of it. I've been checking BBC1 and BBC2 listings every night, but no joy.:C

I checked the listings for the Friday and Saturday after the Thursday airing, but no sign of it. I've been checking BBC1 and BBC2 listings every night, but no joy.:C

Thursday was episode 3. They ran Tues, Weds, Thurs. You'll have to catch them on Iplayer but hurry cos they won't be there for much longer.

Thursday was episode 3.

In Scotland episode 1 was on the Thursday. Its BBC Scotland that have messed up with all of this.

From the BBC's webpages:

Episode 1:
1.Tue 21 Sep 2010 21:00 BBC One (except Scotland)
2.Tue 21 Sep 2010 21:00 BBC HD
3.Wed 22 Sep 2010 01:00 BBC HD
4.Thu 23 Sep 2010 21:00 BBC One (Scotland only)
5.Sun 26 Sep 2010 17:30 BBC HD
6.Sun 26 Sep 2010 23:00 BBC HD
7.Sun 10 Oct 2010 17:05 BBC One

Episode 2:

1.Wed 22 Sep 2010 21:00 BBC One (except Scotland)
2.Wed 22 Sep 2010 21:00 BBC HD
3.Thu 23 Sep 2010 01:00 BBC HD
4. Sun 3 Oct 2010 17:30 BBC HD
5. Mon 4 Oct 2010 01:00 BBC HD

Last edited:
Just seen a trailer. Looks like they're definitely showing episode 1 again, on Sunday 10th Oct. Presumably episode 2 and 3 will follow.

I'm surprised no-one else on birdforum seems to be lusting after a Bushnell Trophy Cam after watching this program! They cost around £200.

I suppose they might be risky to use in densely populated areas (theft/vandalism etc.) and it could be difficult to get landowner's permission in some areas. But.... I live in a not very densely populated area.... and I have access to large areas of local woodland..... and I have a landmark birthday coming up in the next few months.... Hmmm - I feel a plan coming together! OK, so tigers aren't too likely, but badgers, foxes and pine martens are possible.

I see the Part 1 of 3 is on BBC1 at 5.05-6-05pm 10/10/2010 today once more

That us for anyone who has not seen the programme ;)

Regards
Kathy
x

Just watched it this evening for the first time. I really enjoyed it.. the array of wildlife showed was stunning, but those Clouded Leopards were something else! Absolute beauties. As for those shots of the gutted tigers- wouldn't it be great to get the hunter, put them in a cage with a tiger, without a gun, and see who comes out on top?

The series was excellent. I am glad Tigers live that high up. I am not sure how much of a success any Himalayan corridor could be in the long run. If global warming is true then the rapidly increasing population will just spread into the foothills.

Excellent series - incidentally if anyone missed it, I managed to find it on youtube (in 15minutes sections) after missing it on iplayer.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back