• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Mallorca 2021 (1 Viewer)

After yesterday's constant rain my wife and I managed to get to s'Albufera for a few hours and luckily had no rain. An Osprey was perched on what is probably a favourite spot - a dead tree seen from the hide over the main channel from the information centre. It had quite a large fish. From this hide also; a Black-tailed Godwit, a Spotted Redshank, a Marsh Harrier, a Great White Egret, Greater Flamingos, four Marbled Duck, six Black-winged Stilts and many Lapwing, Shoveler, Cormorant and Shelduck. From hides near the information centre; Grey Heron, a Marsh Harrier, a Snipe, two Gadwall, Teal and Wigeon, not to mention the Mallard, Coot and Little Egrets. A Booted Eagle swooped down and caused havoc amongst the ducks. There were at least 12 Night Heron roosting in the bushes on the main channel but only one remained at 3.30 when we were leaving. Talked to some of the wardens who asked me to try to get a ring number on one of the Flamingos - 9CAP. One of 112 ringed in 2019 at Marismas del Odiel. Not a bad afternoon considering our week's holiday looked like it was going to be a total washout - and still might be. A few photos to come.

A few photos from today at s'Albufera - see previous post. The Osprey, Night Heron, Black-tailed Godwit and Spotted Redshank were all from distance and heavily cropped.

Attachments

• 9W6A1875.jpg
    9W6A1875.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 9W6A1897.jpg
    9W6A1897.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • 9W6A1920.jpg
    9W6A1920.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 9W6A1931.jpg
    9W6A1931.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 9W6A1938.jpg
    9W6A1938.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 16
A couple of Slender-billed gulls were reported around the seaward side of the bridge by the entrance to the reserve of s’Albufera.
Kevin got to see them, very elegant gulls they are too.
Woodcock (becada) have been seen in their favoured locations recently.
I haven’t been out locally yet to see if ours have arrived.
No other news.
I went to some very productive trees on the coast of Porto Colom today but the wind was howling and I couldn’t identify those small birds flitting around the canopy.
My wife told me there were lots of birds calling but I’m blowed if I could hear a thing.
It’s a very promising area, particularly following such strong north-easterly winds, so I will go back one calm and sunny morning, whenever that will be, it’s still awful.
Mike

Little Gull_5122.jpgLittle Gull_5126.jpgLittle Gull_5170.jpgLittle Gull_5174.jpgLittle Gull_5191.jpgLittle Gull_5215.jpgI took advantage of a gap in the bad weather today and went to Maristany to look for Little Gull and Slender-billed. Didn't find either. Toni Soler arrived while I was there and told me there were 2 Slender-billed in the entrance to Albufera, and a Little Gull at the depuradora. I didn't find the Slender-billed, but was successful with the Little Gull, showing well from the depuradora platform. The light was good, light winds and even had some sunshine!

I just attended the Moray branch Zoom Meeting of the Scottish Ornithologists Club,which was about the birds of Mallorca and Menorca.It really brought home,how much I have missed birding on Mallorca,since the pandemic."Fingers Crossed" for 2022.

Goodness Clive, you should hold a photography workshop and we can all come and learn from you, they are magnificent images, well done.
Mike

Thanks Mike, but there are lots of great bird photographers out there, and many that contribute to this forum. When I started bird photography, there was no automatic exposure or auto-focusing, and images were captured on celluloid film. Digital photography was a revolution, and the advances in camera technology make it so much easier to get consistantly good images. And you can check the results on-site instead of waiting 2 weeks to get the film developed and printed!

Now I use a Canon 7D Mark II body and it has 3 customised settings (your 7D also has this). I use 1 for macro with flash, 1 for static birds and the other for birds in flight. I can quickly switch between these modes by a turn of the dial. For the Little Gull photos I used Manual Mode, 1/2000th sec shutter, f5.6 (maximum for my 400mm lens) and ISO set to Auto. This generally gives a sharp image regardless of light conditions, but in low light I limit the auto ISO to 1600 because the camera sensor suffers from noise at high ISO settings. Of course for flight shots it is an advantage to have a camera that will auto-focus quickly.
I hope this will help someone.

It's taken a while but I've finally finished editing my photos from my trip in October and as promised here's a selection. Already booked up for June next year and looking forward to some great birding :D

Attachments

• Greater Flamingo 12.jpg
    Greater Flamingo 12.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • Pectoral Sandpiper 02.jpg
    Pectoral Sandpiper 02.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 17
  • Plovers.jpg
    Plovers.jpg
    968.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Zitting Cisticola.jpg
    Zitting Cisticola.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 15
  • Serin 01.jpg
    Serin 01.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Audouin's Gull 01.jpg
    Audouin's Gull 01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • Turnstone 01.jpg
    Turnstone 01.jpg
  • Black- crowned Night Heron.jpg
    Black- crowned Night Heron.jpg
  • Black-winged Stilt.jpg
    Black-winged Stilt.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 14
  • Common Chiffchaff 01.jpg
    Common Chiffchaff 01.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Common Sadnpiper.jpg
    Common Sadnpiper.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Common Snipe 01.jpg
    Common Snipe 01.jpg
    582.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Little Stint.jpg
    Little Stint.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Purple Swamphen 01.jpg
    Purple Swamphen 01.jpg
    646.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Sardinian Warbler.jpg
    Sardinian Warbler.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Spotted Redshank 05.jpg
    Spotted Redshank 05.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Water Pipit.jpg
    Water Pipit.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • Osprey 05.jpg
    Osprey 05.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Griffon Vulture.jpg
    Griffon Vulture.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Osprey 01.jpg
    Osprey 01.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 14
Day three of our trip yesterday and talk about a wash-out! Went for lunch at Stay at Port de Pollenca and watched a Shag fishing in the shallows as I ate my beef steak. Every time it caught something it was robbed by a Yellow-legged Gull. Even the Black-headed Gulls were annoying it. Enjoyed watching 13 Sandwich terns during dessert.

Weather is better today - day 4. Although not particularly amazing, from the villa (near Pollenca) this morning a Wryneck, Hoopoe, Sardinian Warblers, Red Kite, Booted Eagles, White Wagtails, Kestrel and a Sparrowhawk. Forecast for the next few days is dire so will be making the most of today.

A few shots from this morning of a Red Kite and Booted Eagles showing pale and dark morphs and white shoulder patches.

Attachments

• Red Kite.jpg
    Red Kite.jpg
    585.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Booted Eagle.jpg
    Booted Eagle.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Booted Eagle - dark morph.jpg
    Booted Eagle - dark morph.jpg
    622.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Booted Eagle - white shoulder patches.jpg
    Booted Eagle - white shoulder patches.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Booted Eagle - pale morph.jpg
    Booted Eagle - pale morph.jpg
    701.8 KB · Views: 12
Thanks everyone for the superb photos. It’s great seeing what’s around.

There has been some discussion about the various morphs of Booted eagle including mention of a rufous morph.
Birds are often classed as Light, Dark and Intermediate but in my experience, they vary such a great deal, so there are many morphs in between the recognised forms.
I believe this applies to many other species, just look at Common buzzard!

Following these storms, there must be some more rarities out there. When this horrible weather settles, it will be very interesting to see what will be found. The east and north east coast must be favourite.
Mike

Thanks everyone for the superb photos. It’s great seeing what’s around.

There has been some discussion about the various morphs of Booted eagle including mention of a rufous morph.
Birds are often classed as Light, Dark and Intermediate but in my experience, they vary such a great deal, so there are many morphs in between the recognised forms.
I believe this applies to many other species, just look at Common buzzard!

Following these storms, there must be some more rarities out there. When this horrible weather settles, it will be very interesting to see what will be found. The east and north east coast must be favourite.
Mike
Variation in plumage colours can be confusing. Interesting that scientific research shows that for Booted Eagle a bird is either a pale or dark morph. A recent study in Spain over 18 years showed 92% pale to only 8% dark morphs. However, for the common buzzard the vast majority of birds have a naturally occurring variation in colour plumage with only a handful being true dark or pale morphs. I suppose it comes down to semantics really.

Walked down the Boquer Valley today but no scarce or rare birds that I could see. There were masses of Black Redstarts and many Robins. Was hoping that something unusual would turn up.

That’s very interesting RHumphrey, many thanks.
Certainly, here in Mallorca, the vast majority of Booted eagles are pale morph but I’m surprised at a figure of 92% in Spain.
I’ve got many photos of different Booted eagles so I will post a few for interest.
Mike

As mentioned above regarding Common buzzard they have a huge variation. I have attched a photo showing variation in pale morph and some dark in the end. All photos from birds in Sweden and Annika Rasten is the photograph.
It would be interesting to see if Booted eagle show similar.

Ormvråk i olika dräkter Annika Rasten.jpg

That’s what I meant Häken, many thanks.
Just shows the variation.
My point was that I think it’s difficult to put Booted eagle into just two morphs, light and dark.
I have seen many types, only a couple of days ago, Kevin, Phil and I saw one almost black. Some are very pale indeed.

I felt strangely disappointed with my outing this morning. I got very excited about going to Cap de Ses Salines this morning and this led to me being there in the dark. I was then attacked by ravenous mosquitoes until a stranger emerged from the darkness with some insect repellent. I was very grateful.
I had high hopes as there have been many rarities in Spain recently and the storm has finally passed here in Mallorca.
The sea was so quiet, just 3 Balearic shearwaters and a few shags.
Groups of thrushes flew by, nearly all song thrush except a small group of 4 or 5 which I thought were Redwings.
There were a few Mistle thrush and that was it. Nothing else except carpets of Black redstarts, Robins, a few Meadow pipits and White wagtails.
The only thing that got me going was an odd thrush that flashed by. I got bold facial markings but no detail, and as it flew away, it showed a rusty red tail with an orange rump. Very odd but I will never know.
I still think there are some good birds out there, I just hope they get found.
Mike

Day 5 of our trip. After the daily rain managed a jaunt out to Cap de Formentor. Can't access the very end to the lighthouse as the road is blocked but did get to Albercutx but only bird of note was a Crossbill. Photo quite poor as it was some way off.

Attachments

• 9W6A2031.jpg
    9W6A2031.jpg
    624.6 KB · Views: 8
I know it is a Mallorca thread, but i just want to share, i am in a short trip to the north of Spain (2 days) and i have seen a stunning male of Snowy owl, i think is the best lifer in my life, Just wonderful, i am still shocked.
Regards

Attachments

• FCDAEB90-9EE1-48E8-8762-E18B35CE6ACA.jpeg
    FCDAEB90-9EE1-48E8-8762-E18B35CE6ACA.jpeg
    577.7 KB · Views: 19
  • A5D25D8D-2DB2-4A11-A31D-6DEBF143FCFD.jpeg
    A5D25D8D-2DB2-4A11-A31D-6DEBF143FCFD.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 19
Congratulations Pep, it’s a wonderful bird to see, majestic.
I’ve only ever seen one, in the UK, perhaps Friskney Sea Lane from memory. I could look it up of course.
I was with some young lads and it goes down as one of the best twitches ever.
It’s a nice birthday present for you Pep.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back