• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (4 Viewers)

Coffee-talks at the Bird Centre La Gola

Hello!
Tomorrow we have a coffee-talk at La Gola about the Balearic Shearwater.
The expert talking will be Miguel Mcminn.
From 3:30pm to 4:30pm approx. And we invite you a coffee or a tea.B :)

Regards,
Cristina.

Attachments

• Xerrada virot 2019_ang.jpg
    Xerrada virot 2019_ang.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 28
That’s a shame Cristina, I would love to come and hear Miguel again, he is so knowledgeable about Shearwaters and I have a bundle of questions for him having been an avid seawatcher for the last couple of years.
Next time.
Only news so far today is of a possible steppe Buzzard seen above Cabrera.
It’s a bit cooler here in Sussex but I have seen a few species that don’t occur in Mallorca which has been good.
Mike

Not many migrant birds these days, but a lot of migrant dargonflies. Today at least 5 vagrant emperors. Nice!

Attachments

• IMG_20190927_125613.jpg
    IMG_20190927_125613.jpg
    594.8 KB · Views: 80
Hello Martin and thank you for your clarification about the ‘Spurge’ caterpillar. I will post a photo of it ASAP.

Today’s sightings at Albufera 1030 - 1530

New hide opposite visitor centre: 2 purple gallinule, 1 great white egret, Osprey, 15+ Kentish plover, 8+ common snipe, 1 green shank, 2 dunlin.

First stone bridge from ses pardes hide; Reed warbler, 3 kingfisher

Es ciboller 11 hide: 7 spotted redshank, 5 greenshank, 2 shell duck, 1 kestrel

Es ciboller 1 hide: 1 ruff, 8 spotted redshank, 3 greenshank.

Bridge just after turning for above 2 hides: little bittern, moustached warbler

Hi Sally. I had Pretty much everything you had today but no ruff.
Green sand and 7 glossy ibis additions to your species list. Plenty of water rail. 1 little stint.
Gecko at cibeller 11 hide wasp spider and praying mantis yesterday.
Amazing the number of marble teal, many with rings on. Anyone know how many were released lately
Whinchat willow warbler and wheatear.
Redshank

Hello Martin and thank I
you for your clarification about the ‘Spurge’ caterpillar. I will post a photo of it ASAP.

Today’s sightings at Albufera 1030 - 1530

New hide opposite visitor centre: 2 purple gallinule, 1 great white egret, Osprey, 15+ Kentish plover, 8+ common snipe, 1 green shank, 2 dunlin.

First stone bridge from ses pardes hide; Reed warbler, 3 kingfisher

Es ciboller 11 hide: 7 spotted redshank, 5 greenshank, 2 shell duck, 1 kestrel

Es ciboller 1 hide: 1 ruff, 8 spotted redshank, 3 greenshank.

Bridge just after turning for above 2 hides: little bittern, moustached warbler

Last edited:
Not many migrant birds these days, but a lot of migrant dargonflies. Today at least 5 vagrant emperors. Nice!

Wow! That’s fantastic, and a cracking photo! I guess this year’s invasion is pretty much unprecedented. There have even been ovipositing pairs in Suffolk here in the UK.

Stew

Mortitx today,
Bonellis Eagle showing well, Sparrowhawk scarce here, Black and Griffon Vultures, Booted Eagle, Crag Martin's, Crossbills.
Albufereta, Black Necked Grebe, Greenshank.
Steve.

Hi Stew.
I have been thinking about the large pale butterfly we saw and I reckon it probably was what you have suggested, a pale female Cleopatra.
Put my mind at rest, thanks.
Mike

Hi Sally. I had Pretty much everything you had today but no ruff.
Green sand and 7 glossy ibis additions to your species list. Plenty of water rail. 1 little stint.
Gecko at cibeller 11 hide wasp spider and praying mantis yesterday.
Amazing the number of marble teal, many with rings on. Anyone know how many were released lately
Whinchat willow warbler and wheatear.
Redshank

Hello Craig
Thank you for your reply. Where did you see the water rail? I heard several but no sightings.
We had good views of the ruff walking along the back of the scrape.
Sally

Thanks Stew, your usual high standard and great reading.
I’m sure neither of us will ever forget the Vagrant Emperor, what a beauty and such a rarity.
Mike

Last edited:
Migration has slowed at the Cap de Ses Salines.
One of the locals suggested that it will pick up again with the next full moon when apparently birds are more energetic.
As I have never even considered this before, I have started to read up on it.
There is some evidence to confirm that this may be valid.
I always record wind direction and strength, cloud cover and temperature but maybe I should include the phase of the moon. It might be interesting to see if it has any bearing on migration.
Does anybody know anything about this phenomenon?
Mike

With all due credit to Mallorca Raptor Count, the sightings for today were:
1 Short-toed Eagle.
27 Booted eagles
13 Honey Buzzard
4 Eleonora’s
5 Common Kestrel
5 Marsh Harrier
1 Hobby
900 Barn swallow.
Obviously the Short-toed Eagle was the star of the show.
Booted eagles are now coming through so there may be some big numbers one day soon. Every year is different.
Mike

Sillot today,
Little Stints, Wood Sands, Green, Bluethroat.
Salbufera,
Glossy Ibis 9, Hobby over, and Scops Owls 2, in the moon light.
Steve.

Now back in the U.K. in the cold and rain after 10 days of sunshine in Majorca. I never got out birding as much as I would have liked but saw some great birds when I did.
Nice to meet up again with Mike, Steve, Dave and Graham again, as well as the members of the local raptor group who are always friendly and helpful.
The attached photos are of Honey buzzard at the Cap and the Nightjar Steve found at Sillot.

Attachments

• majorca sept 2018 009.jpg
    majorca sept 2018 009.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 70
  • majorca sept 2018 010 (640x396).jpg
    majorca sept 2018 010 (640x396).jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 77
Trip to Dragonera, Wednesday 2nd Oct from Port de Pollença

Hi everybody,
I run a trip to Dragonera Island Natural Park this Wednesday the 2nd and I have a few spaces left. Dragonera hosts the main colony of Eleonora's falcons in the Balearics as well as a good population of the endemic Balearic warbler. This time of the year Dragonera is also a major hotspot for the migration and anything may turn up!
If anyone is interested or wants more information, just drop me an email to [email protected] or call me on +34 620 229687.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back