• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2022 (1 Viewer)

Also, any views on what the small fritillaries flying around in Albufera were today, they were too fast to get a good look but smaller than speckled wood sized.

Arriving in Alcudia on saturday. Are the northern areas of s'albufera worth visiting (es colombars, quite close to the hotel) or should we go for the main entrance?
Joakim

Hi HemsleyOne
I’m not so good with butterflies so I hope someone else responds. Just for the record, I do know that the speckled wood here is smaller and more orange than the UK one.

Joakim
The areas surrounding the main reserve often produce some of the best birds so it’s all worth exploring. Here in Mallorca, you just never know.
It’s all a bit quiet just now but with a change of wind direction, who knows what may turn up.
Good luck.
Mike

I managed to squeeze in a short visit near the Cap in between the dentist and shopping.
I was just setting up when Martin (Houdiny) arrived.
It was great to have some company and to confirm that there really is nothing coming through at the moment. It was devoid of migrant raptors.
We did see those magnificent Bonelli’s eagles, two adults, soaring away in the background. A few Common kestrels, some Red kite and a handful of Eleonora’s falcons at least gave some entertainment.
Martin heard a Siskin as soon as he arrived, and later he heard another. Robins were also newly arrived.
When I left, I believe all that Martin saw were some Tree sparrows.
I will be back there Sunday with the usual enthusiasm, it hasn’t got me down yet. It’s the anticipation that keeps me going back.
No other news today.
Mike

Hi HemsleyOne
I’m not so good with butterflies so I hope someone else responds. Just for the record, I do know that the speckled wood here is smaller and more orange than the UK one.

Joakim
The areas surrounding the main reserve often produce some of the best birds so it’s all worth exploring. Here in Mallorca, you just never know.
It’s all a bit quiet just now but with a change of wind direction, who knows what may turn up.
Good luck.
Mike
Sounds like that’s what they were then! Thanks Mike.

Sounds like that’s what they were then! Thanks Mike.
Mike's correct. The Speckled Woods there are the continental race. Much more orange than our pale yellow-spotted ones. Only two species of Fritillaries are reputedly recorded from the Balearic Islands, both quite large: the Queen of Spain and the Cardinal [and I'm not sure about the first].
Martin

Three black vultures getting agro from pair of falcons probably Eleanors also red kite on Tuesday in Boquer valley.
Can I get help with wader Id from s’albufera,pictures enclosed.thanks

Attachments

• 8149632E-8B57-4E3B-ADD2-E348079B296B.jpeg
    8149632E-8B57-4E3B-ADD2-E348079B296B.jpeg
    908.1 KB · Views: 57
  • E27DE0F7-C6C2-4E79-B74E-7F94EAE199D7.jpeg
    E27DE0F7-C6C2-4E79-B74E-7F94EAE199D7.jpeg
    832 KB · Views: 54
  • FC9A6115-EE6F-4E2C-8FBA-285C9678342D.jpeg
    FC9A6115-EE6F-4E2C-8FBA-285C9678342D.jpeg
    844.5 KB · Views: 55
Just done a quick blog about my stay here at the end of September. Well done to Mike M for continuing with this thread, it really helps when on Holiday here.

Last edited:
Fantastic to be here again after 3 1/2 years. Not a great number of birds but preferred time in the pool on a hot afternoon. A couple of kites + booted eagle on the way to the hotel. Kestrel and peregrine over Albufera seen from our balcony. 8 or so flamingos there as well. A number of bats around the hotel this evening. Tom

Great report Craig. Some superb photos too. Thanks for posting it.
It’s great to see other parts of Mallorca too. It really is a beautiful Island.
All the best
Mike

Another great aspect to our hobby is the people I’ve met here over the years.
Many have become good friends and we enjoy meeting up on social ocasiones too, although it’s not long before the conversation turns inevitably to birds.
Today was one such day when Martin, Mara and the delightful Isabella joined us here for lunch.
Eating outside is one of the privileges of living in this climate. Looking out to sea and up to the mountains is lovely.
Martin suggested that we call in at my local lighthouse before leaving.
It was a very sunny and warm evening and the sea was pretty calm.
We saw about a dozen Scopoli’s shearwaters.
Mara then spotted a Great white egret, a good bird for this site. It was at this point when I realised the reason why I miss so many birds.
Martin picked up the call of a Brambling and sure enough, a group of finches were flying around. They gave us the run around for a while by flying nervously from tree to tree, but eventually they gave themselves up. We saw a group of three with the bottom bird caught in the last rays of the setting sun. A Brambling for sure.
Martin also heard a Siskin and found a Blue Rock thrush and Robins were calling from everywhere so it seems there had been a fall of wintering birds.
There were also lots of Greenfinch and Chaffinch .
A very fitting end to a terrific day.
Mike

Three black vultures getting agro from pair of falcons probably Eleanors also red kite on Tuesday in Boquer valley.
Can I get help with wader Id from s’albufera,pictures enclosed.thanks
One your wader photos shows what appears to be a strong white supercilium, it could be Wood Sandpiper??

Hi, keep hearing a very strong tu-tu-tu call from our hotel by Albufera. From the book I thought Common Sandpiper but having listened online to those calls it is nothing like it. Not seen the culprit and the mozzies are keeping me from exploring too much. Any ideas would be appreciated. A Wryneck in the hotel grounds was a bonus this morning. Thanks, Tom

Hi, keep hearing a very strong tu-tu-tu call from our hotel by Albufera. From the book I thought Common Sandpiper but having listened online to those calls it is nothing like it. Not seen the culprit and the mozzies are keeping me from exploring too much. Any ideas would be appreciated. A Wryneck in the hotel grounds was a bonus this morning. Thanks, Tom
Greenshank?

Just for interest, Phil Akers sent me this photo of a snake seen by a friend of his, in a garden in Son Servera, Mallorca.
Apparently, it is caenoplana coerulea, originally from Australia, but now establishing populations around the globe.
This may be the first record for Mallorca but I’m out of my depth again.
The record was described as “interesting” so I thought I would pass it on, with due credit to Phil Akers.
Mike

Attachments

• 0D94FB08-8696-4273-B749-5254513C58AF.jpeg
    0D94FB08-8696-4273-B749-5254513C58AF.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 30
It was nice to have some company again at Cap de Ses salines this morning.
I could listen to Pep all day with his stories of birding is some far-away and rather dangerous locations.
I must say, I don’t have the nerve for that kind of thing, but it is nevertheless, very entertaining.
We managed so few birds, just one high up Marsh harrier leaving the Island, and possibly, a Booted eagle doing the same.
Bonelli’s eagles put in one of their regular appearances.
Lots of finches were passing overhead when I got to the Cap early on, but I couldn’t hear any calls sadly. I have some awful photos but can’t be sure of any of them. Where is Martin when you need him?!
11 Monarch went past and 8 Plain tigers.
Mike

It was nice to have some company again at Cap de Ses salines this morning.
I could listen to Pep all day with his stories of birding is some far-away and rather dangerous locations.
I must say, I don’t have the nerve for that kind of thing, but it is nevertheless, very entertaining.
We managed so few birds, just one high up Marsh harrier leaving the Island, and possibly, a Booted eagle doing the same.
Bonelli’s eagles put in one of their regular appearances.
Lots of finches were passing overhead when I got to the Cap early on, but I couldn’t hear any calls sadly. I have some awful photos but can’t be sure of any of them. Where is Martin when you need him?!
11 Monarch went past and 8 Plain tigers.
Mike
Where are all these monarchs coming from I wonder.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back