• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 128RC (1 Viewer)

Baron Birder

I have been using the head with my scope for sometime. However lately even when it is in the locked position the scope has fallen off.
Anyone else had this problem. Is there something I can adjust or is it just time for a new one?
BB

I have been using the head with my scope for sometime. However lately even when it is in the locked position the scope has fallen off.
Anyone else had this problem. Is there something I can adjust or is it just time for a new one?
BB
Do you mean the head tilts? Or the scope falls off the head?

If the adapter plate is coming out without you releasing it, either something is broken, or you don't have it installed correctly.

Are you setting the safety catch to the locked position before you install the scope? This is the little brass lever near the main locking lever. It needs to be turned clockwise, toward the back to lock the release lever. If it is turned counterclockwise (anticlockwise) you can release the scope by just turning the release lever. This could be done accidentally and your scope will fall out.

If the adapter plate is coming out without you releasing it, either something is broken, or you don't have it installed correctly.

Are you setting the safety catch to the locked position before you install the scope? This is the little brass lever near the main locking lever. It needs to be turned clockwise, toward the back to lock the release lever. If it is turned counterclockwise (anticlockwise) you can release the scope by just turning the release lever. This could be done accidentally and your scope will fall out.
The scope locks in without an adapter plate. It is fitted in correctly and the locking pin locked but it still falls off

Are we safe to assume that you have tried it with the quick release plate ?
Does it do the same ?
Which ‘scope

I've been using this head with a Swarovski ATS80 (with and without the quick release plate) for years and never noticed this problem.

Are we safe to assume that you have tried it with the quick release plate ?
Does it do the same ?
Which ‘scope

I've been using this head with a Swarovski ATS80 (with and without the quick release plate) for years and never noticed this problem.
I am using it with my Swarovski ATS80HD. I too having been using it for years but on holiday now despite checking it is secure and locked twice I picked up the tripod and the scope fell off. I wondered whether there was something I needed to tighten or adjust?
As requested photos attached

Attachments

• EBF08A0C-9202-40D2-AB54-B49A2BCA28C4.jpeg
    EBF08A0C-9202-40D2-AB54-B49A2BCA28C4.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 31
  • EDAD6694-A988-45F5-AFB8-5646471A4F3F.jpeg
    EDAD6694-A988-45F5-AFB8-5646471A4F3F.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 31
It doesn't look like the foot is seated all the way in to me (unless it is the angle)?
Here is my 65:

16852011287528031468673987878342.jpg

Does the brass knob by the release switch compress all the way in?
16852012430705925909677112148941.jpg

The 128RC has been in production for a long time. Today they use PL-200 plates, one of the standard plates Manfrotto uses for their heads. In the past they used a different plate that looks similar, but is slightly different. The image attached shows on the left a PL-200 plate (older model), in the middle a current PL-200, and on the right the older plate Manfrotto used in the beginning. If you head is of the older variety and you use a PL-200 plate, the scope may fall off.

Please check if you use the right plate on your scope.

Hermann

Attachments

• Manfrotto Plates.JPG
    Manfrotto Plates.JPG
    932 KB · Views: 19
this is the style of quick release plate I have for my RC128, my monopod and hide clamp

Attachments

• IMG_0253.jpeg
    IMG_0253.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 0
I theory, not using a quick release plate could possibly cause damage to the foot of your ‘scope (I haven’t noted this on mine).
I prefer to use a quick release plate but not compulsory

I used to use a quick release plate with my old grey swarovski scope . However the foot of my current one fits into the 128 without the need for one. should I be using one anyway?
The plates for the 128RC do not mount securely to most scopes and end up producing a wobbly set up. I'd try to determine whether your problem is due to user error, or due to defective or worn elements. If there's an issue with the head, I'd buy a replacement 128RC, if the scope foot is worn, I'd send it in for replacement.

If you cannot force the scope off the head after securely attaching it the problem was most likely user error.

Try pressing the concave portion of the black lever in order get more of the cam onto the foot of your scope. If that does not work then it's likely a problem with the scope's foot and then you'd have to attach a plate in order to secure the scope to the head.

I believe I know what happened. The scope foot was probably not centered in the 128RC plate socket. The Swarovski and Meopta S2 scope feet (and probably Vortex) are narrower than the socket and can be improperly mounted over one of the "tabs" present on the sides of the socket so that the scope is not fully seated. One of the tabs is circled in blue in dwatsonbirder's photo below.

128RC Tab.jpg

These tabs weren't present in the 128RC's precursor, the 3130. The difference between the shapes of the center and right plates in Hermann's photo illustrate the design alteration.

I don't recall ever having this issue when I used an S2, but then my memory never was what it used to be. You could paint the tabs with some bright (white, yellow, oragne, etc.) fingernail polish to make them more visible and to serve as a reminder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back