• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2024 (7 Viewers)

I think I will Stick to Merlin, as this covers most of the WP and there are data packs for other countries you can download.
PUC costs some 250 $
A nice review:

I think I found you Mike

I bought the PUC during the kickstarter campaign and got it a lot cheaper than USD 249 (which I find a bit expensive for what it can do). Taking the PUC on a trip (mounted on a backpack) is something I tried once, but there were some major letdowns: the data gets stored on an internal MicroSD card and gets uploaded when you’re back in WiFi range. This upload took ages, I only collected about 2 hours of data and the upload took about 6 hours (maybe the Birdweather server was the issue, idk). Accessing the uploaded data was not how I imagined it to be. I would have liked to be able to see my exact itinerary and the places the birdcalls were registered. But this was not really the case. So either the developers work on the user interface, or I‘ll be sticking to using it 24/7 on my balcony at home (it’s nice to see the different activity windows of specific species!).
Back to the topic:
A visit to S‘Albufera got me a couple of new species for this vacation:
Curlew Sandpiper, GR Warbler, Little Stint, Gull billed tern, Osprey, Red knobbed coot, spotted Redshank, Pied Flycatcher, Wood Sandpiper, as well as all the other usual species.

Cheers
Martin

I believe the first Cuckoo was seen coming in-off the sea earlier today.
I managed to retrieve my car today as it has been abandoned for the last two weeks following my unexpected mishap.
It was a happy reunion and I had to drive past the salt pans at Salobrar where the amount of swift species in the air was impressive. There were lots of raptors mixed in with them so I hope to visit there very soon, hopefully later tomorrow.
Mike

RFI please; (Mike possibly); I'm considering a possible 'Summer'visit; mid June ; late I know for birds but I'm looking for any definitive sources of information for Butterflies and Dragonflies but struggling. I have done plenty of Spring visits over the ages so starting to look at out of season periods to get a broader view. Any pointers very welcome. I'm guessing mid-June may still have a few bird surprises still waiting to be discovered though....
(I am used to very hot locations)
-- thanks Matt.

A very big hello to everybody on the forum we are pleased to announce that our annual trip is less than a month away, we will be staying up North.
Sorry to hear you have been restricted to home birding Mike, we hope you are well on the way to full mobility.
We are so looking forward to visiting our regular haunts and even a new one or two and bumping into a few of you again.
After last years success with Roller and Red Footed Falcon we are more than happy to see a few more :)
There is however unfinished buisness with Golden Oriole, Lesser Kestrel, Turtle Dove and the real pain that has become Wryneck. Homework has been completed pins have been pinned so now all we need now is our feathered friends to play ball and land close by for a good view, fingers crossed;)

Happy Birding to one and all.

T & C

Thank you TonyCath.
I’m well on the way to recovery and I even went out birding today at Salobrar de Campos for the first time in a while.
A couple of weeks ago, I tried to stop a young child from running into the road but I tripped over and fell very badly into some bicycle racks. I smashed a couple of ribs and damaged my arm badly.
All good now though, unless I sneeze. Ouch.
I bumped into Pep and Bigyear leader Biel at the salt pans this morning..
It was great talking to them and I got fired up for more birding adventures. With all the terns being seen up north, I expected a few at Salobrar but there was nothing. Very poor indeed, a few Redshank, Little stint and Ruff.
It’s still very windy which may have restricted the number of swift that patrol the marsh at this time of year.
My wife has suggested going to the finca pública galatzó this week which seems like a great idea. It’s a super place for migration. I think it is a regular spot for Biel so I will try not to find any rarities.

Mat. I’m sure Mike Swiss and StewB can suggest material for butterflies and dragonflies which we are all now enjoying more and more these days with some spectacular finds. There is plenty to see in June although the peak of migration will have passed.
Maria de la Salut will no doubt produce sightings of lesser kestrels.
Let me know when you are going there anyone, and I will try to say hello.
All the best, it’s great to be out again,
Mike

Thank you Mike; I think your positive recommendation of a summer visit is all the approval I need; will sort some dates; it will be based in my usual P.P hotel.... I will try to contact your two chaps too regarding the insects. I have the main field guides and historically was an entomologist but never branched into Europe, last September was a good introduction to the Dragonflies and thought then that a more purposeful trip would be in order. It will make a change from Scotland!
Thank you

I know StewB has a list of dragonflies seen in mallorca but I can’t find it. I’m sure he will post it.
I found the whole world of butterflies, moths and dragonflies irresistible and a great addition to my interests in the field.
I was with StewB when he identified the first vagrant emperor at s’Albufera. He was so thrilled that I found it contagious!
He also found a Monarch butterfly at Mortitx, the first of a massive invasion a couple of years back.. I then saw about 70 flying through Cap de Ses Salines and it was a fabulous and unforgettable day.
Dragonflies seem photogenic and I get great satisfaction from trying to capture some of these beautifully colored insects.
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN7368.jpeg
    DSCN7368.jpeg
    588.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN2177.jpeg
    DSCN2177.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Thank you TonyCath.
I’m well on the way to recovery and I even went out birding today at Salobrar de Campos for the first time in a while.
A couple of weeks ago, I tried to stop a young child from running into the road but I tripped over and fell very badly into some bicycle racks. I smashed a couple of ribs and damaged my arm badly.
All good now though, unless I sneeze. Ouch.
I bumped into Pep and Bigyear leader Biel at the salt pans this morning..
It was great talking to them and I got fired up for more birding adventures. With all the terns being seen up north, I expected a few at Salobrar but there was nothing. Very poor indeed, a few Redshank, Little stint and Ruff.
It’s still very windy which may have restricted the number of swift that patrol the marsh at this time of year.
My wife has suggested going to the finca pública galatzó this week which seems like a great idea. It’s a super place for migration. I think it is a regular spot for Biel so I will try not to find any rarities.

Mat. I’m sure Mike Swiss and StewB can suggest material for butterflies and dragonflies which we are all now enjoying more and more these days with some spectacular finds. There is plenty to see in June although the peak of migration will have passed.
Maria de la Salut will no doubt produce sightings of lesser kestrels.
Let me know when you are going there anyone, and I will try to say hello.
All the best, it’s great to be out again,
Mike
Glad to see you're out and about again – see you soon, packed up and ready to go this afternoon!:):):)

Thank you Mike; I think your positive recommendation of a summer visit is all the approval I need; will sort some dates; it will be based in my usual P.P hotel.... I will try to contact your two chaps too regarding the insects. I have the main field guides and historically was an entomologist but never branched into Europe, last September was a good introduction to the Dragonflies and thought then that a more purposeful trip would be in order. It will make a change from Scotland!
Thank you
The hide on Path 4 at Son Real is a good site for Two-tailed Pasha. Take some very ripe fruit which should tempt them down from the treetops. The hide will offer you some shade while you wait.
Jacki

Thank you to all providing the info; especially StewB; your Dragonfly paper is excellent. All booked now for mid June; can't wait for some hot weather as awful in UK . The few Yellow Wags will be wishing they should have waited for a later flight!

Thank you
Any moth records will be of interest and I can help with ids if needed.

Have a great time.

Gull-billed and Whiskered terns still being seen, especially up north, the depuradora at s’Albufera being very productive.
Other common migrants trickling in, some Willow warblers and a few beautiful Collared pratincole. What crackers they are.
Wryneck are very active here in the south with quite a few of them going full-pelt. Pretty loud they are too.
I wrote an article about wryneck recently and I’m surprised how many people wrote in the say they were calling from their gardens. I know of at least ten.
I guess they are very vocal at the moment, as well as Hoopoe, but once they settle down and procreate, they are not so obvious. I will try to find a location for a breeding pair or reliable site to see them. I always like to help fellow birders with particular requests. It’s marvelous to see people get their target birds so I hope all news is shared on here whenever possible.
Thanks
Mike

Gull-billed and Whiskered terns still being seen, especially up north, the depuradora at s’Albufera being very productive.
Other common migrants trickling in, some Willow warblers and a few beautiful Collared pratincole. What crackers they are.
Wryneck are very active here in the south with quite a few of them going full-pelt. Pretty loud they are too.
I wrote an article about wryneck recently and I’m surprised how many people wrote in the say they were calling from their gardens. I know of at least ten.
I guess they are very vocal at the moment, as well as Hoopoe, but once they settle down and procreate, they are not so obvious. I will try to find a location for a breeding pair or reliable site to see them. I always like to help fellow birders with particular requests. It’s marvelous to see people get their target birds so I hope all news is shared on here whenever possible.
Thanks
Mike
Hi Mike - i am sure others have had the same luck with Wryneck, but i have almost always seen a pair at the entrance to the Boquer, generally between the 2 gates leading to the finca, as well as in the orchard at the mouth of the valley....i have seen these in both late April and later into May. Hope this helps.

Jonny

I did say some time ago, that I could never tire of watching Balearic and Scopoli’s shearwaters passing south in the evening but tonight was pushing it. Nearly three hours of standing still, one eye peering relentlessly down the barrel of a telescope became somewhat tedious. Just five Shag provided minimal distraction. No sign of anything else.
Scopoli’s: 2,757
Balearic: 3,020
It wouldn’t be so bad if I’d had some company but nobody else seems mad enough to want to join me.
I like to count at least once a month to see how the numbers vary throughout the year.
April is generally an excellent time to be seawatching with skuas joining in and the possibility of Storm petrel.
I won’t be going for a while though, every time I close my eyes, all I can see is shearwaters. I won’t have trouble sleeping tonight then.
Mike

I did say some time ago, that I could never tire of watching Balearic and Scopoli’s shearwaters passing south in the evening but tonight was pushing it. Nearly three hours of standing still, one eye peering relentlessly down the barrel of a telescope became somewhat tedious. Just five Shag provided minimal distraction. No sign of anything else.
Scopoli’s: 2,757
Balearic: 3,020
It wouldn’t be so bad if I’d had some company but nobody else seems mad enough to want to join me.
I like to count at least once a month to see how the numbers vary throughout the year.
April is generally an excellent time to be seawatching with skuas joining in and the possibility of Storm petrel.
I won’t be going for a while though, every time I close my eyes, all I can see is shearwaters. I won’t have trouble sleeping tonight then.
Mike
I would surely join you Mike but the distance is one problem and also time. I understand you because in living close to sea in west Sweden I use to spend some hours every week and more during windy periods. Unfortunately, shearwaters is rare but so many others birds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back