• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"made in ..." same as "assembled in ..." ? (1 Viewer)

Ted Y.

Forum member
Canada
It seems so.
The binocular is labeled Made in Japan and the manufacturer answered it is being assembled in Japan. Maybe not all parts inside the binocular are produced in Japan.
For me this is a confirmation of this "new" reality. I am not suggesting is good or bad, just it is.
For me the QC is important, for each element and for the assembly.

1657089335997.png

Last edited:
There's nothing particularly new about this. Most products of any real complexity contain parts with varying origins. Whether the final product gets labeled "produced in," "made in," or "assembled in" depends on legal regulation of those definitions, sometimes in the country where the product goes through final assembly, and sometimes in the country where the product is sold, and sometimes both.

It is no secret that a lot of binoculars are labelled as made in or assembled in one country but the vast majority of the production occurs in another. It's just the way it is, and it's up to each person to stick their head in the sand, to shout into the wind, or to realize that this has been going on for a long time and will continue to go on.

What matters, really, is the quality of the product and the quality of the warranty and after-sales service.

This is not a simple topic. See the link to the WTO.

In some areas there are also export regulations regarding potential re-use of a commercial products for military use. However, optics like normal bins, this is probably unlikely to apply.

Where parts are made and assembled is more of a trade protection issue than a quality concern ....... A factory can be setup anywhere and is often dictated by cash, grants, labour costs, politics, etc.

It seems so.
The binocular is labeled Made in Japan and the manufacturer answered it is being assembled in Japan. Maybe not all parts inside the binocular are produced in Japan.
For me this is a confirmation of this "new" reality. I am not suggesting is good or bad, just it is.
For me the QC is important, for each element and for the assembly.

View attachment 1456235
There are not now, nor has been, any CONSUMER binoculars MADE in the United States since the surplus created around WWII was depleted. Even when Bausch & Lomb was the big dog in AMERICAN binoculars, much of their inventory came from Zeiss. I have said this a number of times and often I will see where someone disputes my claim with their "What about the military this" or "the Army that" ? In both of those cases, the number are very small. Also, I said, CONSUMER; not military or Army.

Last edited:
There are not now, nor has been, any CONSUMER binoculars MADE in the United States since the surplus created around WWII was depleted. Even when Bausch & Lomb was the big dog in AMERICAN binoculars, much of their inventory came from Zeiss. I have said this a number of times and often I will see where someone disputes my claim with their "What about the military this" or "the Army that" ? In both of those cases, the number are very small. Also, I said, CONSUMER; not military or Army.
I thought Leupold manufactured their Gold Ring binoculars in the US in the early 1990's ???

I think that if one shipped a box full of parts to Japan, and a finished item, ready for sale emerged, I personally think it would be rather brazen to label that item “Made in Japan”.

Once again, Yust my opinion, unsupported by any evidence or logical argument whatsoever.

I think that if one shipped a box full of parts to Japan, and a finished item, ready for sale emerged, I personally think it would be rather brazen to label that item “Made in Japan”.

Once again, Yust my opinion, unsupported by any evidence or logical argument whatsoever.
Pretty much what happens with most cars these days…

We have certainly done that in the USA for many decades. and in a wide range of products.

I thought Leupold manufactured their Gold Ring binoculars in the US in the early 1990's ???
So did a lot of other people. However, that is not the case. That’s an urban myth.

For a time, Leupold assembled two pocket models. When I got to the point that I couldn’t stand the bull anymore, I offered people $50 a share with me the facts that would lead them to that inclusion. I got photos of women wiping lenses off Leupold rifle scopes, but after two or three weeks I still had my $50 and the bull died down, for a short time!

I have been a big fan of Leupold scopes most of my life, and it appears they most definitely made Gold Ring binos in Beaverton, Oregon starting in 1992 I'm not trying to re-write facts, or history, or get into a debate. Any google search will bring up numerous discussions of Leupolds history.
Or is all of this fake news?

Since it seems to me that we are using the woods “made” and “assembled” interchangeably, this discussion is likely to go the way of all similar discussions.

I have been a big fan of Leupold scopes most of my life, and it appears they most definitely made Gold Ring binos in Beaverton, Oregon starting in 1992 I'm not trying to re-write facts, or history, or get into a debate. Any google search will bring up numerous discussions of Leupolds history.
Or is all of this fake news?
If your Google search is able to trump me as the largest dealer of quality binoculars north of Los Angeles, having been in their plant a number of times, and having their rep call on me at Captains nautical supplies, I will be most grateful. That way I can take my hat off to Google. For getting people to believe that which is not true now and has never been true according to their rep.

One of the first discussions I was ever in on bird forum concerned this very topic until it was a dead horse that I continued to beat until he came back alive and then killed him again.

I am certainly not a rich fellow. However, I offer you the same $50 for the proof. And I think many people on this forum will back me up when I say that I don’t think googling anything produces anything close to proof!

I don’t have a pony in this show. I just stand firm against what I know to be wrong and which drags my neighbors down non—productive roads.

If I seem overly resolute, please try to understand my motives are honorable.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the rules for wristwatches and binoculars "Made in Japan" are similar. But for wristwatches, putting Made in Japan on the dial was mostly a question of the regulations in the importing countries and not really about place of origin. For example there are a number of Seiko models that come with or without "MiJ" and are all made with "Made in China" cases and Japanese movements.
In Germany "Made in Germany" only requires that more than 60 % of generated value happens in Germany. None of the parts have to be made in Germany. Similar with watches that are "Swiss Made". Only the movement has to be Swiss and a certain amount of "generated value" has to happen in the country. Probably similar rules apply to binos.
Edit: I know, Bill always forgets about Fraser which are made in the US, although they don't make their own lenses. This topic has come up a few times before.

For me, while it is nice to support local jobs, quality is my prime concern.

My piano: 'Bluthner' 'Made in Leipzig/Germany' says the metal inlay. Well legally yes, but you might also call it made of stardust.
The parts are from all over the world, Australasia, Far East, Italy, Czech/Slovakia. None of the raw materials (woods, metals, felts) as far as I know originate in Germany; they are the best sourced, then imported, some parts made, all assembled; and most importantly finished by artisans in Germany.

That's why I have more Leica bins than others, I'm happy with the quality wherever they are made.

The rest is politics

Last edited:
For me, while it is nice to support local jobs, quality is my prime concern.
I shut my mouth because this is the binocular section of birdforum and -thank God- not a political debate forum ;).
For me though i try to buy as much as possible local products....just my opinion.

Last edited:
My piano: 'Bluthner' 'Made in Leipzig/Germany' says the metal inlay. and most importantly finished by artisans in Germany.
A nice example! Your instrument is really "Made in Germany".;)

The same applies to the construction of many high-quality guitars, canadian cedar for the top, rosewood from east india or brazil for the back and sides, assembled by ramirez in spain, performance and precision is provided by the master luthier, so a spanish guitar.

For me, it is crucial where the delivered parts are assembled and where the quality control ultimately takes place, there is practically hardly anything anymore that comes exclusively from one country and is then assembled there.

Andreas

A nice example! Your instrument is really "Made in Germany".;)
Andreas
Well yes 😉 , except the iron frame that holds the whole piano instrument together under great tension, which was made in foundries across the Czech border.
Not that it affects the sound, and, Bluthner are straightforward when questions are asked; highly important to me as their customer.

Still, it's akin to me saying I'm made in England, when my skeleton actually came from Norway 😁

Of course I agree that Googling a thing doesn't make it true, but Leupold does assert the following on their website:

GOLDEN RING BINOCULARS

For the first time in more than 20 years, Leupold binoculars are manufactured in the United States​

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back