• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maybe 2 Vireos, South Padre Island Convention Ctr, TX, USA (1 Viewer)

River Girl

Supporter
United States
I think 1 bird may be an immature Black-whiskered Vireo and the other may be Cassin's? Seen about noon, no other birders around. Neither of those birds have been reported that I know of.? Black-whiskered_Vireo.jpg? Black-whiskered_Vireo.2.jpg
Thank you.

Attachments

• ? bird.2.jpg
    ? bird.2.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 28
  • ? bird.3.jpg
    ? bird.3.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 25
  • ? bird.jpg
    ? bird.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
Hi. Yes, pics one and two look pretty good for a Black Whiskered, not sure about 3,4 and 5, though, could be a Bell's Vireo?

Your cassin's looks more like bell's to me. Not seeing strong white lores and eye ring here.

Less sure about the first: it doesn't shout black-whiskered (I've recently seen lots: not seeing the whisker here and the beak doesn't look big enough), but I can't unequivocally assign it to warbling (or possibly) Philadelphia

Photos 1 and 2 show a Warbling Vireo. Not sure about the others, but thinking probably Bell's.
Agree with the IDs, Warbling Vireo as the chest/belly is paler and the line that goes through the eye does not reach the bill like in a Philadelphia. The other vireo is a Bell's Vireo of the Eastern subspecies, which is why it's more yellowish overall.

Hi. Yes, pics one and two look pretty good for a Black Whiskered, not sure about 3,4 and 5, though, could be a Bell's Vireo?
Black-whiskered is an overall rare bird in Texas, that's best thought of as a Red-eyed Vireo without a red eye and a "whisker" in the throat area. Personal opinion, but they look like "mean" vireos instead of the big eyed "cute" look other vireo species have, including the Warbling Vireo in these photos.

Great photos, River Girl. I can see why you asked for help. I think I would have too. This is the third, fourth? time I have been back to look at photos 1 & 2. I don't know why this seems so hard for me. It just seemed off to me for Warbling Vireo. In the end, I agree, because I can't call it a young Red-eyed Vireo. Warbling fits better (I guess:)) Maybe it's because it's different ssp than I'm used to seeing? The face seemed a little too patterned. The supercillium a little long. The cheek a little too brown. An almost malar stripe? The bill a little too long. The wings a little too long. The whole bird a little too long and not 'stubby' enough. The first picture finally convinced me of Warbling, but the angle of the bird in the second photo plays with my brain. I did read that the western swainsoni has a slighter bill. Also, the white under the eye fits Warbling and the eye stripe would be more prominent in Red-eyed. Agree with Warbling and Bell's (although the Bell's I see here in West Mexico looks different too!). I'm tired. Good-night.

Last edited:
Great photos, River Girl. I can see why you asked for help. I think I would have too. This is the third, fourth? time I have been back to look at photos 1 & 2. I don't know why this seems so hard for me. It just seemed off to me for Warbling Vireo. In the end, I agree, because I can't call it a young Red-eyed Vireo. Warbling fits better (I guess:)) Maybe it's because it's different ssp than I'm used to seeing? The face seemed a little too patterned. The supercillium a little long. The cheek a little too grey. An almost malar stripe? The bill a little too long. The wings a little too long. The whole bird a little too long and not 'stubby' enough. The first picture finally convinced me of Warbling, but the angle of the bird in the second photo plays with my brain. I did read that the western swainsoni has a slighter bill. Also, the white under the eye fits Warbling and the eye stripe would be more prominent in Red-eyed. Agree with Warbling and Bell's (although the Bell's I see here in West Mexico looks different too!). I'm tired. Good-night.
(Broadly echoes my thoughts. In contrast, as I noted, bill is short/wimpy for black-whiskered, there's no black whisker. I'd add that the pale lines on the face are rather more contrasting with the background than I'd expect. In summary, perhaps warbling but with doubts)

After your reply I have studied Sibley's descriptions and I think the second bird is a Bell's Vireo. I believe I found one in the Mangroves here a few years ago. I do notice the legs are blue. Is that true of all Vireos? I'll check my photo library. Thank you. Also, while rare we have seen the Black-whiskered come in on a Big Sit day, although it was likely an adult and the plumage was more defined

I think a good comparison picture for the first two is this black-whiskered:
Very different face to my mind.

For what it's worth, my first impression when looking at these was Warbling V
Niels

I think a good comparison picture for the first two is this black-whiskered:
Very different face to my mind.

For what it's worth, my first impression when looking at these was Warbling V
Niels
Agree: note large bill here. In OP photos, first image gives impression of delicate bill, second appears more robust [but still not as big as here suggest]

A good starting point with Vireos is the bill, both length and thickness. In this case both individuals have shorter (ruling out Red-eyes/black-whiskered), thinner (ruling out Cassin's/Blue-headed) bills.

As I think is the general consensus now: first two pics are of a Warbling, rest are a Bell's.

A good starting point with Vireos is the bill, both length and thickness. In this case both individuals have shorter (ruling out Red-eyes/black-whiskered), thinner (ruling out Cassin's/Blue-headed) bills.

As I think is the general consensus now: first two pics are of a Warbling, rest are a Bell's.
Thank you. That seems to be something clear to give attention to for an identification. I will report them accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back