• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2022 (1 Viewer)

MJB, not sure when my feeders will be depleted but thanks all the same!
Today, 2 large feeders in our small garden were depleted to below 50% before dusk by swarms of (mostly) Goldfinches. It's not cold weather and there appears to be plenty of food around. One unexpected byproduct is that the large number of Woodpigeons and feral white doves (today 17 and 14 respectively) have vacuumed up the spilled seed (Goldfinches have terrible table manners) so effectively that it's unlikely to attract rats for long! Yesterday's single Brambling has quite sensibly sought a quieter neighbourhood...!
MJB

Last edited:
Pep found a Knot at Salobrar today and saw a flock of 15 common crane in flight.
Knot are quite difficult to see here although I remember a long-stayer at the depuradora, Albufera which Kevin managed to relocate.
The starling roost at s’Albufera is gathering pace. It really is a spectacle not to be missed.
The best time was when I was with StewB. I have never seen so many. It was an extraordinary event and one which I will never forget.
A big influx of Song thrush today and a Brambling and an Alpine accentor were recorded I believe.
Mike

Pep found a Knot at Salobrar today and saw a flock of 15 common crane in flight.
Knot are quite difficult to see here although I remember a long-stayer at the depuradora, Albufera which Kevin managed to relocate.
The starling roost at s’Albufera is gathering pace. It really is a spectacle not to be missed.
The best time was when I was with StewB. I have never seen so many. It was an extraordinary event and one which I will never forget.
A big influx of Song thrush today and a Brambling and an Alpine accentor were recorded I believe.
Mike
The starlings were phenomenal, wave after uncountable wave! It was actually a very moving experience.

Stew

and they make the most extraordinary and amusing shapes in the sky.
We give them names too, like “mushroom” or whatever comes to mind. Other things too which, well, makes us laugh a lot.
Raptors can be seen attacking the flocks, mostly Peregrine, Merlín and even the lumbering, slow old Marsh harriers have a go.
An evening of great entertainment.
Mike

Attachments

• 585BFC9E-73C1-4555-8284-5765EA9BF4F1.jpeg
    585BFC9E-73C1-4555-8284-5765EA9BF4F1.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 23
  • D6513D38-F43E-42AB-B8CA-78A489FD5410.jpeg
    D6513D38-F43E-42AB-B8CA-78A489FD5410.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 22
  • D5643C6F-56C4-464C-AD8C-D96C5CA9E733.jpeg
    D5643C6F-56C4-464C-AD8C-D96C5CA9E733.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 22
and they make the most extraordinary and amusing shapes in the sky.
We give them names too, like “mushroom” or whatever comes to mind. Other things too which, well, makes us laugh a lot.
Raptors can be seen attacking the flocks, mostly Peregrine, Merlín and even the lumbering, slow old Marsh harriers have a go.
An evening of great entertainment.
Mike
Fantastic photos

I`ve been very busy recently and consequently I haven't had much time for birding. However, I managed to escape yesterday and headed off to the Salobrar, hoping to see the Knot and the Cranes which have been seen recently there.
I arrived at the lagoons bordering the Es Trenc roadside at 9.15 am. It was beautiful sunny morning, and I soon began finding lots of waders. Common Redshank, Greenshank, B/W Stilt, Avocet, Kentish Plover, Little Ringed Plover (mostly juveniles), Little Stint, Dunlin, Turnstone. A couple of Water Pipits were also on show, and overhead there were Red Kite, Ravens, 2 Marsh Harriers and a Booted Eagle. And of course, there were Flamingos, about 150.
However, there was no sign of the Knot. I stayed around for another 2 hours but to no avail.
I drove back to the Sant Fonta hotel, parked up and set off along Eddies Track hoping to catch sight of the Cranes. As I walked along, heading for the pumping station, there were lots of Flamingos, about 200 and occasional Spotted Redshanks, Shelducks, but no sign of the Cranes.
When I arrived at the pumping station I sat and had my lunch. I was treated to a brief view of a bluethroat perched atop a bush, too brief for a photo.
So, a lovely morning`s birding but no Cranes or Knot.
Along with a few photos taken from the Es Trenc roadside, I`ve also included a photo of a Monarch butterfly (they seem to be popping up everywhere) it was taken the day before while out walking our dogs.

Phil A.

Attachments

• IMG_6897.JPG
    IMG_6897.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6861.JPG
    IMG_6861.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6853.JPG
    IMG_6853.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6847.JPG
    IMG_6847.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6836.JPG
    IMG_6836.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6833.JPG
    IMG_6833.JPG
    766.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6828.JPG
    IMG_6828.JPG
    845.7 KB · Views: 17
Lovely photos Phil, I especially like the Monarch butterfly, a beautiful capture.
Last year I sat down by the pump house in December and saw three Bluethroats so they may well winter there again.
Mike

Sorry about the lack of news, I can’t drive at the moment which severely restricts my birding activities.
I have been out locally but there is very little around.
Dani reported 20 Common crane seen today at s’Albufera, and two Greylag geese there too.
Phil went to see them, missed the cranes but bagged the geese and a Bar-tailed godwit, quite scarce in some years.
I managed to get to Porto Colom for a short time though, hoping to find a Yellow-browed warbler but no luck. I always dream of finding a Pallas’s warbler. What little gems they are.
If Yellow-browed warblers and Red-flanked bluetails can get here, then why not?
Mike

Hi. I’m looking to come out next spring for a Thursday to Sunday trip and hopefully see the flycatcher and Balearic and Moltonis warbler. (And maybe the shearwaters and any reptiles but the three birds above are the priority). Does anyone on here either know of a bird guide for the island who could help with that or a birder with transport who would be happy to do the same (paid obviously).

I’ve got some freedom about dates and could try and chose accommodation to suit.

Anyone able to help?

Hi. I’m looking to come out next spring for a Thursday to Sunday trip and hopefully see the flycatcher and Balearic and Moltonis warbler. (And maybe the shearwaters and any reptiles but the three birds above are the priority). Does anyone on here either know of a bird guide for the island who could help with that or a birder with transport who would be happy to do the same (paid obviously).

I’ve got some freedom about dates and could try and chose accommodation to suit.

Anyone able to help?
Mallorcan Midwife Toad too Owen?

Chris

Mallorcan Midwife Toad too Owen?

Chris

That would be great but don’t know how easy. I read a nice account of herping on the island the other day and the toads look cool. I have just had a response from a tour guide I emailed a few weeks back so I’ll see what they offer.

I'd obviously enjoy seeing all the regular Mediterranean stuff but it really is the endemics and near endemics I'm going for and not sure guides always want to spend too long waiting on a warbler

Last edited:
That would be great but don’t know how easy. I read a nice account of herping on the island the other day and the toads look cool. I have just had a response from a tour guide I emailed a few weeks back so I’ll see what they offer.

I'd obviously enjoy seeing all the regular Mediterranean stuff but it really is the endemics and near endemics I'm going for and not sure guides always want to spend too long waiting on a warbler
Would be interested in any gen you get Owen - over there myself next September for a few days. Main avian targets Balearic warbler and Eleonora's Falcon, then various odonates, butterflies and herps.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back