• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marian’s Butterflies Photographic list for 2011 (1 Viewer)

Thank you, Allen, you'll verify if it was a good weekend or not! ;)

Ove, I'm so glad you like that picture, thank you for telling me, amigo!!! o:) I was thinking about adding it to the gallery but feared the image quality wasn't good enough … in fact, that was one reason to start this thread, I was dying to share my Butterflies pictures without feeling ashamed of the quality, or worried to look useless with the camera. To share reasonable record shots is more fun! :bounce:

Well, and as you all can see I'm back from the weekend… but everything has been somehow chaotic! :eek!: I'll tell you the events in a next post (I'm in a rush now) but for the moment I'm leaving you with these two crackers. First one is probably the hit from the weekend, the spectacular Spanish Festoon, quite a common Butterfly but I've only seen it twice before, because I'm never at the right time of the year where they fly. This is my first picture of one, so I'm over the Moon and only for this encounter the weekend was worthwhile.

And the second is the gorgeous Cardinal, our biggest Fritillary… always a joy to find, very numerous and still an enjoyable thing to watch and photograph! :bounce:

More stuff very soon, hopefully!!! o:)

27. Spanish Festoon (Zerynthia rumina)
28. Cardinal (Argynnis pandora)

Attachments

• IMG_3269_Spanish Fentoon_May2011.jpg
    IMG_3269_Spanish Fentoon_May2011.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3493_Cardinal_May2011.jpg
    IMG_3493_Cardinal_May2011.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 45
U are back ... and I get my dose of cookies amiga ... and a double dose on that ...and first one to get it too... truly exhilarating images ...thnx Marian ... I have some butterfly images in my collection ... but know nothing about them ... may be I'll post them for u sometime...
And I would definitely try to capture some in future ..

Hi there, Alok!!! :hi:

Thank you for your words!!! o:) I should have added an update here but last week was mad and it was impossible for me to go through the rest of the previous weekend pictures! :eek!: And this weekend I've been away and just have got home and with loads of new Butterfly pictures... I fear you'll have an indigestion of "cockies", Alok, LOL!!! :'D

Hopefully soon more stuff, cheers everybody!!! B :)

Thnx dear Marian ... As u know I am a physician ... and will take care of indigestion ... and thnx a load for such lovely comments on our posts ... waiting for new pics ...

Two super butterflies from your weekend Marian.
The size of the Cardinal is awesome! Must look so impressive to watch flitting about.

Well, as a prize for being so kind to me with your nice words I’ve done the effort to check the remaining pictures from the previous weekend immediately! o:D

I was wondering if I could get 30 different Butterflies before the end of may, and… Eureka! I got it!!! ;) It could have been even better if bad luck wouldn’t have interfered… I only could be Butterflying for a few hours as the stormy weather made me go back home in the early afternoon. But I don’t want to complain, as I got the Large Tortoiseshell, a Butterfly I only saw twice before (first pic), and I saw a lifer too, the glorious Camberwell Beauty (sadly I couldn’t get even a record shot, sniff, :-C)

The other two pics are two typical little Blue Butterflies in C Spain at this time of the year, but I always enjoy snapping them, specially the Long-tailed Blue, I think it has a gorgeous pattern in the underwing!!! :bounce:

29. Large Tortoiseshell (Nymphalis polychloros)
30. Mazarine Blue (Cyaniris semiargus)
31. Long-tailed Blue (Lampides boeticus)

Just as a curiosity, first pic was taken with the Leica, second with the little Coolpix and third with the 50D... my sister says I look like a show carrying so many cameras in my outings! o:D

Attachments

• L1380821_Large Tortoiseshell_May2011.jpg
    L1380821_Large Tortoiseshell_May2011.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN1605_Mazarine Blue_Mayo2011.jpg
    DSCN1605_Mazarine Blue_Mayo2011.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4940_Long-tailed Blue_May2011.jpg
    IMG_4940_Long-tailed Blue_May2011.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 49
Three top images Marian ... Tortoiseshell is brilliant ... and the two blue-ies are sublime ... I am sure of seeing similar ones in India , apprecated their beauty but never really bothered to take pics. .. Now I'm really inspired ... Thnx so much Amiga ...

Well, it took me some time to find time to go through the past weekend pictures. I still didn't finish but I'm adding now a little bunch of varied looking species. On the other hand, I have a couple of doubtful species that I have to study carefully… hope to sort them out soon.

For now, I hope you enjoy this colourful group!!! o:)

Amigo Alok, I'm glad you can take care of your stomach because what is coming in the following days will be hard to digest!!! :-O By the way, I've just noticed your Avatar... I don't know when you added it (I've been away from here for a few days) but I like it loads!!! o:)

32. Safflower Skipper (Pyrgus carthami)
33. Twin-spot Fritillary (Brenthis hecate)
34. Black-veined White (Aporia crataegi)
35. Adonis Blue (Lysandra bellargus)

Attachments

• IMG_5147_Safflower skipper_June2011.jpg
    IMG_5147_Safflower skipper_June2011.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5187_Twin-spot Fritillary_Jun2011.jpg
    IMG_5187_Twin-spot Fritillary_Jun2011.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5206_Black-veined White_June2011.jpg
    IMG_5206_Black-veined White_June2011.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5641_Adonis Blue_June2011.jpg
    IMG_5641_Adonis Blue_June2011.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 43
Brilliant new posts all ... great sharing Marian ... I like the Twin-star the most... it resembles beautiful folk paintings of Mithila region in India ....
Thnx for liking the Avatar ... I have a poem added too as my signature ... it is not showing here somehow ... hope u like that too ... shows with my comments on other Forum posts...

... now the signature is seen here ... some server glitches probably ... waiting to see the stunners u are mentioning Marian ...

Just dipped in again to see if there were any new butterflies for me to admire, and I wasn't disappointed! Some real stunners there, Marian. Thank you!

Beautiful Butterflys Marion .. here in NJ i've only come across Americam Lady so far .. going out w/my Coolpix 4500 + 5x Eagle Eye to capture a few more flys, moths, dragons or whatever.

Your doing great - love the pics .. be back to see you moonbuster :t:

screech

All beautifuly taken Marion , love this delightful new addition.

Hope to be out butterflying tomarrow myself :t: :t:

screech

Thank you everybody for your words and kindness... I'm really sorry but my life is a whirlpool at present and finding time to come here with updates is hard. :-C But to make for the lack of updates here it comes a Butterfies galore!!! ;)

Took me ages to sort out the pictures fron my last weekend away (3 weeks ago, time flies, :eek!:) but it's finally done and all the Butterflies identified... well, not all, a couple of highly difficult species couldn't be IDed, not even the experts could, so I'm not adding them because they really are too close-looking to others and I don't want to bore you with those stories.

So, here you have some beauties I'm mega-chuffed with:

36. Pearly Heath (Coenonympha arcania)
37. Turquoise Blue (Plebicula dorylas)
38. Osiris Blue (Cupido osiris)
39. Spanish Fritillary (Euphydryas desfontainii)

The Osiris Blue and the Spanish fritillary are only my second ones, so I'm over the Moon finding them again!!! :bounce:

Attachments

• IMG_5332_Pearly Heath_June2011.jpg
    IMG_5332_Pearly Heath_June2011.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1142_Turquoise Blue_June2011.jpg
    IMG_1142_Turquoise Blue_June2011.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5442_Osiris Blue_June2011.jpg
    IMG_5442_Osiris Blue_June2011.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5470_Spanish Fritillary_June2011.jpg
    IMG_5470_Spanish Fritillary_June2011.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 41
And these are the last ones from the first weekend away of June:

40. Purple Spot Copper (Lycaena alciphon)
41. Small Blue (Cupido minimus)
42. Granville Fritillary (Melitaea cinxia)

And more coming in a moment (I told you it would be a Butterflies galore, ;) :-O)

Attachments

• IMG_5727_Purple Shot Copper_June2011.jpg
    IMG_5727_Purple Shot Copper_June2011.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN1640_Small Blue_June2011.jpg
    DSCN1640_Small Blue_June2011.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5280_Granville Fritillary_June2011.jpg
    IMG_5280_Granville Fritillary_June2011.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 34
Great pictures and beautiful butterflies, Marian. I'll have to update my thread too (because I have a lot of pics with butterflies taken on June 26th...).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back