• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Meostar B2? (1 Viewer)

Arvind

India
Is there any news about B2 upgrade of Meostar? Meopta insiders may chime in as to whether any such plan for B2 upgrade is underway or not?

Hi, rumor has it Meopta is for sale now. So we will see how things will play out.
I sure hope you are wrong ! More times than not when companies are bought out both employees and their products suffer. I’d hate to see either happen regarding the possibility of Meopta changing hands.

We will see. Apparently one of the companies interested is Zeiss. Meopta officially does not comment anything so time will tell.

We will see. Apparently one of the companies interested is Zeiss. Meopta officially does not comment anything so time will tell.
I can understand why Zeiss or for that matter even if Swarovski would want to purchase Meopta. I would bet both Zeiss as well as Swarovski loose a good chunk of $$$$$$ because of sales loss to Meopta.

The whole Meopta Group. The owner and major shareholder passed away at 90 years old in 2018. His son and nephew are the owners/major shareholders. Deloite is carrying out the sale. Meopta, Zeiss and no one else officially comment anything. This is all the information there is so far.

Obviously anything can happen, several companies can buy several parts of Meopta or one company can buy all.... So we will see.

Hi gabik (post #7),

Thanks for that. Presumedly any sale will need to take into account a variety of conditions imposed by the Czech government,
including in relation to the ongoing provision of various high level technological capabilities,
especially following the events on and after 24th February 2022 *

John

* Coincidentally on that day, the Czech Ministry of Foreign Affairs released a statement entitled 'Countering Terrorism',
see at: Countering Terrorism | Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic
It provides a link to to the overarching Czech Security Strategy document of 2015.

Last edited:
Hi John,

good point, I suppose Zeiss is safe enough :) I read on czech forums that apparently Meopta supplies Swarowski with glass, so if Zeiss buys them it would be quite interesting situation though :).

Hi John,

good point, I suppose Zeiss is safe enough :) I read on czech forums that apparently Meopta supplies Swarowski with glass, so if Zeiss buys them it would be quite interesting situation though :).
Hello,

I was told, by someone who visited the Meopta plant, years ago, that Meopta provided unfinished prisms for that Austrian brand.

Arthur

I was interested in good 15x56 with least possible CA for $1500. Googled for this and shortlisted Meostar B1+. Does any other 15x56 have lesser CA? Please advise.

Last edited:
I was interested in good 15x56 with least possible CA for $1500. Googled for this and shortlisted Meostar B1+. Does any other 15x56 has lesser CA? Please advise.
I don't know about that model particularly, but my Meostar 10x42 is exemplary as far as CA is concerned.
I haven't seen better in that department if i'm honest.
I would imagine the 15x would be similar (y)

I was interested in good 15x56 with least possible CA for $1500. Googled for this and shortlisted Meostar B1+. Does any other 15x56 have lesser CA? Please advise.
The current Swaro is exceptional in CA control too, but over budget unless you can get a good deal on a used one. Both the Vortex and Zeiss offerings are sharp and pretty decent but both show pronounced CA. I've not tried the Meostar but it is reputedly very good.

Hi Arvind (post #16),

I'm not sure what you've found so far about the Meopta 15x56, but this may provide some helpful links:

And also see the first thread in 'Similar Threads' at the bottom of the page.

John

Hey, I'm just seeing this thread. I emailed Meopta in October 2022 about the B2's. I found a thread on here quoting a Meopta representative as saying B2 release date was either late 2022 or 2023. So I wanted to see what they had to say. This was the reply I was given when I messaged them a few months ago:

Currently there is no release date for a B2 MeoStar binocular. We are still planning this for the future, but not any time soon. Thank you,

If the company really is going for sale then I might have to buy their 12x50 B1+ as I have been eye'ing those for a very long time. Perhaps the delay in the B2's isn't just supply shortage but also due to the sale. Leave the launch of a new product line to the new owners or table/cannibalize it altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back