• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Meostar B2? (2 Viewers)

I noticed it here two. Not sure at what stage they have B2 but Covid did shaken things up. So they might have slight delay. But my guess is as good as anyone's.

Funny enough, I just logged in to comment on this. The meopta store website has increased prices by at least $200-300

The maven b.1 hd 15x60 used to be around $1650 in the store (and I think that may have included a small price increase/premium on the store outlet itself while being cheaper elsewhere) but now they are around $2100 in the store.

The funny thing for this past new year's 2023 the store actually had a 10% discount on all items. I feel like the meopta store has always had a slight premium compared to other 3rd party dealers selling their glass.

They're potentially sending customers to the mavens which supposedly also have the special glass and are still only $1,550 surprisingly.

I can understand why Zeiss or for that matter even if Swarovski would want to purchase Meopta. I would bet both Zeiss as well as Swarovski loose a good chunk of $$$$$$ because of sales loss to Meopta.
As the Godfather said: Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

Hey, I'm just seeing this thread. I emailed Meopta in October 2022 about the B2's. I found a thread on here quoting a Meopta representative as saying B2 release date was either late 2022 or 2023. So I wanted to see what they had to say. This was the reply I was given when I messaged them a few months ago:

If the company really is going for sale then I might have to buy their 12x50 B1+ as I have been eye'ing those for a very long time. Perhaps the delay in the B2's isn't just supply shortage but also due to the sale. Leave the launch of a new product line to the new owners or table/cannibalize it altogether.
I would imagine Zeiss and Swarovski would relish having those new innovations to make an Überfernglas for themselves and then charge buyers $4k for a new line of Zeiss/Swaro B2 (alpha) Bombers.

Leica took 30 years to reinvent the wheel with the Noctivid, so I can't seem them clamoring for innovations.

As much as I would love to see Meopta bought by a Japanse company, to give the Teutonics less monoply on the high end market and reduce prices for those who like fine optics but who are not lawyers, bankers or real estate moguls, Nikon is digging itself out of the DSLR money pit, so it won't be in the bidding. Does Kamakura have the yen to make a mark? :) Would Fujinon want to get serious about making roofs?

I wrote earlier I suspected the B2 patents might be like auto protoypes for future designs, but now I'm thinking they may be Meopta trying to up the ante on the company's sale (assuming the rumors are true).

Brock

"Leica took 30 years to reinvent the wheel with the Noctivid, so I can't seem them clamoring for innovations".

How many Leica binoculars do you have Brock? Have you had any time with a Noctivid?

So, an update from me. Apparently the deal is almost finished, for now it's just off the record. Meopta is sold for 700 millions of Euros to (American I believe) private equity fund Carlyle Group. They already have in portfolio Tescan Orsay (apparently, they are Microscope manufacturer). Carl Zeiss lost exclusivity on the deal sometime towards the end of last year, they were just unable to close the deal together.

Once the deal is sealed and all things settled, fingers crossed Meopta will keep the bino division up and running and will come up with B2 eventually. Ironically, Meopta binos is non-existent in brick-and-mortar shops in Czechia (their country of origin). I was able to try and compare Leica and Swaro, I went for the Swarovski (NL Pure), amazing binoculars.

I personally would not mind Nikon going for Meopta as I am a Nikon shooter. But I think Nikon was never mentioned as interested party.

So, an update from me. Apparently the deal is almost finished, for now it's just off the record. Meopta is sold for 700 millions of Euros to (American I believe) private equity fund Carlyle Group. They already have in portfolio Tescan Orsay (apparently, they are Microscope manufacturer). Carl Zeiss lost exclusivity on the deal sometime towards the end of last year, they were just unable to close the deal together.

Once the deal is sealed and all things settled, fingers crossed Meopta will keep the bino division up and running and will come up with B2 eventually. Ironically, Meopta binos is non-existent in brick-and-mortar shops in Czechia (their country of origin). I was able to try and compare Leica and Swaro, I went for the Swarovski (NL Pure), amazing binoculars.

I personally would not mind Nikon going for Meopta as I am a Nikon shooter. But I think Nikon was never mentioned as interested party.
Well now that the 'sale' is done and over with; that is part one. Now, part two....what are they going to do with this company? Kind of like Olympus cameras being sold and 'now what?'...same with Meopta. I am hoping for a new B2 as well in 8x32 or 8x30. Not cheapened out either...

I guess time will tell. Japanese companies are sold basically to Japanese central bank which kind of keeps things and employment afloat. This is a deal where investment company wants to make money. We will see.

Meopta has recently posted a number of news items on it’s site, though as yet none concerning the sale, see at: News | Meopta :: Better view of the world

One dated the 18th May, is about successfully tendering to provide the UTAAS (Universal Tank and Anti-Aircraft Fire Control System) targeting technology,
for the Mk IV version of the CV90 infantry fighting vehicle, to be produced by the Swedish division of BAE Systems *

So Meopta will necessarily remain an ongoing concern, at least in some form. Though as gabik notes, the binocular (sports optics) division is a small part of the overall operations.

As the news item states:
'Meopta is one of the strategic companies in the Czech Republic and this year marks its 90th anniversary since its founding, when it began developing telescopes, observation devices, and scopes for civilian and military use.

Today, Meopta is a global technology company with partners worldwide and advanced manufacturing facilities in the Czech Republic and the United States.
It employs 1,700 people, with 99% of its production exported to over 70 countries around the world.

Meopta now develops and manufactures advanced optical and optoelectronic systems, ranging from military and sports optics to semiconductors, digital cinema projection, medical, and industrial applications. A significant competitive advantage is its own development center and industrial quality control.'

John

* For more details, see the BAE press release of the 24th May at: https://www.baesystems.com/en/artic...rds-bae-systems-contract-to-acquire-246-cv90s

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back