• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marian’s Butterflies Photographic list for 2011 (2 Viewers)

Great thread, Marian. I'll keep visiting from time to time. I find the early butterflies are much more skittish than they are later in the year. I've only been able to get close to a few so far. I need to be more stealthy (or patient), I suppose.

Thank you, Cristian! ;) All three in post #20 are early Butterflies in C Spain… I find so interesting to compare populations and appearance of the Butterflies in different areas!!! o:)

And you, amigo Greg, WOW, what a nice surprise to see you here!!! :bounce: Hope you enjoy what I have to offer in this thread!!! I must add that patience and perseverance helps to take Butterflies pictures. In my case, most of the results shown in this thread (which are mediocre pictures from a professional point of view) are the selected picture among many far worse ones. Hope that comfort you! ;)

On the other hand, we are in May and I still have pictures from April to be sorted out! :eek!: The day has no enough hours to do all I need and want to do! :-O

Oh, well, a bit late but here it comes an update from the third week of April in one of my local patches. The big surprise this day was to see the blast of Small Tortoiseshells I saw!!! :eek!: It's not as common here as in England and I usually only see a few scattered ones during the season. But this time I saw many just in a little spot, what a treat!!! :bounce:

And another treat was to find finally a cooperative Wood White. I spotted my first one of the season the first week of April but was unable to take a decent picture until this day. I must add it's one of my ever favourites, so little and delicate!!! o:)

18. Small Tortoiseshell (Aglais urticae)
19. Wood White (Leptidea sinapis)

Attachments

• IMG_2702_Small Tortoiseshell_April2011.jpg
    IMG_2702_Small Tortoiseshell_April2011.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN1206_Wood White_April2011.jpg
    DSCN1206_Wood White_April2011.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 76
Hi Marian,

I haven't seen the Small Tortoiseshell around Bucharest (we are here in the middle of a large plain), but I've found it in the mountains where it seems to be a common species. The lowest altitude where I've seen it was around 600 meteres and the highest was around 2100 meteres).

Last edited:
Cristian, here Small Tortoiseshell seems to be a bit more Common at higher elevations too... really what I'm seeing this year is odd I think. In fact, I've seen another Small Tortoiseshell yestarday near the coast! :eek!:

And these are my last April Butterflies immortalized in photo. ;) Next post will be findings from May… I'm a bit late, as I'm still quite busy but I'll catch up soon.

This staff is from a sunny Sunday morning a few km away from my city, a lovely walking path by the river with plenty of vegetation that I've discovered not long ago and where I had been birding at the begining of the year, but not yet in Spring. It was a wonderful area for insects, I sure will go back several times during the season if I have the time, I'm longing for exploring this promising area! o:)

These are my three new Butterflies snapped:

20. Large Skipper (Ochlodes venatus)
21. Short-tailed Blue (Everes argiades) (This is a female)
22. Holly Blue (Celastrina argiolus)

The Large Skipper was very cooperative, and the first I saw this season. The Short-tailed Blue was an utter surprise, it's the first time I see one in Spring, I always see them during the second brood in August. And chuffed with getting the Holly Blue, finally!!! :bounce: I saw several during the month but they refused to land, only this well-behaved one was willing to please me! :-O

Attachments

• IMG_4049_Large Skipper_April2011.jpg
    IMG_4049_Large Skipper_April2011.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4057_Short-tailed Blue_April2011.jpg
    IMG_4057_Short-tailed Blue_April2011.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4241_Holly Blue_April2011.jpg
    IMG_4241_Holly Blue_April2011.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 74
It's a magical journey Marian... we ( Renu & I ) are thrilled to go through the posts ... you have God's gift amiga ...

Just got caught up with your 2011 Flutterby Blog Marian.
A super photographic record and some fantastic species.
Great to see the 'sooty ones' (copper and orange-tip) as we don't get to see them over here.
Best wishes,
The 'whites' (orange-tip sp. etc) are very difficult to photograph as they spend more time being helicopters than butterflies! They do seem to land for re-fueling as soon as a cloud goes over the sun though so then you get a fighting chance
Joe

Last edited:
Cristian, here we are having bad weather too, I've not found a single new Butterfly in the last week!!! :eek!: But I still have a few to upload from the begining of this month...

Alok and Renu, what a fantastic surprise to see you here... and thank you for your words, I'm so pleased you enjoyed checking!!! o:)

Joe, thank you very much for your remark, maybe I should try to look for Orangetip in not so sunny days, that might be my mistake, I always go Butterflying in hot days because Butterflies are quite active and easier to spot (and then the Orangetips are mega-active, :-O)...

And here you have my next Princess. Finally I got a Picture of a 2011 Brimstone after many attempts during the last weeks!!! o:) I got it during a break at work, it was so sunny and nice that I couldn't resist going out with the camera. I'm glad I didn't stay indoors! o:D

23. Brimstone (Gonepteryx rhami)

Attachments

• IMG_2375_Brimstone_May2011.jpg
    IMG_2375_Brimstone_May2011.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 45
How is it I have only just found this thread?

It is a brilliant idea, Marian, and I have so enjoyed looking at all the different species of butterflies you have photographed. Brilliant! :clap:

I shall pop in and out as time goes by. Thanks for a lovely visit.

And here you have my next Princess. Finally I got a Picture of a 2011 Brimstone after many attempts during the last weeks!!! o:) I got it during a break at work, it was so sunny and nice that I couldn't resist going out with the camera. I'm glad I didn't stay indoors! o:D

23. Brimstone (Gonepteryx rhami)

marvelous one Helwa g/f.

you did the right thing by going out, no use staying in at any break. i have arranged to have a break at 10 am, which is the best light in certain places in the empty lands around the college. my life revolves around birds i guess :-O

waiting for your updates g/f.

Thank you for your visit and words, girls!!! ;)

Helwa Doux g/f, I'm doing my best to have at least a short break a couple of days every week, otherwise I'll "explode" with stress!!! :eek!: This short breaks is no good for birding but is not bad for snapping insects, and that's what I'm doing the most lately.

And here you have my next May Butterflies, two species that I see for the first time in my region, and both in the same spot, only a few meters away one from the other... I was chuffed to bits with the finding!!! :bounce:

24. Marsh Fritillary (Euphydryas aurinia)
25. Green-underside Blue (Glaucopsiche alexis)

The poor Green-underside Blue was a bit worn out, but the big spots in the underwing are distinctive.

More coming soon!!! o:)

Attachments

• IMG_2306_Marsh Fritillary_May2011.jpg
    IMG_2306_Marsh Fritillary_May2011.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2353_Green-underside Blue_May2011.jpg
    IMG_2353_Green-underside Blue_May2011.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 61
Well, folks, with this post I finally caught up with my photoghaphed Butterflies! o:) This is one from a week ago, a Knapweed Fritillary… had to go through a good number of pictures to find one to post, the problem was the dreadful state of the poor thing, lacking a good bit of the left hindwing. Fortunately in this pic this is no seen and it just looks like a slightly worn out fellow! :-O

26. Knapweed Fritillary (Melithaea phoebe)

Last weekend I spotted Little Skipper and Marbled White but only could manage distant record shots :)-C) so I prefer to wait for a better chance to add them here.

Attachments

• IMG_4485_Knapweed Fritillary_May2011.jpg
    IMG_4485_Knapweed Fritillary_May2011.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 47
Sorry i didn't notice this thread before,Marian. I'll be keeping an eye on your Butterfly adventures from now on. They fly with wings of love on the path you chose. :t:

Thanks for sharing Marian, for a novice like myself, this thread and Christian's are always interesting, and if I can't id a butterfly I found, I look at your websites.

Andy

More fantastic additions Marian! Thank you for keeping this super thread going.
Better than any 'butterfly book' :clap: :clap:

... more brilliant additions Marian ... unbelievable level of dedication ... I confess I am yet to savor all of them ... like a greedy kid who on getting hold of his favorite cookie eats only a small bit each time ... to prolong the pleasure ... I'll come back again and again to this thread ...

o:) Thanks a million, Ove, Andy, Joe and Alok, your words are so encouraging!!! :bounce:

At this very moment I'm travelling to Madrid, to spend there the weekend. The Internet Mobile makes the trick! ;) If the weather allows (it's stormy at the moment, :eek!:) I'll go out birding and butterflying and hope to get something more to add here. You can't imagine how much I enjoy taking pictures of Butterflies, and to have the chance to share here what I find is so rewarding!!! :bounce:

Joe and Andy, I almost add here explanations on ID but finally I gave up fearing to bore the people! ;) Fritillaries are not always easy, let alone the Blues, and in Spain we have plenty species of both groups. Maybe I'll add some tips if I find species worthy of extra explanations.

Alok, I cross my fingers to be able to offer you regularly "bits of cookies" to keep you happy!!! :-O

Cheers everybody!!!! B :)

Love the Small White in your March upload,Marian. Lovely colours and the Butterfly does its best to look like a flower itself. I also love the soft touch to its wings. Excellent image!! :clap:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back