• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2022 (1 Viewer)

Another long day out in the field today, would have been longer if I could get out of bed in the morning :unsure::ROFLMAO: Change of plans, went straight to Albufereta where I saw 23 Flamingos, 11 Glossy Ibis, a couple of Common Sandpiper and Greenshank. Quite a few waders out on the water but the wind was playing havoc with my scope. Had a nice flyover by a Booted Eagle, a couple of Red Kite and an Eleonora's Falcon. On to Son Real and straight to the hide to waste an hour looking at pretty well nothing other than a load of Goldfinch, and a brief appearance of a Crossbill and Greenfinch. Walked down to the sea and the woods seemed empty of birds bar a Med Flycatcher and a couple of Theakla's Lark. Next on to the Depuradora where things livened right up. Nothing on the water, but along the track to the tower I came across a juvenile Shrike, probably Woodchat, need to edit the photos, Whinchat, and a Redstart, as well as a couple more Med Flies. Finally on to s'Amarador and found the Mute Swan in company of a pair of duck pond ducks. Not sure what they are, but I suspect they are escapees from somewhere. Albufera tomorrow for the day, just hope those ants leave me alone in the hide.

Hi Martin,
Do you think that the Mortitx Monarchs (sounds like an American football team) could become established?

They seem so widespread that vagrancy seems incredibly unlikely, but regardless of origin, if there are now caterpillars will they be able to complete further life-cycle stages?

After the surprise of realising that at least one of the three insects I saw in Mortitx on 8/9 was a Monarch, I looked carefully at further sightings. I saw a Monarch at the roadside tank on the Ternelles approaches on 11/9, and I photographed another in the Bocquer Valley on 13/9. I didn’t see any plain tigers before we left for home on 16/9.

Stew
Took this photo at Mortix and not in focus but caterpillars present!

Attachments

• 2I9A1279.jpeg
    2I9A1279.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Hi, this morning at La Gola (Pto Pollença), up to 30 species, still 5 Balearic Spotted Flycatchers, 1 Willow warbler, 6 Common Starlings and the surprise was to find a juvenile Common Rosefinch (Carpodacus erythrinus)!!!! feeding with more or less 20 Greenfinches.

You can chek our daily birdlist on Ebird. Each day there are new migrants at the place!.

The Ornithological Tourism Center it's open from Monday to Friday, from 9 am to 4 pm till November.

Hi All,

Haven't done as much birding as usual but have seen 30 species without really trying. A walk up to the Boquer every morning. Quite windy so not many birds about. Highlights were Blue Rock Thrush, Eleanora's Falcon and Stonechat. Also had a couple of trips to La Gola. Missed the Rosefinch unfortunately but did have a Cattle Egret yesterday (28th). Also had 1 Monarch Butterfly there today (29th). Home early tomorrow but hoping to be back in the Spring. I have missed this place so much.
Happy birding
Rach

I'll be home tomorrow with 106 species since Friday. Blog to follow. Highlights being the Caspian Tern, Bluethroat, Purple Heron and Bonellis eagle. Its been a family holiday so Birding has taken a back seat. The number of species does show how good Birding is on the island for very little effort.

Hi southernsteve,
Regarding the ravens you saw.
Cap de Ses salines is a good place to see large numbers. I have seen groups of 80 quite frequently there but there are records of over 280 and a new record of 400 was established last year.
Like you, I don’t remember seeing more than two together in the UK.
Mike

In three hours at the Cap this morning, I didn’t see a single migrant. I couldn’t believe how quiet it was and I moaned away to my wife who was, as usual, sitting in a chair nearby, reading a book.
She looked a bit fed up and I was too.
But then an unfamiliar butterfly went past. I was sure it was a Monarch and so was she.
Then another, and another, until I reached a grand total of eleven. I’m sure there would have been more but diplomacy got the better of me and I offered Jane lunch at the magnificent Es Cruce.
Also, 3 two-tailed pasha went west together with a Swallowtail.
We went to lunch which was just fabulous as always. It’s not to everyone’s taste, but for us, it’s the best. You have to queue for at least half an hour but all the locals shuffle along, talking very loudly as they patiently wait. They are very friendly towards us. Tourists are very rare here. The atmosphere is electric as they anticipate another excellent lunch. It’s not for vegetarians though. Three lovely courses of great quality for about a tenner with drinks.
The trouble is, it’s dangerously near Vilafranca. I did gingerly suggest we had a quick look and after that splendid lunch, she happily agreed.
The meridionalis grey shrike was being very bold and a group of 7 Red kite circled above together with two Booted eagles.
We went slowly back home, feeling very happy and content. And very full, nouvelle cuisine it certainly isn’t.
Mike

Attachments

• E3713E7F-DFAB-48D3-A338-725BCE5585B6.jpeg
    E3713E7F-DFAB-48D3-A338-725BCE5585B6.jpeg
    404.3 KB · Views: 29
  • A4B0A5DA-E827-46CA-A6C0-4F03934BE985.jpeg
    A4B0A5DA-E827-46CA-A6C0-4F03934BE985.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 4A43FED0-2A9E-4205-8B9B-59D9539F28B7.jpeg
    4A43FED0-2A9E-4205-8B9B-59D9539F28B7.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 29
Hi Craig.
I’m not sure anybody knows, it’s all up for discussion at the moment with quite a few different theories, eg, a wedding release or a natural occurrence.
I have no experience or prior knowledge so I’m keeping quiet.
I do think my grand total today will add something though. I’m not sure if they are newly arrived or not but it’s interesting to get such a high number in the south.
So I will sit back and let the experts slog it out. I will of course, update whenever I can.
Mike

On the subject on Monarchs, I had one fly over me on the track from Es Colombers hide to the visitors centre this lunchtime, probably about the most interesting thing I saw on what was a vary quiet day, again......more of that later

Spent most of the day at Albufera mainly looking at water and ducks. 14 Night Heron were seen on the way down on the opposite bank of the river and all looked good for the day. Thankfully the ants have been eradicated from the Es Ciboller 1 hide, especially as this was the only one with anything of real interest to look at. A few Spotted Redshank, a Green Sandpiper, a Curlew, a couple of Glossy Ibis and Flamingo and plenty of Stilts were seen, along with other common species. A Swamphen strutted across in front of the hide, posing for photos in the sun, but otherwise very run of the mill. In No2 the the sum on one Shelduck was seen, and down at Es Colombers I was treated to more Flamingo, a couple of Egrets and a Little Grebe. Back at Sa Roca, no small waders were seen, a couple of Avocet and loads of wildfowl were the order of the day. Walking around little was seen or heard so I left with my tail between my legs in a huff. Drove to Son Bosc and things once again livened up. On the track to the tower there was loads of bird movement, though mainly Sparrows and Starlings, but also a Hoopoe, which once again evaded the camera, a Whinchat, probably the same one as yesterday, and Spotted Flycatcher which was a lot darker than others I've seen here this week so I assume it's a migrant passing through. Finally back to Albufereta, loads of waders here but with the sun in my eyes I was unable to make out most. I think they were Redshank, possibly spotted, stilts and Flamingo. The hide was quiet, just 2 Common Sandpiper, a Greenshank, and 61, I was getting board, Kentish Plover. Walking back to the car a Redstart flashed through the woods. Last day here tomorrow, I was going to venture up into the mountains, but I think I may head back down to the south of the island and retry the area around the salt pans and Cap Blanc. Only recorded a disappointing 48 species this week, with one or two to be confirmed as well. Really not what I was hoping, everywhere just seems so quiet, maybe I've just been unlucky, who knows, having said that, it's just lovely to be here and seeing the island, not just the hotel swimming pool and bar. Lets see if I can top it up before heading home late tomorrow evening.

Good luck for tomorrow southernsteve.
I think you’ve just been unlucky I’m sorry to say. Albufera was pretty good a couple of weeks ago but that’s not much help.
The Cap has been deadly quiet in the past few days too. It’s very disappointing.
As you say though, it’s a beautiful Island which does ease the pain a bit!
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back