• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2022 (1 Viewer)

A walk up to the Ternelles Valley gates this morning gave good views of some Black Vultures. No sign of the Orange-winged Dropwings in a brief look on return at mid-day (at the lower water tanks).
A couple of hours mid to late afternoon at Casas Velles quiet except hordes of Serins.
Viewing the fields is so much more restricted nowadays since it has become a vineyard and all of the fig trees have gone. Some memories though came back of showing ‘the’ late Peter Grant our Rufous Bushchat down in the lower field; a new bird for him then! Such a great chap.
I had a look at the parking at the bottom of the Boquer; new signs clearly in place regarding no parking; but the wire gates were partially down and cars inside. I won’t be risking it again and will park along the service road.
I am still hoping for some groups of Yellow-legged gulls; only very few along Porto Pollensa bay; may try the Alcudia harbour to see if any are present. If anyone comes across any good congregations I am am still keen to have s look this week. I did find one sub-adult Audouin’s in the Pollensa Park beach roost of 30+ birds; had dark head markings and imm bill. The bird was transitory I think. Also up to 5 Sandwich Terns.
Thanks
Matthew

Ps; no Scops so far from our balcony…

Not a great day today, having a bottle of coke explode all over me in the car probably just about sums it up. First stop Cap Blanc, only bird of note was a Med Flycatcher, otherwise little else. Then down to Salines des Trenc, a few waders about, mainly Plover, and what I can decide are either Dunlin or Curlew Sands. Bills look too short for the latter but legs too long, and well marked on the head. 50 plus Flamingo and a good few Black-winged Stilt and Avocet. From the Spa I could only walk to the beginning of the track after the field, it was completely waterlogged. In the field were a number of Little-ringed Plover, not quite what I was hoping for when I noticed the movement. Then down to Cap Salines which proved to be a complete waste of time, a couple of Audouin's Gulls was all that made the note book. On driving back I saw a large flock of big black birds which at home I would have just noted as Crows. I believe I'm correct in saying the only corvids on the island are Ravens, so if so, it was unusual for me to see so many together, the most I've seen at home is a pair. On the drive back to Cap Blanc I noted a Booted Eagle fly over and a couple of Red Kite. Back at Cap Blanc there was a bit more movement, a few Lark which I'm having difficulty identifying from photos, though I think they were Thekla's, and large, almost woodpecker looking bird on top of a telegraph pole. Need to get my photos edited and hopefully get some answers. Now in Alaro, and going to Son Real and the towers round Alburfera tomorrow.

Son Real yesterday,bonus juvenile red footed falcon hunting at field edges near overspill car park,lot of goldfinches at freshwater pool hide plus a couple of cross bills,would have been more if not for rainwater pools,but a lot in the pines on routes 2 and 3.still a number of spotted flycatchers about.C9D1CBC1-4F5B-4C73-BC89-1FC8301F9E55.png

Son Real yesterday,bonus juvenile red footed falcon hunting at field edges near overspill car park,lot of goldfinches at freshwater pool hide plus a couple of cross bills,would have been more if not for rainwater pools,but a lot in the pines on routes 2 and 3.still a number of spotted flycatchers about.View attachment 1472008
Have you uploaded the correct pic. Looks like a kestrel that one.

Tried the Boquer Balearic Warblers this morning around 11:00; some short song and a few calls. Very difficult to get any prolonged views as expected. Area to left of main path just before dropping to beach seemed best. Had to largely ignore the many falcons unfortunately….
Also tried Alcudia harbour for gulls; the best roosting area is out of bounds near the ferry terminal exit. A big row along a bridge; too far for photos. A few around the apartments too.

Hi Matthebirder.
I well remember the late Peter Grant and birding with him and others on the Kent marshes and at Dungeness.
A very knowledgeable and experienced birder with great gull ID skills. He even wrote a book on gulls I seem to remember.
Lucky you seeing a rufous bushchat, one I really want.
A bit more action at the Cap yesterday with Adolfo seeing 13 migrant kestrel, 250 House martins and over 40 Bee-eaters.
Yesterday, I was lucky enough to see a Monarch butterfly over rough ground in Cala Egos. There have been a few sightings on the east coast.
Mike

What a great and inspiring thread! We will stay a week in alcudia 15-22 of october with our bird crazy kids. S'albufera twice, s'albureta once and a walk in boquer valley is on the list. Any other suggestions? Might rent a car for one Day otherwise i think we will prefer bus/bike/walking.
Are there any boattrips of interest for pelagic birds?
All birds are of great interest (a bit late for bee eaters and woodchat shrike i guess?).
Regards
Joakim, Gotland Sweden

Last edited:
Hi Joakin
I’ve looked up sightings for the dates you are coming to Mallorca and there was still plenty of migration, although my records were mainly in the south.
We were still seeing Black kite, Booted eagles on migration, Marsh harriers, Eleonora’s falcon and Merlin.
In the north, we logged Pintail, Glossy ibis, Knot, Golden plover, Osprey, Marbled duck and Spotted redshank.
Many other species will be at the Albufera reserve so I’m sure you will have a good time.
Let me know if you have any specific requests and we will try to help.
Mike

Ps. Last dates for the Woodchat shrike seem to be at the end of September but some have been known to linger. I once logged one near the end of November but that was very unusual.

Thank you for your kind reply. Im sure we will have a good time. Hard to point out specifik birds of interest . Arctic waders are always nice though we have already had a good season here on Gotland. Would love some stilts, hoepoes (missed one just today in our area, rare visitors)and blue rock thrush (and of course night herons, vultures.... the list goes on). I will continue to follow this thread.
Regards

Lots of raptors gathering at both Pla de Lanzell and Maria de La Salut, as reported by Pere.
Maybe the Cap will be lively tomorrow morning.
One thing is for sure, I will be there!
Mike

Hello Martin!
In Mortitx we saw up to 17 caterpillars, but butterflies have also been seen, up to about 30 in a short tour. Lately they have also been seen in many places, including in Inca (where I live), but also on the east coast and other places. As you say, there is the possibility that they originated from releases, but I would not rule out a natural arrival, since the dates of the observations have coincided exactly with others that are taking place in Catalonia. So everything seems possible!
Plain Tigers are seen now in good numbers too.
Single Monarchs at Mortitx and Playa Alconada today … seem to be everywhere?

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back