• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LPN Centre, Castro Verde, Baixo Alentejo (1 Viewer)

aythya_hybrid

real name Jonathan Dean
Dear all.

Today en route from the Algarve back to Lisbon I popped to the LPN Centre - the Centro de Educação Ambiental Vale Gonçalinho - about 7km north of Castro Verde. This was my second visit (my first was in 2013) and again I was struck by the relative ease with which one can see the key specialities of the region. However, I had two minor practical difficulties. First, there no longer appears to be a way to get onto the minor road that runs parallel to the main Castro Verde-Beja highway from the highway itself (as was the case before). You either have to go into Castro Verde itself and then take a minor road to the north, or you need to travel north to Entradas and do a U-turn to head south. Either way, the centre is still clearly signposted off the minor road that runs parallel to the main road.

Second, again I got a bit lost on the footpaths: it's not always clear which paths are farm tracks, and which form part of the official LPN-sanctioned walking route. Indeed I fear I may off inadvertently strayed "off-piste".

The good news though is that the birding is awesome. A short report follows.

One the approach I saw one Iberian Grey Shrike, 2 Montagu’s Harrier, 2 Black Kite and one Peregrine.

From the centre I walked along the paths south-east of the centre, I saw:
c5 Montagu’s Harriers; Also lots of Crested/Thekla Lark types, although I only managed one slam-dunk Thekla Lark, Also loads of Corn Bunting, Spotless Starling and Zitting Cisticola, a few cattle Egret, and good numbers of Lesser Kestrels (probably 50+) were present and correct in the various farm buildings.

As the evening progressed lots of Calandra Larks started appearing: not sure what the total was but I would guess at least 40. On a path south of the farmhouse I flushed first one then two female Great Bustards right by the track, offering excellent views. During the bit where I think I “overshot” I heard 2 calling Little Bustards. Walking towards the farmhouse I saw 4 Little Bustards in flight, as well as more Calandra Larks. From the farmhouse I saw 3 lovely male Great Bustards in the field east of the farmhouse. In the same field 2 Little Bustards were calling, with Calandra Lark, Lesser Kestrel and Montagu’s Harrier in the same area. One distant Little Bustard in flight brought the total up to 9, with 5 Great Bustards.

From the farmhouse I walked back to the centre past the eucalyptus trees which yielded excellent views of a Roller, only the second one I’ve seen in Portugal. Also several Bee-eater and at least 3 Hoopoe. So overall really good: dipped BB Sandgrouse which I had seen on my previous visit in 2013.

One the way home I had a Black-shouldered Kite briefly to the right of the main road a few kms north of the Castro Verde.

Some bad pics attached.

Attachments

• DSCN8998.jpg
    DSCN8998.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN9015.jpg
    DSCN9015.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 87
I'm glad you went there John, nice!

This is a great option for visitors to the 800 sq kms of SPA Castro Verde - I always recommend it. I must have been 100s of times.

Its worth entering the building, there are display panels, bird maps and trinkets - also a dontaion box (;)). (centre is closed on Mondays) You will find the staff charming and helpful - all speaking excellent English. For others interested, some of the staff of the LPN here offer guiding in the wider area.

I would only access the centre from Castro Verde - by the fire station roundabout - look for brown sign saying "Centro de Educação Ambiental Vale Goncalinho". Follow this little road and it will take you straight there - it also means you can stop along the way, which you cannot on the main highway. After around 5kms there is a right turn - very well signposted and with a giant Great Bustard statue! - Be careful entering/leaving from Entadas village as there is a very deep ford - sometimes too deep for a 4x4.

If you crossed no signs saying "privado" or similar, left gates as you found them and you stayed on tracks you did nothing that's not allowed ;)

Both Thekla and Crested Lark are over the whole area - so somethimes it can be tough without good views.

There will be 2-4 pairs of Roller on the LPN's land here inc. a pair that usually nest on the actual building of the centre. The others tend to nest on the purpose built Lesser Kestrel breeding walls. They have only just arrived so you would probably have seen more of them a little later.

Worth noting that in 2006 (IIRC) Little Bustard was surveyed in the SPA and a little over 5,000 calling males were counted (!), making it the highest recorded density known for the species.

Also, the population of Great Bustard is well over 1,000 birds.

Although all the larger raptors (Golden, Spanish Imperial, Booted, Short-toed and Bonelli's, Black and Griffon Vultures) are regularly seen from the centre more success can be had further east of here and into the neighbouring SPA (and Natural Park) Vale de Guadiana.

Last edited:
Thanks Simon for your characteristically informative and enthusiastic response.

From the centre I walked south-east along a track but I think I missed the left turn north towards the old farm buildings, which means I overshot and ended up approaching a further set of farm buildings further to the south-east. I then walked back and turned right onto a relatively inconspicuous track which, fortunately, did lead up to the old farm buildings, where I saw the Great Bustards (and from where I saw BB Sandgrouse in 2013).

Thanks for the info re the access roads: we ended up going via Entradas but then came back through Castro Verde. The route by Entradas was passable although my mother-in-law expressed some concern!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back