• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2022 (2 Viewers)

Kevin, I and our two wives visited the third largest wetland in Mallorca, Son Navata , Felanitx, this morning as the web site looked so tempting with lovely lagoons full of wildfowl.
We could hear Little grebe, Coot and Reed warbler. Barn swallows patrolled the sky. The problem was, there appears to be no way in!
We walked all around and even attempted to enter via the dump. We were quickly ousted by a very bad-tempered dumper driver. When asked if there was an entrance, we got the usual shrug of the shoulders.
As my wife had given up her keep-fit class to be there, she was not best pleased. The stench was so bad, she had to wear a mask.
Compensation came in the form of lunch at the Rafa Nadal Centre in Manacor.
It’s highly recommended but rather busy at the moment.
If anyone knows of a way in, perhaps they could let us know.
I texted Pep and he confirmed that there was no known entrance. Seems a terrible shame.
Mike

Last edited:
Shame I couldn’t access the link, I worked in the field of psychiatry so I would probably have enjoyed it.
Common swift have departed from nearly all villages it seems.
Turtle doves again line the approach road to the Cap so they are leaving too.
Barn swallows are down by the lighthouse, Cap de Ses Salines so there could be some movement there.
I was looking up early August records and it can be a good time with Black kite, young Rollers, Godwits, a Broad-billed sandpiper, Whimbrel, and Slender-billed gulls so overall, it’s not a bad month. It’s just that it’s so hot, very few local birders venture out.
Just us mad Brits.
I will try to get to the Cap one more time before we depart.
I have been offered a lift to the Black-browed albatross whilst in the UK and I certainly can’t turn that down.
The generosity of other birders is incredible.
Mike

Hi all
I'm coming out towards the end of Sept for a few days birding and general photography and trying to make some plans. Can anyone tell me if the gate to the Boquer Valley is locked overnight. As there will be no moon I'm looking for some locations to do some astrophotography to tie in with the birding, not looking to be up there overnight, just possibly around midnight. I'm staying in Alaro, so any other possible location ideas would be appreciated. Already looking at Cap Blanc, surveyed there in June.
Birds + dark skies make Steve a happy bunny, as long as it's not cloudy, which it managed to be in June when I was out.
Many thanks
Steve

Hi all
I'm coming out towards the end of Sept for a few days birding and general photography and trying to make some plans. Can anyone tell me if the gate to the Boquer Valley is locked overnight. As there will be no moon I'm looking for some locations to do some astrophotography to tie in with the birding, not looking to be up there overnight, just possibly around midnight. I'm staying in Alaro, so any other possible location ideas would be appreciated. Already looking at Cap Blanc, surveyed there in June.
Birds + dark skies make Steve a happy bunny, as long as it's not cloudy, which it managed to be in June when I was out.
Many thanks
Steve
Steve there are 2 gates at the Boquer one just below the finca and the other just above. The lower, vehicle gate is padlocked but the little step through pedestrian gate within it doesn’t have a lock on it. The gate just beyond the finca doesn’t have a lock in it either. Good luck.

I was watching shearwaters from my balcony this evening. I couldn’t do an accurate count as I was eating supper at the same time.
Not giving my full attention to the meal didn’t go down too well after yesterday’s disastrous outing at Son Navata.
It did, however, confirm that between 8.15pm and 8.45pm was the best time. I have been going to the lighthouse too early so a later visit will no doubt prove more fruitful.
During the daytime, shearwaters are out fishing so one’s and two’s are usually seen but for the big numbers, one hour before sunset and the east coast is the best bet. All birds are heading for the archipelago of Cabrera where they breed.
Mike

Last edited:
I was just adding up my totals for the Bigyear and it’s rather depressing reading.
I was joint top with Geordie David in January and February but I have been sliding down the rankings ever since.
200 is always the target but I’ve only managed that twice. It’s hard going.
Birds I have missed include:
Storm petrel
Squacco heron
White stork
Spoonbill
Montagu’s harrier
Common crane
Slender-billed gull
Long-eared owl (they breed near my home!)
Kingfisher
Roller
Alpine accentor.

Luckily, most of these are obtainable in autumn and winter so I hope to be in a better position at the end of the year.
Good luck to all those who are doing well, both locals and Brits.
I hope I don’t miss too much whilst I’m away for August but one thing’s for certain, I will be down at the Cap most days during September, watching the sun come up, hoping for a biggie.
Mike

On another depressing note, there is a monumental amount of building woks going on around our apartment with a huge new hotel, several town houses, new houses and lots of re-vamps.
The noise has been deafening.
I used to watch Long-eared owls, Barn owls, Scops owls and even Nightjars from my bedroom window.
They have all gone.
It speaks volumes about the impact of construction, if ever it was needed, yet the building works continue unabated.
Progress is inevitable but sensitive areas like Parc Mondragó, should be protected and nurtured. There are lots of good people working on this issue and I do my bit too, but I can’t help feeling very sad. I have tried to drum up support but I’m taken aback to discover just how few people care about the environment.
Mike

Steve there are 2 gates at the Boquer one just below the finca and the other just above. The lower, vehicle gate is padlocked but the little step through pedestrian gate within it doesn’t have a lock on it. The gate just beyond the finca doesn’t have a lock in it either. Good luck.
Thanks for the info 😃 (y)

Hi all
Many thanks
There are astronomy groups on Mallorca. I coincided with one when I was moth trapping near Lluch. I suspect they were not best plaeased with me running a large mv bulb light trap but we seemed to get on OK. Check out this: Nights are Getting Longer and It's Stargazing Time

Martin

Hi everyone. For everyone who helped me during my visit, once again thank you very much I had a blast. I've finally finished editing all my photos. They are on my Facebook account called 'Fergies Birding' under the photo albums if the following link doesn't work please just search manually for the account. I've set the permissions on the album so non friends can still view the album. Enjoy. Facebook 91 Species seen, 3 lifers, 18 new birds for Spain.

Last edited:
One last blast at the Cap de Ses Salines this morning.
I got there before dawn and watched the sun come up, something I find a very moving experience. I know there are lots of fancy words, and theories, for this feeling but I just like saying it’s moving.
Seven fabulous Turtle doves lined the approach road, lovely birds.
The sea was very quiet as expected but I saw 12 swift species above, almost certainly Pallid.
Young Sardinian warblers were scampering about and a spanking Eleonora’s falcon flew in from Cabrera. It looked stunning in the early morning sun. I hadn’t unpacked my cameras sadly.
Some Kestrels were hunting nearby and a local Booted eagle and Marsh harrier put in an appearance.
That’s it then for a month.
I expect news will be a bit skinny for a while but I will post any news I get. Very few people venture out in this heat.
Hopefully, I will get some time to go birding in the UK but my wife has many friends and family to visit.
It’s only fair, I do spend so much time birding so it’s good to support her. I just hope for no major rarities, otherwise..
Have fun,
Mike

Attachments

• 2F505740-F588-434A-96E2-493AD86E8D03.jpeg
    2F505740-F588-434A-96E2-493AD86E8D03.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • FE09319D-FBFC-497A-B8E5-F0B9E7F97CDF.jpeg
    FE09319D-FBFC-497A-B8E5-F0B9E7F97CDF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • F60E80E3-0921-4FFD-9DD0-7BCC609494B0.jpeg
    F60E80E3-0921-4FFD-9DD0-7BCC609494B0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • 89E5B72E-9755-4626-B005-27CC758A61A6.jpeg
    89E5B72E-9755-4626-B005-27CC758A61A6.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 30
  • 63837065-C909-40B1-8017-E1E8ECCB2D87.jpeg
    63837065-C909-40B1-8017-E1E8ECCB2D87.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 30
  • 8B30D948-A1CD-47EF-8DC4-D07A520EC7B7.jpeg
    8B30D948-A1CD-47EF-8DC4-D07A520EC7B7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
An Oystercatcher, a Slender-billed gull, Snipe, Curlew sandpiper and other common waders have all been seen today at s’Albufera so some birds are on the move.

We arrived in sunny Shrewsbury with a lovely cool breeze. Mallorca was stifling but I still miss it.
No birding here yet. I’ve seen reference to Venus Pools fairly near here so I hope to pay that a visit. Just seen lots of Common swift, Buzzards and Red kites from the car.
If anyone knows of any other sites nearby, perhaps you could let me know.
Enjoy Mallorca lucky people.
Mike

There are astronomy groups on Mallorca. I coincided with one when I was moth trapping near Lluch. I suspect they were not best plaeased with me running a large mv bulb light trap but we seemed to get on OK. Check out this: Nights are Getting Longer and It's Stargazing Time

Martin
Cheers Martin, I'll have a look.
That reminds me of a night I was sitting up on top of Blackgang Chine on the Isle of Wight with my wife and daughter, setting up for some photography after dark. Was just about to start snapping and the police turned up with great big search lights on a tip off of a rave taking place. Although they weren't worried about what I was doing, and there was obviously no rave, they still hung around for ages with the lights on, nattering. Needless to say I didn't get any photos :confused:

The salt pans at Salobrar de Campos are a good place to be at the moment with Curlew sandpipers, Dunlin, Greenshank, Curlew and Whimbrel.
Also over 200 greater Flamingoes.
Thanks to Toni S.
No birding for me in Shrewsbury but at least the air is fresh.
Mike

Hello all

after an absence of 3 years from Mallorca ( kids growing up fast and something to do with a virus!), it is great to be back in Pto. Pollensa for 2 weeks. That said, its hottest visit Ive ever had and seems only birdable first couple of hours of the day and evening ( for me, anyway!)

So I headed out today at 0645 to Albufereta tower and Can Cuarassa. Had Squacco Heron, 7 Purple Heron, 5 Stone Curlew and 11 Greeenshank and a Spot Red left high to the east. There wasn't much water out there but a lot of small waders which were just that bit too far off without my scope .

Other than that just regular Mallorca stuff - we are staying overlooking Bocquer valley entrance and have seen a few Eleanora's over high, and Spotted Flys seem to be everywhere.

All in all, nothing exceptional in Mallorca terms ( I realise I'm a bit early for peak migration) but great to be back despite the heat! Looking forward to a few early morning trips out so please do share any news.
Also , despite many visits to Mallorca Ive somehow never been to Son Real so may give that a go - any advice would be great.

Chris

Hi Chris
Welcome back to sweltering Mallorca, the hottest July on record and it looks like August may also be one of the hottest too.
Sa Roca at s’Albufera is well worth a visit with Whimbrel, Curlew, Pintail, Teal, a Ringed plover and a magnificent 5 Temminck’s stint.
Thanks to Pere for the details.
I’m in sunny south London but with a nice cool breeze.
I’m just a stone’s throw from one of my old local patches, what used to be Elmer’s End sewage farm, now rather grandly called South Norwood Country Park.
A lovely Wren was in the garden to greet me, affording close-up views, something that’s much more difficult in Mallorca. Then one of those wretched parakeets flew over. I’d forgotten all about them. Lots of people like them but I find them irritating.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back