• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"made in ..." same as "assembled in ..." ? (1 Viewer)

Some years ago the regular meeting of the Binocular Histry Society was organised in Portland, very close to Leupold. Jan van Daalen and myself went to the meeting and we wanted to visit Leupold to see their binocular production facility. The message we received form Leupold was, that the company did not make any binoculars, so there was nothing to see.
Gijs van Ginkel
Hi Gijs,

What year did this happen? It's clear Leupold doesn't currently make their binoculars. But, the question is did they make the Gold Ring binos beginning in 1992 for a period of time. I wonder if they manufactured them for a short period of time (a few years?) and then hired Japanese OEM to build it after it became too expensive to continue. They do have a manufacturing plant and make the rifle scopes there, so it's not unreasonable to accept their claim in the old literature that the GR binocular was made by them.

There's been a lot of discussion over the years about where certain binoculars are made and whether to believe what is stamped on the binocular itself. It's been the same few models that keep coming up in conversation; Conquest HD, Trinovid HD, old Leupold Gold Ring.
At this point I don't know what to believe. I have to revert back to my simple-minded self when I first got into birding and became interested in binoculars; I'll have to simply accept what is stamped on the binocular. If Conquest says 'made in Germany' and Trinovid HD says 'made in Portugal' so be it. Maybe they're just partly assembled in Europe and not fully manufactured ... who knows ... there's no way the manufacturers will let us know the full process anyway.

... who knows ... there's no way the manufacturers will let us know the full process anyway.
If they are European, then they should comply with the regulations I posted above.

They shouldn't make false claims today.

However, like Dyson, they could design in one country and offload manufacturing to other countries.
If that is the case with binoculars, as is likely.......why do you care where the parts and assembly is undertaken?

If they are European, then they should comply with the regulations I posted above.

They shouldn't make false claims today.

However, like Dyson, they could design in one country and offload manufacturing to other countries.
If that is the case with binoculars, as is likely.......why do you care where the parts and assembly is undertaken?
I know the binos mentioned are very well made and are high quality, so ultimately I don't care too much how they're produced.

At this point I don't know what to believe. I have to revert back to my simple-minded self when I first got into birding and became interested in binoculars; I'll have to simply accept what is stamped on the binocular. If Conquest says 'made in Germany' and Trinovid HD says 'made in Portugal' so be it. Maybe they're just partly assembled in Europe and not fully manufactured ... who knows ... there's no way the manufacturers will let us know the full process anyway.
Precisely my thoughts.

And I wonder where these Leupold Gold Rings were made? Seems to be marked "Made in Oregon" Guess they couldn't spell Japan or China.
And although Google tells me the earth is round - who in there right mind would believe something they read on google?

Tom

Last edited:
Bill, I simply copied-and-pasted what's on Leupold's website, which I also linked in my post. Since you took the time to respond to me so pointedly, however:

So Matt the customer service rep told you “We don’t currently make binoculars in this facility.” ? The Leupold website I linked refers to the domestic manufacture of binoculars in 1992, not now.

So Matt "nebulously mentioned the early 90s"? Well, did he happen to mention they used to manufacture binoculars stateside in the early 90's or what?

So you asked Matt, who probably wasn't born yet in 1992, if the 2 pocket models your rep told you about were assembled around that time and he said "Probably"? I've read the BF thread about this same issue from 2014 and I know that the words "assembled" and "manufactured" are sticking points for you, but probably not for Matt, right? So I wonder if you'd said "manufactured" instead of "assembled", would he have given you exactly the same non-committal answer?

But seriously, he's a customer service rep, Bill - I really wouldn't expect the man to know the details of product lines from the early 90's, nor would I hold out his answer "Probably" to mean much. On the other hand did he not tell you, in essence, that they probably made binoculars in Beaverton in the early 1990's? I just don't get where you're coming from but the website is pretty clear, and corroborates what Matt apparently told you:

GOLDEN RING BINOCULARS

For the first time in more than 20 years, Leupold binoculars are manufactured in the United States​

<insert ancient philosopher quote here>

I don't necessarily disagree with you, Bill - I just read your typically combative remarks, then looked at Leupold's website and copied what is there in black-and-white. I think you should consider too that what your rep told you back when you were the "largest dealer of quality binoculars north of Los Angeles" doesn't amount to proof of anything either. Curious, do you recall what year it was that the rep told you that?

I'll tell you what I would like to see, something more than hearsay - is if anyone has a pair of 1992 vintage Gold Rings that say "Made in USA" on them? I think if they were out there, we'd have already seen them.

-Gene
After I read Bills reply, the same thoughts you posted went thru my mind as well. I posted 2 ebay auctions where the binos clearly say "made in Oregon" and are from the same series - a 10x40 and 12x50 with the odd bridge and focuser which kinda look like might have had some pedigree from their 1986 design of their handheld spotter.
Wonder if Bill is willing to cough up the $50 reward, or are we going to have to read thru more bluster and blather?
Tom

After I read Bills reply, the same thoughts you posted went thru my mind as well. I posted 2 ebay auctions where the binos clearly say "made in Oregon" and are from the same series - a 10x40 and 12x50 with the odd bridge and focuser which kinda look like might have had some pedigree from their 1986 design of their handheld spotter.
Wonder if Bill is willing to cough up the $50 reward, or are we going to have to read thru more bluster and blather?
Tom
What you gonna do with the the $50 reward ;)(y)?

Marketing departments would put “Made on Mars” on their products if they thought it would increase sales.

Most of the laws regarding such labeling are so full of weasel words as to be virtually worthless.

It never ceases to amaze me how the same words or phrases evoke such divergent interpretations and meanings, which at times can even be diametric opposites.

Yust my opinion, as usual.

Marketing departments would put “Made on Mars” on their products if they thought it would increase sales.

Most of the laws regarding such labeling are so full of weasel words as to be virtually worthless.

It never ceases to amaze me how the same words or phrases evoke such divergent interpretations and meanings, which at times can even be diametric opposites.

Yust my opinion, as usual.

A binocular is labeled 'Made in China'. The documents mention the country of origin as Japan.
It makes no sens for me.

Last year, the same model binocular was labeled 'Japan' (but no 'Made in Japan') and the country of origin was Japan.

Zeiss produces Terra models in China, the binocular is labeled accordingly and the country of origin is China, not Germany.
An additional reason for me to prefer Zeiss.

Last edited:
They don‘t - Zeiss originally designed the Terra (they are correctly labeled „Designed by Zeiss“), but production has been outsourced to a third party Chinese (non-Zeiss) company.
I stand corrected. And more reality aware.

Not the same as Laica owning facilities in Portugal and producing Made in Portugal binoculars. Right?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back